New-model Dalek

Michael Hopcroft

the new Daleks have some capabilties that are not normally associated with Daleks (they could probably always do these things, but the budget did not permit). These include:

1. A force field powerful enough to repel bullets.

2. The weapon being able to fire different types of energy blasts for different occasions, most ntoably electocity (it kills dozen of men with one shot by sretting off the spinkelrs, taking off, and firing an electroc shock into the sopping wet floor stong enough to electrocute everyone in the room).

3. Actual flight (apparently it takes a lot of power, so it could only do it for limited times, but it's a great way around the stair problem).

4. The use of the plunger as a weapon in hand-to-hand combat.

5. Daleks can apparently interface with any computer system, no matter what its origin, and absorb all the inromation in any computer the target is networked with. The Dalek was able to download the entire Internet in fifteen second.

Suddenly Daleks got a lot more expensive in HERO terms, not to mention a whole lot deadlier. And if one Dalek can decomate an entire regiment of highjly-traiend solider,s what can a squad or platoon of them do?

Re: New-model Dalek

I am so jealous. I wish I could see the new DR. Who. I hope, yes I doubt it will happen, that BBC America or some smart station here in America will start to play it so I can see it.

IMO, these are things that the Daleks should always have been able to do. This is why I was thinking about doing a DR Who campaign, but was going to "re-imagine"' it.

Now of course I am GMing my Champs campaign. Of course, I can still use the Daleks now cant I :)

I am so jealous. I wish I could see the new DR. Who. I hope' date=' yes I doubt it will happen, that BBC America or some smart station here in America will start to play it so I can see it.[/quote']

Of ym DVD burner had not chosen this particular moment to die a hideous death, I might have been able to do something about that.

IMO' date=' these are things that the Daleks should always have been able to do. This is why I was thinking about doing a DR Who campaign, but was going to "re-imagine"' it.[/quote']

That is interesting.

Now of course I am GMing my Champs campaign. Of course' date=' I can still use the Daleks now cant I :)[/quote']

Yes you can. You could also use the Doctor as an occasional NPC. it's your camapign, and you don't have to publish anything. The response of a Time lord to humans with superpowers could be quite interesting, especially to supers who use their powers as a substitute for their brains.

1) The force field is explained as "melting bullets" by the Doctor - although the special effect is closer to disintergration, or possibly a variation on teleportation/dimensional movement - as they just fade away to nothing.

2) This could just be a plasma blast - highly charged. Either it burns or electrocutes. Different from the Sylvester McCoy (7th Doctor) Daleks - which used some form of gravity gun and basically liquified the insides of people (bones and all).

3) Very slow. Slower than its normal speed (about human walking speed). But then, if you have the ultimate death machine, you want it to approach with menace :) This is not new, however - they went up stairs for Sylvester McCoy. The SFX are much better now, though (of course).

4) This is new.

5) This has been implied before, but not shown.

I'll add a few more too-

6) Turret weapon. The gun now can rotate independantly of the body's orientation (for some reason it reminds me of the Battletech torso-twist, even though it is a full 360 degrees).

7) Self destruct. Can completely disintegrate. Possibly this could also be a one-use weapon as well - but not against large targets (or perhaps it becomes proportionally weaker with increase in radius).

8) Regeneration. The mechanical parts of a Dalek can self-repair through draining large amounts of electricity. The organic parts of a Dalek can self-repair from absorbing the DNA of any that touch the casing. With two problems - those that touch the Dalek then immolate unless they are a time traveller - if they are a time traveller (have been changed by the Tardis, or temporal things) then the Dalek may mutate, combining the DNA with its own.

9) Hibernation or longevity, or maybe even immortality. They don't require food and can survive indefinately (not yet been tested) without any source of energy. Completly self-contained (but then, that's the point).

• 2 weeks later...

I'll add a few more too-

6) Turret weapon. The gun now can rotate independantly of the body's orientation (for some reason it reminds me of the Battletech torso-twist, even though it is a full 360 degrees).

In game terms, the weapon and the Dalek ignore facing altogether. it can see, fire and move in any direction. Terms like "front" and "back" are meaningless when dealign with it.

7.) Self destruct. Can completely disintegrate. Possibly this could also be a one-use weapon as well - but not against large targets (or perhaps it becomes proportionally weaker with increase in radius).

A self-destruct is useful if you don't want your enemies stealing your technology. I'm not sure it would be used against targets other than the Dalek itself, though -- maybe "Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways" will answer that question.

8) Regeneration. The mechanical parts of a Dalek can self-repair through draining large amounts of electricity. The organic parts of a Dalek can self-repair from absorbing the DNA of any that touch the casing. With two problems - those that touch the Dalek then immolate unless they are a time traveller - if they are a time traveller (have been changed by the Tardis, or temporal things) then the Dalek may mutate, combining the DNA with its own.

Easy enough to do in system terms if you treat the entire Dalek as a character.

9) Hibernation or longevity, or maybe even immortality. They don't require food and can survive indefinately (not yet been tested) without any source of energy. Completly self-contained (but then, that's the point).

It follows from what had happened to that Dallek in the past that it could also survivie not only exposure to hard vacuum but also atmospheric re-entry. (Although it took the Dalek some time to recoever from falling to Earth, and it was a hideously painful experience.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the final two-episode story of the season ("Bad Wolf"/"The Parting of the Ways") is going to feature an enormous fleet and army of new-style Daleks. Now we will get to see how these Daleks, with all their new and powerful abailties, operate in a group.

It should be utterly cool. "We'll rent you the whole flat, but you'll only need the sofa -- to hide behind...."

It's a Kaled backwards :)

Sorry ;-p

The Kaleds had a massive war with this other race on their planet, and as they were nearing the end (and all dieing) their chief scientist, Davros, came up with a plan to genetically engineer a super race to carry on after the Kaleds ceased to be...

They're basically brains in jars. It just so happens that the jars are mobile tanks with huge amounts of weaponry, and shapped like a pepper-pot.

Here's a link-

http://www.daleklinks.co.uk/

mi5.jpg

The BBC episode guide for Dr Who: Dalek is here. Daleks are a race of once humanoid beings that where involved in a mutigenic war (Nukes and Biologics were used). To "Save the race" the most brillent of their scientists (Davros) sped up the mutations leding to a creation of a form that was nothing more then a Brain with enough simple organs to surrvive in a vessle (a brain in a jar) that jar just happens to be a personal battle tank. There goal of surrvial at all cost mutated in to conquest of all know space (Mainly becuase of Davros' hidden agenda.) Last I knew Davros surrvied being buried alive and was saved by his creation millinia after they were created. Davros turned him self into the Empirer Dalek (spelling).

But that is more then you need to know just follow the link. :whistle: T

7) Self destruct. Can completely disintegrate. Possibly this could also be a one-use weapon as well - but not against large targets (or perhaps it becomes proportionally weaker with increase in radius).

Haven't seen the new Doctor, but didn't a Dalek self-destruct in Sylvester McCoy's Dalek episode?

the new Daleks have some capabilties that are not normally associated with Daleks (they could probably always do these things, but the budget did not permit). These include:

1. A force field powerful enough to repel bullets.

3. Actual flight (apparently it takes a lot of power, so it could only do it for limited times, but it's a great way around the stair problem).

As originally statted in the Dr Who RPG the Daleks were bulletproof anyway. The new force field seems a logical extra.

The flight ability has been there since the Sylvester McCoy era *spit spit*.

As originally statted in the Dr Who RPG the Daleks were bulletproof anyway. The new force field seems a logical extra.

The flight ability has been there since the Sylvester McCoy era *spit spit*.

We have actually seen Daleks ignore bullets on many occasions. I believe that Daleks waded through rifle-armed troops in the Pertwee and Davidson eras (and possible the Troughten era as well)

• 4 weeks later...

The Daleks actually came back for the climax of the new season, "Bad Wofl/Parting of the Ways". Turns out they become indirectly responsible for the "death" of the Eccleston Doctor (haven't seen it yet, and from what i hear it's such a dynamite epiosde that if I had I wouldn't spoil it anyway.)

From what I've told by the end of that epsidoe the last Daleks had finally been expunged from all of Time and Space, but if there's one thing I've learned from twenty-two years in this fandom it's never count the Daleks out. They've been "wiped from the fabric of the Universe" on at least three different previous occasions, yet always came back.

This is different. In previous occasions they were only stopped at a particular point in their personal timeline - and so someone could go back into their past to retrieve them, or Davros.

The impression left in the final eps is that they will have ceased to ever exist. Which would cause tremendous changes in the Web of Time - the Daleks had a huge impact on every race in the galaxy.

I don't mind though, Daleks aren't my favourite enemy - Cybermen are :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't mind though, Daleks aren't my favourite enemy - Cybermen are :)

Then you will be pleased to know that the Cybermen are coming back to harass David Tennant. If they are anything like the new-model Dalkes, you can forget about that gold allregy.

Did you ever rent "Tomb of the Cybermen"? It's low-tech sci-fi by all means, but the Cybermen are chilling and the story has a lovely feel of utter claustrophobia.

Then you will be pleased to know that the Cybermen are coming back to harass David Tennant. If they are anything like the new-model Dalkes, you can forget about that gold allregy.

Did you ever rent "Tomb of the Cybermen"? It's low-tech sci-fi by all means, but the Cybermen are chilling and the story has a lovely feel of utter claustrophobia.

I've heard that rumour too.

As to Tomb - if it's Doctor Who, and a DVD, I've bought it :)

I did watch that one recently, actually - I really liked the voice modulators they used, compared to the minimal changes done to voices in later doctor episodes. The BF radioplay Spare Parts uses the same modulators. I'm thinking they might be good for bot voices in Paranoia as well...