Question on skill levels

JmOz

A character has a MP of Mental effects,

The effects include EB (TK Punches) and the normal mental powers

If a character wanted to buy some skill levels to use the mp would they be 3 or 5 point skill levels.

The question stems from the basic difference between mental and normal attacks...

Re: Question on skill levels

Normally I call MP levels 3 point levels, I have seen numerous examples in published Hero stuff that agrees with this. However if the character has attacks that are both OCV and EOCV based in the MP then I'd require a 5 point level for that.

Depends on what the MP is. 3 point levels are for a "tight group", which most attack multipowers are, but some aren't. Most "psychic" Multipowers, with include both telekinetic and telepathic powers I've allowed for 3 points, but most of those still have fewer than 8 slots, and I've seen attack Multipowers with many more than that that can qualify for the 3 point levels. For the most part though, I rarely allow "psychic" Multipowers that include a wide variety of TK powers and also a wide variety of telepathic powers. It's either one or the other, or an MP with one or two telepathy powers, one or two TK powers, one or two ESP powers, and one or two psychoportation powers, etc.

I would allow them at the 3 point level, since there are several examples of published characters with 3 point MP skill levels. Its also a question of SFX. If the MP is defined as "psionics" and the character buys "Psionics MP" skill levels it shouldn't be a problem. If you regard the one power as being incompatible with the other powers in terms of SFX, then you should ask the question: does this power really belong in the MP?

I guess to me it would depend on a couple of things...

1) How many actual powers are there represented in the MP?

2) What are the nature of the powers in the MP?

I tend to rule that a "tight group" is 3-5 powers, with the looser the definition, the smaller the size. A 5pt MP level is usually unlimited in the number of powers.

Probably the "safest" way to rule would be to require 5 point level on a mixed MP...

Consider the following MP:

• Telepathy
  • Ego Attack
  • Telekinesis

As this is only three powers, a 3 point level would probably be sufficient. However, when he adds in his Mind Control power, this breaks the "tight group". So, how do you rectify the situation?

I would rule that the 3-pt levels were with Telepathy, Ego Attack and Telekinesis, not the MP. Thus, to use the levels with his newly acquired Mind Control power, the character would have increase the levels to 5-pt "MP" levels.

Semantics, yes, but it makes sense to my feeble mind!