I got the snot beat out of me in my first HERO combat.........

.......And I didn't even get a lousy T-Shirt.

I've been a member of the forums for some months now, I've spent way too much money on HERO products. I've even had a stab at creating characters, powers and equipment.

But until the weekend I had never actually rolled dice for HERO.

A friend of mine has been a Champions/Hero sytem fan for more years perhaps he'd like :). He's been showing me bits and pieces of the system and helping me with builds, heck, he's the one that got me into this and cost me a fortune.

I was at his house at the weekend and he got out a battlemap and a ridicoulous number of D6, we grabbed some sample characters from the books and we were ready.

We fought two encounters, my 2 heros vs 1 of his villians, both times I took a monster beating, but it was so much fun.

I'll never again be able to have exactly the same emotion when my opponent picks up a ton of dice.

"How many D6 is that?!!!!"

"Oh, only 16"

"Holy %*&$" :jawdrop:

And then there was knockback, yikes.

I admit I got soundly beat by some questionable tactics on my part, though a few rolls of 16 - 18 didn't help either. :)

It was great to finally put all these figures and values into context. During the second encounter I really learned how useful Resistant Defense could be, and I was introduced to what I now know to be "The Stun Lottery"

It will definitely make it a lot easier to create characters having seen how some of the things interact.

I thoroughly recommend the experience to anyone new to the system like myself, it's worth the pain.

So thanks again to Darkstar and Armadillo.

I'll get you next time.........

Re: I got the snot beat out of me in my first HERO combat.........

Just wait till you get to the hardcore stuff like sneaky combat maneuver selection, abusive Pushing attempts and aggressive use of Presence Attacks.

Champions combat can be a blast. Once you get the swing of things, it's then time for smack talkin' and clever descriptive terms designed to net surprise bonuses for whaling the tar out of people.

Mazal Tov!

Now all you have to do is survive a pushed haymaker done the 4th edition way!

I totally blew my first 4th Ed pushed haymaker roll with the brick I had been enjoying that evening. Str 60, pushed haymaker and the lot. I connect with a roll of 4 to hit. I follow that up with a 20d6 haymaker consisting of 15 ones and no roll over a 3. I didn't even put stun on the turkey I was brawling with. His retaliatory attack taught me what a properly rolled Str 70 Haymaker was all about.

Owie.

I totally blew my first 4th Ed pushed haymaker roll with the brick I had been enjoying that evening. Str 60, pushed haymaker and the lot. I connect with a roll of 4 to hit. I follow that up with a 20d6 haymaker consisting of 15 ones and no roll over a 3. I didn't even put stun on the turkey I was brawling with. His retaliatory attack taught me what a properly rolled Str 70 Haymaker was all about.

Owie.

We had a rull that stated a three automatically resulted in max damage, but an 18 automatically missed and imposed a -3CV penatly on your next phase. We also had a rule that you could pull your punches without taking any mods. Well, I had an 80 ST brick who threw a pushed haymaker, rolled a three, and because it was another brick, I hadn't bothered to pull the punch...

156 Stun, 52 Body.

The opposing brick had 30/30 Resistant Defenses, 20 Body, and rolled a 3 when resisting knockback. 49" of knockback (though he didn't take much damage from the KB itself). He went through several buildings. Good thing I didn't have a code against killing.

(he did live - I flew him to the hospital at mach 1 and he got lucky)

We had a rull that stated a three automatically resulted in max damage, but an 18 automatically missed and imposed a -3CV penatly on your next phase. We also had a rule that you could pull your punches without taking any mods. Well, I had an 80 ST brick who threw a pushed haymaker, rolled a three, and because it was another brick, I hadn't bothered to pull the punch...

156 Stun, 52 Body.

The opposing brick had 30/30 Resistant Defenses, 20 Body, and rolled a 3 when resisting knockback. 49" of knockback (though he didn't take much damage from the KB itself). He went through several buildings. Good thing I didn't have a code against killing.

(he did live - I flew him to the hospital at mach 1 and he got lucky)

Ouch. Interesting house rule there. The occasional payoff must have been good times. Overall, how well did the rule work out? I may incorporate this into my current game just for added flavor. 'Course, my die-rolling luck seems to pick up after I've started hitting the players repeatedly and then it seems like I can't help but score 19-20 Body on 15d shots.

Ouch. Interesting house rule there. The occasional payoff must have been good times. Overall' date=' how well did the rule work out? I may incorporate this into my current game just for added flavor. 'Course, my die-rolling luck seems to pick up after I've started hitting the players repeatedly and then it seems like I can't help but score 19-20 Body on 15d shots.[/quote']

In my games, it's worked out much like any crit hit system. The PCs will dish out more crits than any single NPC... but the GM makes a LOT more hit rolls than PCs do. (Of course, many of the attacks on them will have little effect even if they do crit.)

I don't tend to use crit-hits in superheroic games, 'cause I think the increased randomness works against the players. I DO use it in heroic-level games, because increased randomness works against the players. :cool:

Ouch. Interesting house rule there. The occasional payoff must have been good times. Overall' date=' how well did the rule work out? I may incorporate this into my current game just for added flavor. 'Course, my die-rolling luck seems to pick up after I've started hitting the players repeatedly and then it seems like I can't help but score 19-20 Body on 15d shots.[/quote']

3's and 18's are rare enough that it didn't have a major impact on the game, but created a sense that you could get lucky or unlucky beyond hit or miss. It was a popular rule and went over well. Oh, and I didn't state it explictly above, but a 3 always hit as well.

I used the "3" critical max-damage rule in my old campaign. It was brutal. Often when it happened it seemed to be with the largest attack in that given combat.

One of the things I've always appreciated about Champions combat is that despite the massive damage, and the "hours to weeks" recoverey time, the guys live.

3's and 18's are rare enough that it didn't have a major impact on the game' date=' but created a sense that you could get lucky or unlucky beyond hit or miss. It was a popular rule and went over well. Oh, and I didn't state it explictly above, but a 3 always hit as well.[/quote']

Eh, my co-GMs like that rule and use that rule. Me, I know my rolling habits.

I had a player who happened to miss a session of my Harn Hero game (it was some wedding prep stuff, so I grudgingly let it pass). In this game, I've doubled all of the locational Body multipliers on the Hit Location table. Sure enough, the party managed to get ambushed by brigands with crossbows. I randomly determined who was getting shot; his character was one of the targets. That's okay, I thought. He'll probably go unconscious, and that way I can get him out of the combat.

The brigand proceeded to hit him in his unarmored face location for maximum heavy crossbow damage - let's see now, 12 BODY multiplied by 4 is 48! Lucky for the player, I have a rule about not killing the characters of players who aren't there; more than likely, if he was there, it would have gone down exactly the same way since it was an ambush.

I don't use the "3 = Crit" rule because I know I'll get them when it counts (the roll to hit the absent player's character was a "3"). And ultimately, my NPCs aren't going to be remembered or written about; I'd rather the players have the moment in the sun.

.......And I didn't even get a lousy T-Shirt.

Congratulations on finally getting your hands dirty! I'm sure you'll be enjoying it for years to come! :D

Oh, and you can get the shirt, from the Hero Games section of Cafe Press. ;)

As I know you don't know what a 4th edition haymaker is Shem, I'll tell you.

Rather than adding a few dice damage you get 1.5 times your str damage.

So if Darkstar had haymakered you, you'd have taken 24D6, not just 16...

Doc

As I know you don't know what a 4th edition haymaker is Shem, I'll tell you.

Rather than adding a few dice damage you get 1.5 times your str damage.

So if Darkstar had haymakered you, you'd have taken 24D6, not just 16...

Doc

I'm sorry what?!

24d6, I thnk we're gonna need a bigger table.

That's insane. Can't wait to try it. :-)