Help building a "presence" power

Icel

I want my character to have a "presence" power that inspire respect and awe in all how come in contect with her. The power is passive but can be suppressed at will by the character (i.e. it is persistent, but not always on).

Any ideas?

Re: Help building a "presence" power

Buy a lot of Presence. Presence the characteristic can be used to simulate an Aura of Presence sort of power.

Characters with large PRE stats automatically command attention. Even if it isn't intentional. They have a natural ability to "command a room". They enter the room and everyone turns to see. They have to. The person is just that impressive. So just buy lots of PRE and maybe an Acting skill to roll for surpressing it.

What are the in game effects of having respect and being in awe? If there are none (other than a minor description of what happens), it's just a high PRE. If it has some game effects (I'd suggest looking at the effects of various levels of a successful PRE attacks for ideas), then you can model it with a Power. The Power you chose depends on what the effects are. For achieving automatic levels of of doing a PRE Attack, I'd have the character buy Naked Modifiers for PRE: Continuous, 0 END & Presistant. While technically PRE is already constant, and maybe even persistant, doing a PRE Attack is instant, and that is would you'd be simulating. You'd buy it 0 END, Persistant because a Naked Modifier costs END normally, and you'd want it to work constantly without effort. As for the amount of PRE you'd buy, find some generic PRE Attack Modifers and buy enough to achieve the level you want versus an EGO/PRE of 10.

What are the in game effects of having respect and being in awe? If there are none (other than a minor description of what happens)' date=' it's just a high PRE. If it has some game effects (I'd suggest looking at the effects of various levels of a successful PRE attacks for ideas), then you can model it with a Power. The Power you chose depends on what the effects are. For achieving automatic levels of of doing a PRE Attack, I'd have the character buy Naked Modifiers for PRE: Continuous, 0 END & Presistant. While technically PRE is already constant, and maybe even persistant, doing a PRE Attack is instant, and that is would you'd be simulating. You'd buy it 0 END, Persistant because a Naked Modifier costs END normally, and you'd want it to work constantly without effort. As for the amount of PRE you'd buy, find some generic PRE Attack Modifers and buy enough to achieve the level you want versus an EGO/PRE of 10.[/quote']

The power is suppose to simulate a "mystic" aura that surround the character- this can't be doen be buying PRE, because its a supernatural power. Maybe buying a +X PRE power can do the trick...

People that are neer the character can sense this aura, though they don't know what it is. Those people will treat the character with great respect. People that think to harm the character or generaly misbehave around it will be frightened, or at least very cautious. Others with this kind of aura will note the character, but are generally unaffected.

Is there some way to jusy buy PRE Attack die?

Characters with large PRE stats automatically command attention. Even if it isn't intentional. They have a natural ability to "command a room". They enter the room and everyone turns to see. They have to. The person is just that impressive. So just buy lots of PRE and maybe an Acting skill to roll for surpressing it.

You don't have to buy Acting to suppress it. You can choose to exert less Presence. Superman doesn't rip Lois Lane's head off when he kisses her. He chooses to use less Str. There's nothing at all in the rules that says that Presence is "always on".

The power is suppose to simulate a "mystic" aura that surround the character- this can't be doen be buying PRE' date=' because its a supernatural power.[/quote']

You're wrong. I can have 50 Presence, and define it as a supernatural power. There's no restrictions against this.

Maybe buying a +X PRE power can do the trick...

People that are neer the character can sense this aura, though they don't know what it is. Those people will treat the character with great respect. People that think to harm the character or generaly misbehave around it will be frightened, or at least very cautious. Others with this kind of aura will note the character, but are generally unaffected.

You just want to buy Presence. Everything you've just described is, quite simply, Presence. That's it. You don't need anything else. Just buy lots of Presence. Others who have the same aura won't be affected because... they've got lots of Presence! If I walk around with my 50 Presence "on" all the time, it'll intimidate the hell out of everyone who doesn't have a high Presence.

Buy Presence. It's exactly what you're looking for.

You could also, along with buying scads of PRE, perhaps use Change Environment to simulate certain effects. Give it No Range and Personal Immunity and go from there.

You want them to be so in awe that they can't attack you properly? "- OCV/DCV" are your friends.

You want their attention stuck on you? How about something like "- to their PER rolls" ?

You want them frozen in place? "- inches of movement" does the trick.

You just want to buy Presence. Everything you've just described is, quite simply, Presence. That's it. You don't need anything else. Just buy lots of Presence. Others who have the same aura won't be affected because... they've got lots of Presence! If I walk around with my 50 Presence "on" all the time, it'll intimidate the hell out of everyone who doesn't have a high Presence.

Ok, I got it. I baught Presence.

You could also, along with buying scads of PRE, perhaps use Change Environment to simulate certain effects. Give it No Range and Personal Immunity and go from there.

You want them to be so in awe that they can't attack you properly? "- OCV/DCV" are your friends.

You want their attention stuck on you? How about something like "- to their PER rolls" ?

Nice idea. Perhaps I'll compund it with the PRE.

Not true. Just being awsomely charismatic and a natural leader/influencer of others won't make others near them behave and make nice with the character. That's kinda like saying that if you buy a high STR objects will just lift themselves as the character walks past. PRE only really does something if you actively do something with it (make a PRE Attack, use an Interaction Skill), or do something to it (someone else makes a PRE Attack).

The power is suppose to simulate a "mystic" aura that surround the character- this can't be doen be buying PRE' date=' because its a supernatural power.[/quote']

This is just SFX. You can do the same for anything. Buy lots of DEX and an EB, and call it a mystic aura that allows you to move fast and hurt thing at range. Same thing with PRE.

Maybe buying a +X PRE power can do the trick...

Buying a PRE Attack die is really nothing more than buying PRE with a Limitation (I'd say a -1/2 for Only For PRE Attacks). Considering my earlier example, such a Limitation might apply.

But let's break down what you are trying to accomplish. I'm paying more attention to game effects rather than SFX, because SFX can coat anything, but right now we need to know what it's coating.

People near can sense the aura: Sounds like a visible SFX.

People will treat the character with respect: Could be just another aspect of the SFX, but could also be something like Mind Control, if such behavior is forced upon them. This really depends on exactly what you mean by "tread with respect". If everybody instinctively lower their heads, speak in soft tones and act with the best of their etiquette, then it probably is Mind Control, because there are some people that won't act that way for anyone, and will probably resent the experience of being humiliated by doing so against their will. If it's just that people automatically detect a "big nasty power" and get to act as they please around it, and that most people aware of such a thing will naturally treat it with respect, it might be nothing more than a Distinctive Feature: Supernatural Aura (not concealable, major reaction, automatically detected), or just a further description of the power's SFX.

Your further descriptions seem to just reinforce the general "with respect" part. The more I look at this, it's probably just a high PRE with a Distinctive Feature.

Distinctive Feature: Supernatural Aura (not concealable, major reaction, automatically detected),

Never thought of that, it could work quite well.

The only problem is that I wanted the character the be able to suppress his aura.

And thats what I did:

Distinctive Features: Ki Presence (Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Virtually Everyone).

Ki Presence: +30 PRE (30 Active Points); Limited Power Only For PRE Attacks (-1/2).

I got 74 PRE in the end, 30 for ki, 30 for turn undead and 14 normal.

Not true. Just being awsomely charismatic and a natural leader/influencer of others won't make others near them behave and make nice with the character. That's kinda like saying that if you buy a high STR objects will just lift themselves as the character walks past. PRE only really does something if you actively do something with it (make a PRE Attack' date=' use an Interaction Skill), or do something to it (someone else makes a PRE Attack).[/quote']

He wants to be able to "suppress" it. So simply buying PRE will allow him to do that. Making a PRE attack is a 0 phase action, and you can even do it during another's phase, so he can thus use it any time he wants. PRE is different from any other power. If he just buys PRE, he can use it as much as he wants, or as little as he wants.

He wants to be able to "suppress" it. So simply buying PRE will allow him to do that. Making a PRE attack is a 0 phase action' date=' and you can even do it during another's phase, so he can thus use it any time he wants. PRE is different from any other power. If he just buys PRE, he can use it as much as he wants, or as little as he wants.[/quote']

Only by his definition, the effect is constant, and the character isn't doing anything; it just happens. It might be a subtle difference between "is turn off-able" and "easy to turn on-able", but it can be a significent one.

Never thought of that, it could work quite well.

The only problem is that I wanted the character the be able to suppress his aura.

And thats what I did:

Distinctive Features: Ki Presence (Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Virtually Everyone).

Ki Presence: +30 PRE (30 Active Points); Limited Power Only For PRE Attacks (-1/2).

I got 74 PRE in the end, 30 for ki, 30 for turn undead and 14 normal.

E-gads! I hope he has some actual power to back up that awsomeness. Would be kind of a let down if he got put in a spot and couldn't do anything.

Sound like a neat character though, any chance of posting the final stats when you're done?

Sure, why not?

Note that I converted this character from another system (d&d, but with my perspective) and its not a begining character but an experienced one.

He started has an Elven Scout, later became a Kensai (weapon master) that infuse his Nodachi with mystical energies (the first one, Hyakuraiken, was lost and he build a new sword, Kyuseiretsu). Later, after he have been killed and resurrected, he choose to became a priest in the church that granted him that miracle.

His not over yet, I still play him every week.

=====

Ryuu Arashi

Val Char Points Total Roll Notes

18 STR 8 18 13- HTH Damage 3 1/2d6 END [4]

16 DEX 18 20 13- OCV 7 DCV 7

14 CON 8 14 12-

13 BODY 6 13 12-

16 INT 6 16 12- PER Roll 12-

16 EGO 12 16 12- ECV: 5

14 PRE 4 74 24- PRE Attack: 14 1/2d6

11 COM 1 11 11-

5 PD 1 5/12 5/12 PD (0/7 rPD)

4 ED 1 4/11 4/11 ED (0/7 rED)

4 SPD 10 4 Phases: 3, 6, 9, 12

8 REC 2 8

28 END 0 28

29 STUN 0 29

9" Running 6 9"

2" Swimming 0 2"

3" Leaping 0 3 1/2" Total Characteristics Cost: 83

Cost Powers END

Kensai Training

10 1) Ki Surge: Aid STR 2d6 (standard effect: 6 points) (20 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2) 2

20 2) Ki Presence: +30 PRE (30 Active Points); Limited Power Only For PRE Attacks (-1/2)

Priest Prayers

7 1) Turn Undead: +30 PRE (30 Active Points); Limited Power Power Only Works On Undead (-1), OIF (Holy Symbol; -1/2), Only When Serving The God's Purposes (-1/2), Extra Time (Extra Segment, -1/2), Nonpersistent (-1/4), Requires A Religion Skill Roll (Active Point penalty to Skill Roll is -1 per 20 Active Points; -1/4), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Incantations (Prayer; -1/4) 3

13 2) Spell of Divine Healing: Healing BODY 4d6, Can Heal Limbs (45 Active Points); Extra Time (Extra Segment, -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Only When Serving The God's Purposes (-1/2), Requires A Religion Skill Roll (-1/2), Does Not Work On Some Damage One Type of Damage (Unhollowed) (-1/4), Incantations (Prayer; -1/4) 8

6 3) Shield of Faith: Armor (5 PD/5 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (19 Active Points); Extra Time (Extra Segment, -1/2), Only When Serving The God's Purposes (-1/2), Requires A Religion Skill Roll (-1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Incantations (Prayer; -1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4) 2

Racial Abilities

3 1) Life Support (Longevity: 800 Years) 0

10 2) Low-Light Vision: Ultraviolet Perception (Sight Group), Discriminatory 0

12 3) +4 DEX

Equipment

Heavy Leather: Armor (2 PD/2 ED) (6 Active Points); Independent (-2), OIF Durable (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4) 0

Kyuseiretsu: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 4d6+1 (standard effect: 13 BODY, 26 STUN), Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Double Knockback (+3/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1) (260 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF Expendable (Very Difficult to obtain new Focus; Magical Nodachi; -1 1/2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), STR Minimum 6-14 (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) 0

Perks

4 Fringe Benefit: Priest, Right to Marry: Can perform the marriage ceremony

Skills

3 Traveler

1 1) AK: Kara-Tur (2 Active Points) 11-

1 2) AK: The High Forest (2 Active Points) 11-

Familiarities

0 1) Acting 8-

0 2) Concealment 8-

0 3) Deduction 8-

0 4) Paramedics (Healing) 8-

0 5) Persuasion 8-

Languages

0 1) Language: Elven (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)

4 2) Language: Common (completely fluent; literate)

3 3) Language: Sylvan (completely fluent)

2 4) Language: Orcish (fluent conversation)

Trained Skills

12 1) Survival (Temperate/Subtropical, Tropical, Desert, Mountain) 14-

8 2) Weaponsmith (Swords And Daggers) 15-

7 3) Conversation 26-

7 4) Riding 15-

6 5) WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons, Nodachi

3 6) PS: Priest 12-

3 7) Climbing 13-

3 8) Shadowing 12-

3 9) Stealth 13-

3 10) Breakfall 13-

3 11) +3 with any single attack with one specific weapon

3 12) Tracking 12-

2 13) Navigation (Land) 12-

2 14) KS: Geography 11-

2 15) TF: Camels, Carts & Carriages, Equines

2 16) KS: Religion 11-

Total Powers & Skills Cost: 169

Total Cost: 251

100+ Disadvantages

As Part of His Profession:

20 1) Distinctive Features: Ki Presence (Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Virtually Everyone)

20 2) Social Limitation: Code of Conduct (Frequently, Severe)

15 3) Psychological Limitation: Bound By Duty (Common, Strong)

10 4) Social Limitation: Vow of Abstaining from Alcohol (Occasionally, Major)

5 Distinctive Features: Elf (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)

0 Normal Characteristic Maxima

Total Disadvantages Points: 70

Experience Earned: 81.

Kyuseiretsu: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 4d6+1 (standard effect: 13 BODY, 26 STUN), Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Double Knockback (+3/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1) (260 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF Expendable (Very Difficult to obtain new Focus; Magical Nodachi; -1 1/2), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), STR Minimum 6-14 (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) 0

You do realize that with the OAF Expendible limitaiton on there that every time you swing your sword it vanishes into thin air and you lose the points you spent on it forever (since it is Independent)...?

You do realize that with the OAF Expendible limitaiton on there that every time you swing your sword it vanishes into thin air and you lose the points you spent on it forever (since it is Independent)...?

Oh... :fear: Note to self: need to read to rules more carefully.

Only by his definition' date=' the effect is constant, and the character isn't [i']doing[/i] anything; it just happens. It might be a subtle difference between "is turn off-able" and "easy to turn on-able", but it can be a significent one.

That's an interesting point. Depending on how difficult the extra Presence is to turn off, it might justify a Physical Limitation: "Must Consciously Suppress Presence Attack."

BTW your -1/2 Lim for offensive-only PRE agrees with published examples of it. :thumbup:

Interesting ideas! New and creative uses for CE... You could even add a lim to allow targets with high enough EGO/PRE to be affected in a lesser way...

Not sure the mechanics I would use, but with some playing around, it should be feasable... Start by assuming a standard effect on the characters base PRE attack (50 PRE would be 35 pts), and then adjust accordingly, with a +20 effect being the base.

Ok, here it is:

Ryuu Arashi

Val Char Points Total Roll Notes

16 STR 6 16 12- HTH Damage 3d6 END [3]

16 DEX 18 18 13- OCV 6 DCV 6

13 CON 6 13 12-

15 BODY 10 15 12-

15 INT 5 15 12- PER Roll 12-/14-

12 EGO 4 12 11- ECV: 4

12 PRE 2 92 27- PRE Attack: 18d6

14 COM 2 14 12-

4 PD 1 4/13 4/13 PD (0/9 rPD)

4 ED 1 4/13 4/13 ED (0/9 rED)

3 SPD 2 3 Phases: 4, 8, 12

7 REC 2 7

26 END 0 26

30 STUN 0 30

9" Running 6 9"

2" Swimming 0 2"

3" Leaping 0 3" Total Characteristics Cost: 65

Cost Powers END

Scout Training

18 1) Skirmish: (Total: 36 Active Cost, 18 Real Cost) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (30 Active Points); Limited Power Only After Moving (-1/2), No STR Bonus (-1/2) (Real Cost: 15) plus Armor (2 PD/2 ED) (6 Active Points); Limited Power Only After Moving (-1/2), Instant (-1/2), Nonpersistent (-1/4) (Real Cost: 3) 3

20 2) Evasion: (Total: 60 Active Cost, 20 Real Cost) Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Limited Power Only when Diving For Cover, Dodging, or Flying Dodging (-2) (Real Cost: 10) plus Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50% (30 Active Points); Limited Power Only when Diving For Cover, Dodging, or Flying Dodging (-2) (Real Cost: 10) 0

5 3) Woodland Stride: Gliding 6" (6 Active Points); Ground Gliding (-1/4) 0

Kensai Training

15 1) Ki Surge: Aid STR 3d6 (standard effect: 9 points) (30 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Self Only (-1/2) 3

20 2) Ki Presence: +30 PRE (30 Active Points); Limited Power Only For PRE Attacks (-1/2)

Priest Prayers

10 1) Turn Undead: +50 PRE (50 Active Points); Limited Power Only To Make PRE Attacks (-1), Limited Power Only vs. Undead Creatures (-1), Extra Time (Extra Phase, -3/4), OIF Fragile (Holy Symbol; -3/4), Only When Serving The God's Purposes (-1/2)

13 2) Spell of Divine Healing: Healing BODY 4d6, Can Heal Limbs (45 Active Points); Extra Time (Extra Segment, -1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2), Only When Serving The God's Purposes (-1/2), Requires A Religion Skill Roll (-1/2), Does Not Work On Some Damage One Type of Damage (Unhollowed) (-1/4), Incantations (Prayer; -1/4) 8

6 3) Shield of Faith: Armor (5 PD/5 ED), Hardened (+1/4) (19 Active Points); Extra Time (Extra Segment, -1/2), Only When Serving The God's Purposes (-1/2), Requires A Religion Skill Roll (-1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4), Incantations (Prayer; -1/4), Nonpersistent (-1/4) 2

Racial Abilities

3 1) Life Support (Longevity: 800 Years) 0

1 2) Life Support (Sleeping: Character only has to sleep 4 hours per day) 0

10 3) Low-Light Vision: Ultraviolet Perception (Sight Group), Discriminatory 0

6 4) +2 DEX

4 5) +2 PER with Sight Group 0

Equipment

Heavy Leather: Armor (2 PD/2 ED) (6 Active Points); Independent (-2), OIF Durable (-1/2), Real Armor (-1/4) 0

Kyuseiretsu: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 4d6+1 (standard effect: 13 BODY, 26 STUN), Autofire (3 shots; +1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2), Affects Desolidified Any form of Desolidification (+1/2), Double Knockback (+3/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1) (260 Active Points); Independent (-2), OAF (Magical Nodachi; -1), Required Hands Two-Handed (-1/2), STR Minimum 6-14 (-1/2), Real Weapon (-1/4) 0

Perks

4 Fringe Benefit: Priest, Right to Marry: Can perform the marriage ceremony

Skills

3 Traveler

1 1) AK: Kara-Tur (2 Active Points) 11-

1 2) AK: The High Forest (2 Active Points) 11-

Familiarities

0 1) Acting 8-

0 2) Concealment 8-

0 3) Deduction 8-

0 4) Paramedics (Healing) 8-

0 5) Persuasion 8-

3 Linguist

3 1) Language: Common (completely fluent; literate) (4 Active Points)

0 2) Language: Elven (idiomatic; literate) (5 Active Points)

1 3) Language: Orcish (fluent conversation) (2 Active Points)

2 4) Language: Sylvan (completely fluent) (3 Active Points)

Trained Skills

12 1) Survival (Temperate/Subtropical, Tropical, Desert, Mountain) 14-

8 2) Weaponsmith (Swords And Daggers) 15-

7 3) Conversation 29-

7 4) Riding 15-

6 5) WF: Common Melee Weapons, Common Missile Weapons, Nodachi

3 6) PS: Priest 12-

3 7) Climbing 13-

3 8) Shadowing 12-

3 9) Stealth 13-

3 10) Breakfall 13-

3 11) +3 with any single attack with one specific weapon

3 12) Tracking 12-

2 13) Navigation (Land) 12-

2 14) KS: Geography 11-

2 15) TF: Camels, Carts & Carriages, Equines

2 16) KS: Religion 11-

Total Powers & Skills Cost: 218

Total Cost: 283

50+ Disadvantages

As Part of His Profession:

20 1) Distinctive Features: Ki Presence (Concealable; Extreme Reaction; Detectable By Virtually Everyone)

20 2) Social Limitation: Code of Conduct (Frequently, Severe)

15 3) Psychological Limitation: Bound By Duty (Common, Strong)

10 4) Social Limitation: Vow of Abstaining from Alcohol (Occasionally, Major)

Racial Features

5 1) Distinctive Features: Elf (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures)

4 2) -2 CON

0 Normal Characteristic Maxima

Total Disadvantages Points: 74