Roll up, roll up... Let's see how YOUR Marvel Select will do...

shaunclinton

Re: Roll up, roll up... Let's see how YOUR Marvel Select will do...

Personally I'll just stick with the Defenders:

Hulk on Superman. [superman wins]

Namor on Captain Marvel. [Namor wins]

Silver Surfer on Green Lantern. [silver Surfer wins]

Valkyrie on Wonder Woman. [Wonder Woman wins]

Hellstorm on Martian Manhunter. [Hellstorm wins]

Nighthawk and Hellcat on Batman. [batman wins]

Gargoyle on Aquaman. [Aquaman wins]

Dr. Strange on Flash. [Dr. Strange wins]

Round 2:

Superman against Silver Surfer. [superman wins]

Wonder Woman against Namor. [Namor wins]

Batman against Dr. Strange. [Dr. Strange wins]

Aquaman against Hellstorm. [Hellstorm wins].

Round 3:

Superman against Namor, Dr. Strange, Hellstorm. [superman loses]

Personally I'll just stick with the Defenders:

Silver Surfer on Green Lantern. [silver Surfer wins]

Hellstorm on Martian Manhunter. [Hellstorm wins]

Gargoyle on Aquaman. [Aquaman wins]

Dr. Strange on Flash. [Dr. Strange wins]

Round 2:

Superman against Silver Surfer. [superman wins]

Wonder Woman against Namor. [Namor wins]

Batman against Dr. Strange. [Dr. Strange wins]

Aquaman against Hellstorm. [Hellstorm wins].

Round 3:

Superman against Namor, Dr. Strange, Hellstorm. [superman loses]

I disagree with Namor winning vs. Captain Marvel, and Dr. Strange would likely be KO'd before he could say "By the Crimson Bands of ... uhn".

I disagree with Namor winning vs. Captain Marvel' date=' and Dr. Strange would likely be KO'd before he could say "By the Crimson Bands of ... uhn".[/quote']

The Flash can't beat a guy called the Weather Wizard. There's no way he can beat the Sorceror Supreme. :)

I disagree with Namor winning vs. Captain Marvel' date=' and Dr. Strange would likely be KO'd before he could say "By the Crimson Bands of ... uhn".[/quote']

Oops, hit post before adding that I think you under estimate Namor. He has had titanic battles with both the Thing and the Hulk. He is one of Marvel's top-tier bricks. Captain Marvel has always been nothing more than a second-string Superman, IMO.

Of course a comic book writers would probably match them up like this:

Dr. Strange on Green Lantern. [Dr. Strange wins]

Gargoyle on Martian Manhunter. [Martian Manhunter wins]

Hellstorm on Aquaman. [Hellstorm wins]

Silver Surfer on Flash. [silver Surfer wins]

Round 2:

Superman on Silver Surfer [superman wins but very hard battle]

Wonder Woman on Namor [Namor wins]

Martian Manhunter on Dr. Strange [Dr. Strange wins]

Batman on Hellstorm [batman wins]

Round 3:

Supeman and Batman against Dr. Strange and Namor. [DC loses]

Oops' date=' hit post before adding that I think you under estimate Namor. He has had titanic battles with both the Thing and the Hulk. He is one of Marvel's top-tier bricks. Captain Marvel has always been nothing more than a second-string Superman, IMO.[/quote']

Yeah, and the bitty wings on his ankles are "L33t" too. Captain Marvel would own him... we're going to have to agree to disagree here. I cannot see this playing out the way you describe, and you obviously don't agree with my position either. I've read the titanic battles you're discussing, Namor came across alright... I'm just not impressed by his ability to hang against the "Earth's Mightiest Mortal".

And unless Dr. Strange invested some points in resistant defenses or Speed, he's gonna get hurt. Seems to me like if he's in his study, half a planet away, he'll crush all opposition. Face to face, it's unlikely he'll be able to handle just about any member of the JLA. He suffers from the same problems as the Doctor in the Authority, just sans heroin addiction.

Hmm...

The main difference between DC and Marvel is speed.

In all other respects DC Characters are meant to be 'stronger' but that usually comes down to WW's 120 Str as opposed to Thor's 110 or some other such negligible difference. The real problem Marvel characters would have against DC characters is their lack of speed.

Who's the fastest guy in the Marvel Universe? Quicksilver?

Most 'fast' non-speedsters in DC are faster... Supes, J'onn and The Big Red Cheese are all much faster than him. And the Flash is so much faster than him it isn't even funny. I've seen all sorts of arguments on here about how Thor is so fast at this and that and the other, maybe he's fast at flying, but there's no way he's as fast as Quicksilver at reacting, and the DCU has him whipped.

This massive obstacle is what gets in the Marvel Team's way. Whilst you can be strong and tough and all the rest of it, if the opponent can hit you ten times before you can blink you aren't going to have a good day!

Captain Marvel would beat Namor for sure.

Against Wonder-Woman I'd probably hand it to Namor, especially if there is any water nearby.

Anyway, I don't like the 3 round format as it doesn't take into account switching opponents and teaming up against them and the like.

If you wanted that Defenders team against the DCU Elite Eight I think they'd lose. Hulk, Namor, Surfer and Strange are the guys that have the best chance of prolonged survival. But I don't think they'd last too long. The DCUEE have bother with Strange's magic, but they have the speed and strength to out-muscle him without too much bother. Namor is a beast, but the heavy hitters of the DCUEE can take him down, again speed plays a big part. Surfer and Hulk are real problems. The Surfer probably beats at least one or two DCUEE-ers before going down, which is a good account of himself. The Hulk has the potential to beat down on a good proportion of the DCUEE, but they probably let Supes or Shazam deal with him which takes him out of the equation a bit.

I think this team gets let down by its other members, I'd take the 4 above as a core to work from. To it I'd probably add...

Wonder-Man

Iron Man

Thor

Hmmm... and then I'm stuck. Beta Ray Bill, Spider-man and Scarlet Witch are all clamouring for my attention!!!

Chances are I go with Scarlet here as neither of the other two add 'that' much to the party that isn't already there in spades (though Spidey is amazing!)

Still think their chances are no better than about 40%, but we're nearly there!

Yeah' date=' and the bitty wings on his ankles are "L33t" too. Captain Marvel would [u']own[/u] him... we're going to have to agree to disagree here. I cannot see this playing out the way you describe, and you obviously don't agree with my position either. I've read the titanic battles you're discussing, Namor came across alright... I'm just not impressed by his ability to hang against the "Earth's Mightiest Mortal".

And unless Dr. Strange invested some points in resistant defenses or Speed, he's gonna get hurt. Seems to me like if he's in his study, half a planet away, he'll crush all opposition. Face to face, it's unlikely he'll be able to handle just about any member of the JLA. He suffers from the same problems as the Doctor in the Authority, just sans heroin addiction.

Dr. Strange is an excellent hand to hand fighter who actually beat Dormamu in a fist-fight to stop an invasion. He's no pushover. And I'm also certain he has enough defenses spells cast on him at any point in time that the Flash would probably fry himself just trying to touch him in an aggressive manner. :)

Anyway, we'll just agree to disagree. :)

Who's the fastest guy in the Marvel Universe? Quicksilver?

Silver Surfer is one of the fastest people in the MU. :)

If you wanted that Defenders team against the DCU Elite Eight I think they'd lose. Hulk, Namor, Surfer and Strange are the guys that have the best chance of prolonged survival. But I don't think they'd last too long. The DCUEE have bother with Strange's magic, but they have the speed and strength to out-muscle him without too much bother. Namor is a beast, but the heavy hitters of the DCUEE can take him down, again speed plays a big part. Surfer and Hulk are real problems. The Surfer probably beats at least one or two DCUEE-ers before going down, which is a good account of himself. The Hulk has the potential to beat down on a good proportion of the DCUEE, but they probably let Supes or Shazam deal with him which takes him out of the equation a bit.

Actually, in a logical fight, Dr. Strange would cast a restaining spell on everyone to attempt to keep both teams from going off on each other. He'd immediately learn of Superman's weakness and both Captain Marvel's and Wonder Woman's connection to magic. From that point Superman is going to be easily dropped and Dr. Strange will attempt to find something which cuts off Captain Marvel's ability to keep that form.

Superman - Silver Surfer [not even Supes can take out ol' SS]

Batman - Captain America [at best a draw, but my money is on Captain America]

Flash - Photon (Capt. Marvel II) [the only Marvel hero who could take him, I think--no one else is fast enough]

Martian Manhunter - Well, Vision would be my first choice, but since he's no longer in commission, I'll go with Wonder Man [i'd go with MM on this one]

Wonder Woman - Thor [would be close, but I think pride wins out and Thor takes her.]

Capt. Marvel - Hulk [CM doesn't have the experience of Supes, and I think Hulk would just wear his arse out]

Green Lantern - Jean Grey [You want willpower? Jean Grey's got it in spades...and it's yellow]

Aquaman - Iron Man [screw Namor, bring out the big gun]

Marvel wins.

The only reason he looks like a chump is because he hangs around Superman and Martian Manhunter.

The other JLA members hang out with them too, but somehow manage to avoid looking like chumps.

This is going to cause some grimaces but Aquaman could possibly take Captain America in a fight.

No one disputes that...as long as they were at the bottom of the Marianas Trench, and Cap didn't have an oxygen tank. :)

Assuming the fight isn't taking underwater, would anyone rather have Aquaman than Plastic Man if they were running the JLA team?

Assuming the fight isn't taking underwater' date=' would anyone rather have Aquaman than Plastic Man if they were running the JLA team?[/quote']

As he currently exists? I'll take Aquaman. Wacky hydro-hand, Mental Defense + Mental Damage Shield, Superhuman stats (STR, DEX, SPD, CON), decent defenses, and "mad combat skills". Plus you get to be sovereign of a nation with impressive high tech (though it's mostly just a big old mess of DNPCs). Not a bad combo at all. Frankly his telepathic abilities (which he's most known for, "talking to fish" and all that) aren't that big a deal, but he's a pretty impressive combatant all in all.

With the exception of the mental defenses, I think Plastic Man has the edge in every category you mention:

Hydro Hand that can do some different things vs. entire body that can do anything.

Stats are harder to determine with Plastic Man, but his strength and mass certainly gets a boost in certain forms: he can hold up a collapsing building, crush something when in the form of a tank, etc. In Champions terms, any DEX advantage Aquaman may have is negated by the various HTH attacks Plastic Man can make with an area effect.

Decent defenses vs. near indesctructible defenses.

And if sovereign nation ruler meant much in the scenario the op is giving (JLA vs. any Marvel) there'd be more Marvel teams with Black Panther. :)

Plastic Man is so versatile than that he could create difficulties for most of the Marvel characters. I just can't see the same being said for Aquaman, especially in a fight on land.

Hey I like Plastic Man, he's fine and I'd be happy to play him too (except against Iceman or someone with that sort of power set). I am just saying Aquaman is nothing to sneeze at, and I'd be happy to play him in the JLA vs. "insert Marvelphile character here". I think he'd surprise people - especially given some of the opponents assigned him. By and large he's underestimated, and then turns out to be nastier than the opposition expected.

Playing the weaknesses...

Superman vs. Dr. Strange (no defenses against magic)

Batman vs. Silver Surfer (forget the fair fight, let the Silver Surfer blast Batman from orbit.)

The Flash vs. Professor X. (Does the Flash think faster? If not, this one goes to the Professor)

Martian Manhunter vs. Human Torch (because, duh, fire...)

Wonder-Woman vs. Spider Man (she loses her powers when bound by a man...)

Captain Marvel vs. Emma Frost ("Say Shazam, little boy...")

Green Lantern(Hal) vs. Photon (can you say, yellow laser?)

Aquaman vs. Iceman (OK, I ran out ideas here...)

Aquaman got his hand bitten off by a horde of pirahna. So it's not like he's that friggen' tough. That right there shows that he ain't bulletproof, regardless of how much they talk about him.

DC has the edge with speedsters, big-time. Though superspeed in the comics is never as effective as the fans want to make it.

DC has the edge in bricks, a bit. Yeah, I think the Big Red Cheese will beat The Avenging Son.

Marvel has the edge in blasters, a bit. DC really doesn't match up to people like Magneto, Graviton, Havok, Photon, or people like that.

Marvel has the edge in telepaths, big-time. All the X-Men have truckloads of mental defenses, and the Avengers ain't bad at that, either.

Of course, Namor probably won't want to fight Aquaman. He's Namor. He's gonna pick a fight with Superman. :) "Imperius Rex!" SMACK! "Urr... the Avenging Son... will... phhrrnurrbllle... (gasp)"

Dr. Strange is an excellent hand to hand fighter who actually beat Dormamu in a fist-fight to stop an invasion. He's no pushover. And I'm also certain he has enough defenses spells cast on him at any point in time that the Flash would probably fry himself just trying to touch him in an aggressive manner. :)

Anyway, we'll just agree to disagree. :)

Dr. Strange is definitely an expert hand to hand fighter. He took out Mantis, who is all about martial arts, in hand to hand combat as well.

Aquaman got his hand bitten off by a horde of pirahna. So it's not like he's that friggen' tough. That right there shows that he ain't bulletproof, regardless of how much they talk about him.

DC has the edge with speedsters, big-time. Though superspeed in the comics is never as effective as the fans want to make it.

DC has the edge in bricks, a bit. Yeah, I think the Big Red Cheese will beat The Avenging Son.

Marvel has the edge in blasters, a bit. DC really doesn't match up to people like Magneto, Graviton, Havok, Photon, or people like that.

Marvel has the edge in telepaths, big-time. All the X-Men have truckloads of mental defenses, and the Avengers ain't bad at that, either.

Of course, Namor probably won't want to fight Aquaman. He's Namor. He's gonna pick a fight with Superman. :) "Imperius Rex!" SMACK! "Urr... the Avenging Son... will... phhrrnurrbllle... (gasp)"

Sometimes, they let Quicksilver do some speed tricks that imply he's quite a bit faster than the OHOTMU says. And let's remember that Makkari and Hermes are running around the Marvel Universe and are much faster than Quicksilver.

I'm of the school that Thor's, and therefore Hercules' and the Forgotten One's, strength is underestimated by most.

The edge in blasters will only truly be telling if the blasters have the defenses to withstand the bricks of DC. I think that can be done.

I think the whole telepath thing is cheese and I think DC's expansion of Martian Manhunter's and Aquaman's telepathic powers to be extremely cheesy.

1 Superman

2 Batman

3 The Flash

4 Martian Manhunter

5 Wonder-Woman

6 Captain Marvel

7 Hal Jordan

8 Aquaman

1 Thor

2 Captain America

3 Makkari heh

4 Silver Surfer