Warhammer FRPG Conversion

Killer Shrike

Re: Warhammer FRPG Conversion

I have almost all of the spells in HERO Designer format. Im missing the Transmutation Spells, due to a HD glitch -- I was beta testing HD while creating almost all of the Spells. That sucks because Transmutations Spells are the single largest group with over 200 Spells IIRC...

I haven't released those hdc files for several reasons, the main one being that some of them are not 100% kosher, and the newer detection intelligence in HD bombs on them. I keep meaning to get around to editing thru them and correcting them, but it's a clearly daunting task that Ive never gotten motivated enough to do.

By character sheets I mean the various sample characters scattered throughout the site. They are all done in HD.

I don't bother to model the various package deals in HD because it's a negligible task to add the abilities to individual characters as I need them; I find managing prefabs and trying to keep them in synch with content changes to be tedious and more trouble than it is worth for the most part. I mostly use prefab files for individual characters with VPPs to hold all of their possibles, but I just as frequently use the Equipment tab or even a second character sheet. In short, Im not a fan of prefabs.

I find Templates to work better for Package Deals anyway, and I definitely dont have the time to create Templates for every single package deal. That would be a maintenance nightmare, trying to keep the Template files and the html content in synch. If I ever bothered to do that, I would instead write an asp or aspx page to read the Template files and parse them into a Package Deal for display.

If some motivated soul wanted to take on the task of entering the content into HD I'd certainly work with them and host it, but time I spend doing busy work like that is less time I have to create new content, so it's just not a worthwhile use of my time.

Got to tell you man, I'd just about crawl over a pile of the living dead to get those HDC files. :)

Seriously though, I might very soon have some serious free time (by that I mean in a couple of months) and I might be able to help you out with the busy work aspect.

*sigh*

That's one thing I don't have to worry about doing anymore. Very nice work, KS. I think your implementation of the 2e magic system is tops. A fine demonstration of how Hero can be shaped to create a specific feel. The mechanics of that system work so nicely within Hero and still capture the same feel of WH2E.

The only thing I would do to simplify it for my players would be to make the Petty Magic Talent cost 20 points, and each of the other lores would remain 5 points (except Hedge).

Then you could turn Magic Rating into a simple talent (with your build as a background) at 15 points per MR and describe MR as a maximum of 10 AP per MR.

One thing to consider is, and this would be a game fudge, to have the Target Number and MR restrictions based on Real Points rather than Active. If you built spells, discounting limitations that affect casting methods (much like you suggest for components), then you would have base effects that have limitations concerning their effects. For instance, an argument could be made for a Death Bolt, RKA, affects only living material (-1/2) is easier to cast than Destructo Bolt, RKA, and ultimately provides more damage. END cost could still be based on Active cost. Such a system allows, inherently, for ritual magic to provide more effect per MR than a typical spell because of the extra time involved. Just ideas.

I really like what you have worked out.

Thanks mudpyr!

As far as basing the Target Numbers on Real Cost is concerned, I initially considered it, but discarded the idea.

The entire model is mathematically constrained; it is specifically built around a mathematical interaction between the average and maximum roll of xd6 vs the size of the Magic VPP. Trying to do it around Real Cost got sloppy fast. Active Points are much more consistent.

Also from a conceptual stand point, the character is basically channelling the raw power of Chaos into the world when they work magic; it makes sense to me that it's not the difficulty of the casting that matters -- it's the raw power it takes to fuel the effect.

This is further reenforced by the fact that most spells arent very heavily limited in their casting; most just take Incantations. Also, Ritual magic in WH isnt that big of a deal, so I didnt think it was prudent to warp the model to account for it. Ill re-review it, but off the cuff I would say that another extra "Ritual Die" could be added in the same vein as the Component Die and Material Component Die that basically is +1d6, Extra Time, or maybe +3d6 with some variant of Gradual Effect to indicate that the longer the character takes the more dice they get to roll. Specific spells that always require extra time cast could still take the ET lim normally, but all other spells that normally dont could be cast easier if the character takes their time.

If you ever get around to writing up a model that is Real Cost based I'd definitely take a look at it however.

Pretty good write-ups. I noticed a lot of them use a foil as one of the trappings. You may wish to consider changing the term to smallsword, as the latter was actually used in duels, whereas a foil is merely a training weapon. Otherwise, it's great.

Pretty good write-ups. I noticed a lot of them use a foil as one of the trappings. You may wish to consider changing the term to smallsword' date=' as the latter was actually used in duels, whereas a foil is merely a training weapon. Otherwise, it's great.[/quote']

Thanx! As far as foils, thats what is in the source material, but I suppose I could change it to "fencing weapon of choice".

Useless trivia of the day: I used to fence foil for a couple of years in high school. ;)

I could, if you wish, post a link to your site at the Warhammer board I moderate. I don't know if anyone else besides me plays HERO, but they may find your stuff useful. Who know? Maybe someone will give the HERO system a try.

I could' date=' if you wish, post a link to your site at the Warhammer board I moderate. I don't know if anyone else besides me plays HERO, but they may find your stuff useful. Who know? Maybe someone will give the HERO system a try.[/quote']

If you think it appropriate.

On the other hand I wouldnt want any of the wrong kind of attention from GW; they're better about it now but back in the day they were occasionally uncool about fan sites. While the Warhammer FRPG was dead in the water I didnt have any concern about it, but now that they are selling it again who knows.

If you think it appropriate.

On the other hand I wouldnt want any of the wrong kind of attention from GW; they're better about it now but back in the day they were occasionally uncool about fan sites. While the Warhammer FRPG was dead in the water I didnt have any concern about it, but now that they are selling it again who knows.

Well, we are a fan site ourselves, and we haven't had any grief from GW. However, if you're not comfortable with the idea, I won't post your links there. I only suggested it because some of the posters aren't too happy with WFRP v. 2, and one of them considered using a different system to handle skills.

Well' date=' we are a fan site ourselves, and we haven't had any grief from GW. However, if you're not comfortable with the idea, I won't post your links there. I only suggested it because some of the posters aren't too happy with WFRP v. 2, and one of them considered using a different system to handle skills.[/quote']

Perhaps if you just posted that there is a conversion from WHFRPG to the HERO System available, and ask interested parties to contact you for the link. I can't imagine there would be more than a couple of people with a serious interest in any event.