Some thoughts on River Tam (Firefly)

Susano

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Some thoughts on River Tam (Firefly)

If you're not cheating, you're not trying.

If you're not winning, you're not cheating enough.

--My favorite martial arts teacher of all time.

My family has traditionally trained in Kerchunk. The art of the modern rifle.

:D

I sat in on an aikido class with my friends once. within a day or so she had them working with Bokken also, as she wanted them to understand where the roots were.

one class, and I spent most of the next day stuck in bed. I hurt so bad that I couldn't make myself get up and take painkillers for 3 hours!

• 2 weeks later...

Point: River was being developed and trained to be an assassin for the Alliance. They might have done something to her that would allow her to trigger and use her hysterical strength. The kind that allows a 120 pound mother to lift the end of a 2500+ pound car off of her son. That, coupled with the knowledge of how and where to hit a human to incapacitate, cripple or kill them, would make River very deadly.

I had a karate instructor who told me that I was doing a running jump kick wrong because I was jumping off of the wrong foot. I tried doing it his way and could knock a heavy, hanging punching bag about 60 degrees from the vertical. I asked if I could show him what I could do my way, and when I did, I knocked the bag up against the ceiling, breaking one of the tiles. Since the course focused a lot on personal defense, the instructor often had students concentrate on areas where they were more proficient. Onw woman hed trouble punching but was great at tripping. So he showed her ever better ways to trip. After I kicked the bag at the ceiling, he looked at the pieces of the broken tile and told me to do it my way.

He aslo used to say "If you have to hit someone, hit them hard enough to knock them down. If you have to knock someone down, hit them hard enough so they can't get up."

Point: River was being developed and trained to be an assassin for the Alliance. They might have done something to her that would allow her to trigger and use her hysterical strength. The kind that allows a 120 pound mother to lift the end of a 2500+ pound car off of her son. That' date=' coupled with the knowledge of how and where to hit a human to incapacitate, cripple or kill them, would make River very deadly.[/quote']

Well, River has already proven herself great at acting hysterical.

JG

I had a karate instructor who told me that I was doing a running jump kick wrong because I was jumping off of the wrong foot.

~snipped for brevity~

After I kicked the bag at the ceiling, he looked at the pieces of the broken tile and told me to do it my way.

A perfect example of Bruce Lee's philosophy... "The correct method is whatever works."

A perfect example of Bruce Lee's philosophy... "The correct method is whatever works."

OTOH, it's possible to be doing something the "wrong" way and overcome your bad technique through sheer force. Then when you start trying to do it the "right" way, there is frequently a period where your performance drops significantly until you have retrained yourself to the new technique and wind up better than ever. Not saying that's true in Benjdragon's case, but I've found it true in many things I've done, not just the martial arts.

Sometimes "You must unlearn what you have learned" really holds true. :)