Martial Art Question

I already have some ideas on this one, but....

Given a person who, prior to an accident, was in excellent physical condition and practiced an acrobatic style of martial arts, but who now is easily tired (accident dropped CON from 15 to 6, with all related Figureds going down, too) and cannot consciously remember the martial arts they once performed, what styles and/or maneuvers would you all recommend? I'm thinking Aikido, maybe Tai Chi. Note that the character is more interested in evasion and divertion than power attacks (which is good, since STR went down to 8).

Also, how would you describe someone who is physically weak and lacks stamina, but is fully capable of pushing themselves till they drop through sheer force of will? At the moment, I'm writing this up as lowered STR and CON, with bonuses to EGO for rolls "Overcoming physical weakness", but, as usual, I wanna know what you think.

Re: Martial Art Question

So, is the character using martial arts that she doesn't conciously remember? I guess any martial art would do actually, her body remember but her mind doesn't. Judo might be a good option for the defensive feel.

As for "pushing" herself, just buy more raw end while keeping str and con low.

Guest Black Lotus

Blackrose, when it comes to a style of Martial Arts, realistically speaking, you MUST consciously think about what you're doing to perform maneuvers and katas correctly. Trust me on that; I've been a martial artist myself for many years. The mind is as important as the body in martial arts.

Of course, in your campaign, you can do what you please. I recommend, however, not applying any style at all to the players' hand-to-hand attacks -- but giving him/ her CSLs for hand-to-hand combat just the same. That way, the character has forgotten what style of martial arts they used to pracice, but the "muscle memory" is still there.

I can say without a doubt, though, that if your character cannot consciously remember his martial arts style, the full benefit of said style (or any style) should not apply unless he enters some form of meditative state before combat. There's another idea: perhaps he can learn to enter a meditative state wherein he regains his ability to use his Martial Arts style.

I agree with Black Lotus about the consciously knowing your art, but there is some instinct involved in knowng what to do. Should the character not remember is training, he might have some residual reflexes. If that's the case, I'd suggest a simple +2 with HTH Combat. That gives you either a +2 OCV, +2 DCV, +1 OCV/+1 DCV, or a +1 DC in HTH. It isn't really a martial art, but it's enough of an edge over natural ability it might compensate for one (and it only costs 10 points).

Sorry, I should have been more clear. She doesn't remember her old martial art consciously (sometimes she sees things and thinks, "that's not how you do that," but not much more). I was trying to say that, despite her physical weakness, her body is trained for such things; she's almost obscenely flexible and her balance is superb (her DEX was unaffected by her accident). Though she may relearn her old style, she needs something to fend off the people she cheesed off before she lost her memory.

What I'm really asking is, does anyone have suggestions for a martial art style suited for someone with near-inhuman coordination but little physical Strength and Constitution (GT: STR 8, DEX 21, CON 6). The style should focus on avoidance and low-STR pain moves; anything to keep things to her advantage (speed and grace) and avoid direct STR to STR contests (which she'd lose to just about anyone).

Sorry, I should have been more clear. She doesn't remember her old martial art consciously (sometimes she sees things and thinks, "that's not how you do that," but not much more). I was trying to say that, despite her physical weakness, her body is trained for such things; she's almost obscenely flexible and her balance is superb (her DEX was unaffected by her accident). Though she may relearn her old style, she needs something to fend off the people she cheesed off before she lost her memory.

What I'm really asking is, does anyone have suggestions for a martial art style suited for someone with near-inhuman coordination but little physical Strength and Constitution (GT: STR 8, DEX 21, CON 6). The style should focus on avoidance and low-STR pain moves; anything to keep things to her advantage (speed and grace) and avoid direct STR to STR contests (which she'd lose to just about anyone).

I think your initial ideas for Tai Chi Chu'an or Aikido were pretty good, although jujitsu is also a good art if one needs to use an opponent's STR instead of one's own. Do you have UMA to look at those styles? I can PM you the maneuvers that go with each if you wish.

Hwarang-Do (as presented in the Ultimate Martial Artist) could be a good choice. It's balanced style suitable for any type of character. Powerful enough to have been studied by a strong, healty student, but still have techniques applicable to someone dificient in those areas. The maneuvers specifically usefull include a Choke, Finger Strike, Joint Break and Throw. Block also useful. There is no Dodge maneuver, but a character lacking STR and CON probably shouldn't be jumping around a lot anyway.

I think your initial ideas for Tai Chi Chu'an or Aikido were pretty good' date=' although jujitsu is also a good art if one needs to use an opponent's STR instead of one's own. Do you have UMA to look at those styles? I can PM you the maneuvers that go with each if you wish.[/quote']

Oh trust me, I have UMA. :D If I could only have, say, three books for HERO, reFREd, UMA and NH would be the ones. I'm too much a martial arts junkie to do without them. Heck, I bought UMA during my fiancee's visit two years ago. Granted, I didn't read it around her, but still....

Hwarang-Do (as presented in the Ultimate Martial Artist) could be a good choice. It's balanced style suitable for any type of character. Powerful enough to have been studied by a strong' date=' healty student, but still have techniques applicable to someone dificient in those areas. The maneuvers specifically usefull include a Choke, Finger Strike, Joint Break and Throw. Block also useful. There is no Dodge maneuver, but a character lacking STR and CON probably shouldn't be jumping around a lot anyway.[/quote']

I'm planning on focusing on the "STR doesn't really matter" moves: Nerve Strike, Killing Strike, various Joint Locks and such.

And as for Dodging, she'll be pulling more of the "letting the attack brush millimetres from my skin" dodge than the acrobatic variety - at least until she gets her health back.

As to the over-coming of weakness' date=' I'd probably buy the character +10 endurance, 8 charges, requires ego roll. So basically the character can push 8 times before he becomes too exhausted.[/quote']

The problem isn't so much the END; she's got a decent amount of that. It's the STR and CON. And as soon as I saw your post, the solution came to me: a few points of STR (and maybe CON), with a Side Effect of STUN damage.

Shoot it might make no sense but this is comic/cinematic reality after all just let her have a perfect intuative knowlage of an art "effortless efort" another DCV intensive style might be White crane Wu shu...other wise Tai chi or Pakua sounds good...:)