bionacle hero..hmmm

grymlocke

I was watching the old idiot box (ie, TV) the other day and a commercial came on for those bionacle toys....the robots, masks, matanui, a bio of their world, I'm sure you've seen them.....and got to thinking campaign idea....

PC's are IA robots built by alien race (human?) and set to work terra-forming a world...in the process, a silicone-based life form is disturbed that respons to this invasion by taking over hosts to fight (the masks).

no off-world aid (communication cut, forgotten about, etc...), limited resourses (most of world is still wild, just a few major urban centers and outposts)....

hostile alien animals, villianious(?) alien mind set on revenge, isolated location (far distant alien world), wild and urban with little if any 'middle' enviroments....

any thoughts?

ok, I know this is a rambling post, think of it as thinking out loud, brainstorming....

Actually, the Bionicle idea seems like a pretty cool one. Being as how I'm pushing thirty, I'm a little too old to have been playing with legos (but pretending to be a superhero with a bunch of other people on the weekends is okay right?)... :D

That being said, the more I checked out the website, the more do-able it seems.

try this link...

http://www.lego.com/eng/bionicle/default.asp

there's a website?.....

if people think it a do-able idea, then i'll put some work into it and see what happens.....and i'm 40 also, I still watch cartoons (anime mostly), play rpg's (since d&d was a white box) and champions had a grey cover (i still have those micro-D6's too...) and I sit infront of a computer drawing techinical pictures thinking about how (if I where a mastermind villian) to take over the world........

....to prove my mousey worth.....(its a pinky & the brain thing)

:rolleyes:

thanks, i'll post what I do.....

Originally posted by grymlocke

there's a website?.....

....to prove my mousey worth.....(its a pinky & the brain thing)

:rolleyes:

So what're we gonna do tonight, Brain?

Same thing we do every night, Pinky..........TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!!!!!!! :D

What's wrong with gaming at an age that doesn't end with the suffix "teen"? Myself I'm pushing thirty, still watch cartoons, I probably play more with my kids toys than I do my own, and don't plan to stop playing until they can pry FREd from my cold, dead fingers....

Originally posted by Syberdwarf2

So what're we gonna do tonight, Brain?

Same thing we do every night, Pinky..........TRY TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!!!!!!! :D

and don't plan to stop... until they can pry FREd from my cold, dead fingers....

you should see the junk that migrated into my cubicle.....talk about toys...

anyway, I looked at the website, played the game a bit.....looks like it could translate into a campaign with little more that building the creatures, but the infor----almost directly, i think

:D

Originally posted by nolgroth

Why doesn't it surprise me that the people here seem a little older than the D20 crowd?

i've been playing for a very long time, (since '79) and have given most systems a shot over the years....dnd in all editions, aftermath, space opera, gamma world, MERP, Marrow Project...etc...

for me, the appeal of hero....its a more 'mature' system than the d20, no 'classes' to pigeon -hole a player into, no artificial ranking system that does little more than play into the munchkin/ power-gamer /lawer hands....hero, requires forethought in adventure and character creations, as a result, a certain depth is created that is lacking in other systems. Also, DnD (as an example) began as a WARGAME !!! a tabletop, minis game that branched into an rpg, (i was around then, and played it, remmember 'chainmail'? little grey spiral-bound book?) it (DnD) still retains those elements....that find it, kill it, take its teasure while chanting 'ECKS-PEE', ECKS-PEE' feel..... most following rpg's borrowed from the DnD model, hero from the beginning (I had the blue box, with the GREY champions book & microdice) 'felt' different, still does and probably always will.....a feel of sophistication

did that make sense?

Sure did grymlocke. My first experience with HERO was with 4th Edition. While I have enjoyed my other role-playing experiences, HERO was the best system I have ever played with. It takes a lot of patience and imagination to tailor to a specific need, but I thought that this hobby was all about imagination. Well, these last couple of messages have completely deviated from the thread. Sorry guys and gals.