A different kind of super mage

Mark Rand

Today, while on the way home from work, I had an interesting idea for an NPC mage for the campaign I'm working on.

The character's heroic identity is straight out of one of the Japanese magic girl comics. Her powers all have either a sun or solar theme.

However, the character's civilian identity is a teenage boy. Apparently, this has happened in such comics.

Comment is invited.

Re: A different kind of super mage

Today, while on the way home from work, I had an interesting idea for an NPC mage for the campaign I'm working on.

The character's heroic identity is straight out of one of the Japanese magic girl comics. Her powers all have either a sun or solar theme.

However, the character's civilian identity is a teenage boy. Apparently, this has happened in such comics.

Comment is invited.

Yep, it's been done various places. I have around someplace the first two chapters of "Pastel Angel" which does that.

For a more long-form version, seek out Shining Generation Valkyrie Yuuki (webcomic) though in that case, the gender switch is effectively permanent for both identities.

The anime versions of the Sailor Starlights from the Sailor Moon series would count as well.

In truth, I started getting interested in magic girls by accident. Sailor Moon was on just before Voltron 3D on Saturday mornings and I'd turn the tv on a bit early and caught the last few minutes of Sailor Moon. Although I watched a few episodes through, I couldn't understand it.

Then, I noticed the Sailor Moon RPG at my local game store. Glancing through it, I noticed that a sailor scout could have a male secret ID. I didn't think about it any more until I remembered Michael Surbrook's article Anime and the Hero System in Digital Hero issue 8.

As far as the Sailor Starlights go, I read somewhere that they were in the third series. All we got here in Pittsburgh was the first one.

Our heroine claims to be Princess Solara of Heliopolis, the City of the Sun, and looks like Sailor Mars. She's skilled in martial arts and kendo. (One spell creates a katana out of light that acts like a metal one. It can be blocked, but can't be knocked out of her hands.) The princess's male form is 16, wears glasses, plays soccer in high school, and swims for fun.

So, for more useful thoughts, a lot of the character's personality will depend on how much mental dichotomy there is between the super and normal identities and just how this came about.

For example, on the mental dichotomy....

No Change: The personality of Sun Maid (placeholder name) doesn't change at all in the transformation. The female form is effectively just a flesh costume. Sun Maid uses masculine speech patterns (much more noticeable in Japanese), acts macho, and ogles women.

Mind Male, Brain Female: Much the same as above, since Sun Maid retains all her male memories and personality traits, but the physical wiring of her brain has changed to a "female" setting. The effects are subtle (depending on which studies about brain differences you believe) but this can have the fun effect of Sun Maid being mentally attracted to women while physically attracted to men.

Partial Change: Sun Maid is still mostly the same person inside, but his more overtly male behaviors and emotions have been switched out for female ones. She acts much more naturally feminine, but is still probably a tomboy by Japanese standards. The Secret ID gets much easier to maintain, since Sun Maid is now much less likely to make gender role slips.

Massive Change: Sun Maid is almost entirely a different person than her normal identity. She retains his memories, but reacts to them as though she had always been female. Both forms may now fear turning into the other and "losing myself."

Complete Change: Sun Maid and the teenage boy are entirely separate personalities, sharing only a body. The transformation now becomes essentially an "Accidental Change" as neither is likely to voluntarily become the other. (This can also be done as "the voice in my head" option; the second personality is aware and can talk to the "driver" but is otherwise unable to affect anything.)

And the How Sun Maid Got This Way options:

Accident: Teenaged boy just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time, and ZAP. This version may have no "tech support" whatsoever and have to learn her powers by trial and error. In "Pastel Angel", Pastel Angel Pink's archenemy was going to be the girl who was *supposed* to get the powers.

Chosen (non-inheritance): The being that gives out these powers decided that teenaged boy is the only person worthy of wielding the power of Sun Maid. Generally this option comes with a great destiny that Sun Maid must fulfill at any cost. Does come with either a wise mentor or a helpful sidekick who can explain needed details.

Inheritance (non-genetic): The teenaged boy is descended from a long line of female supermages, and has broken the line by being born male. Good thing Mom or Grandma had that handy gender-changing trinket handy for just such an occasion. Now, if they'd only shut up about Sun Maid needing to ensure the succession....

Genetic: "Well, son, there's something I've been meaning to tell you. All the men in our family have the ability to turn into hot women with magical powers. I myself was Princess Pyro back in the day." "No offense, Dad, but eww." This is a good one to use the Mind Male, Brain Female option on.

Side-Effect: The teenaged boy wanted to become a supermage, and trained to get the chance--it's just that in order to use the magic, he has to be female first. Your option whether he knew about that catch in advance.

The previous Sun Maid (to use the placeholder name) was born Akiko Tanaka. She was active during the 50s, 60s, and 70s. She hoped that her daughter, Midori, would take up the mantle, but Midori couldn't get the bracelet that triggered the transformation to work for her.

One day, while in the attic, Midori told Tim, her half-Japanese son, about his grandmother and showed him the footlocker that contained her costume, scrap books, diaries and the bracelet that triggered her transformation. Midori admitted that she'd once tried the costume on and tried to make the change, but it wouldn't work for her. She also showed him a photo of herself in the costume and demonstrated that she couldn't change.

Tim, half jokingly, suggested that he try it. Midori agreed, and Tim, much to their amazement, transformed into a woman, in her early 20s, whose black hair fell to her knees. With some help from his mother, he tried the costume on and it fit perfectly. He was even able to gracefully walk in the costume's high heeled shoes without any trouble and pick things up in his white-gloved hands.

After changing back and forth twice, he started reading through the scrap books and diaries.

Unfortunately, there wasn't much there to help him learn how to use his powers. (When Sun Maid is in costume, the bracelet's hidden by her left glove. When she [he?] is Tim, it's invisible and intangable until he mentally calls for it.)

So, since he's displaying motor reflexes adapted to his new form is he feeling any sort of mental shift or is this just a very comfortable though differently shaped meat suit?

Far more amusing is the thought of adding in descendants of related magical girls and hangers-on such as the male descendant of the masculine sidekick/cheerleader who is really confused that "Sun Maid II" is far more interested in watching other girls or is aggressive and masculine in behavior and combat while still comporting herself as the refined "Mistress of the Solar Winds" at all other times.

The next most important question is where is the archenemy that most magical girls strive against for at least a season? Did the "Servants of the Outer Dark" disappear into human society becoming real estate agents, telemarketers and interior decorators until the dark summons transforms them once more?

That evening, as Midori, now wearing black tights, a turtleneck leotard, and white running shoes and socks, left her bedroom, she spotted Tim and noticed his thoughtfull expression. "What's wrong?" she asked.

"This whole transformation thing is gross and very strange," he replied. "I'm a guy, but I was moving as if I'd always been a woman. Am I a freak?"

"No. You're now a superhero that can change into a woman and do magic only in that form."

"Am I going to have female motor skills all the time?"

"I don't know," Midori replied. "Let's find out."

"How?" Tim asked.

"As Sun Maid, you handled a book and several small items, while gloved, with no trouble at all. I propose that you try looking through a book, then picking up my eyebrow pencil, mascara, and lipstick while gloved."

"Eww," Tim said.

"It's the only way to make sure."

"Fine," Tim mumbled.

"We'll start with cotton gloves," Midori said, opening her dresser and pulling out a pair of black, wrist-length gloves. Tossing them to him, she said, "Put them on." He did and tried to handle one of her textbooks.

"No luck," he said. After also having the same luck with his mother's makeup items, Tim took the black gloves off and returned them to her.

"I think that, when you changed for the first time, female motor skills were given to you and your male ones suppressed," Midori said, replacing her gloves and closing the drawer. "When you changed back, the female motor skills were suppressed and your male ones unsuppressed. Does that make sense?"

"I suppose. Did I get any other skills at the same time?"

"What kind?"

"Do I know how to comport myself as a woman?" Tim asked.

"I don't know," Midori replied. "We'll have to find out some time."

"I didn't know you were once a model," Tim replied, pointing to the textbook he'd been looking through.

"I was a model before becoming a makeup artist and hair stylist," Midori said. "That's where I learned the value of exersize. If you want, we can continue this discussion while I work out in the basement gym."

"No problem," Tim said.

I've decided on Solara for Tim's costumed identity. He made up the title "Princess of Heliopolis". The title "Mistress of the Solar Winds" was a nickname given to Solara when Akiko wore the mantle.

You realize the first thing Tim needs to do is contact grandma. If anybody can give him detailed info about his new form/powers it's grandma.

Oh, when he changes, does he look just like the previous Solara or is it just a similar costume/set of powers?

As far as your background story goes, this is a great spot for a "meanwhile", where you show the traditional waking of mystic enemies and their new schemes. Remember, no villains to oppose makes the hero less heroic-seeming.

Once in the gym, a room with free weights, several multipurpose exersize machines and a treadmill, Midori said, "We should see if your strength and running speed change when you change identities."

"What about reflexes and health?" Tim asked. "Also, I should get in touch with Grandmother Akiko and get advice from her."

"We can test your reflexes and health later," Midori said. "As far as talking to Akiko goes, how are you going to do it. We're in Pittsburgh. She retired to Phoenix five years ago because the desert air's good for her." Midori knew how to get in touch with her mother, but she wanted to see if Tim could figure it out.

"Telephone," Tim replied.

"Got it in one," Midori said with a grin. "I'll call her later."

"How are you going to test me?"

"We'll test your strength as Tim and Solara with free weights and your running speed on the treadmill," Midori replied. "I'll set it to measure your running speed."

"I can't run with heels on," Tim said.

"Solara can," Midori said.

"Fine," Tim said. After his tests were done, he changed to his heroic identity.

"This is getting easier," Solara said. "Wait a minute. What's this red band doing on the top of the gloves?"

"The cuffs have always been red," Midori replied. "You just didn't notice it before because of the low light in the attic."

"Oh."

"I just noticed something else about your gloves," Midori said. "I thought they were cloth, which is why we did the test upstairs with cotton gloves on. These are glace, or grain, finished kid leather."

"What's kid leather?" Tim asked.

"Kid leather, or kidskin, is an extremely soft, smooth, thin type of leather made from the skins of milk-fed baby goats."

"I didn't know that."

"Now, you do," Midori said. They completed their tests and noted that Solara was slightly stronger and faster than Tim.

Oops, almost forgot. After Solara starts appearing in public, some people, especially, Sailor Moon fans, will call her "Sailor Sun".

As Midori worked out, Solara changed back to Tim. He then said, "I wonder if I could kick a foe like I do a soccer ball."

"Probably, but you'll kick it harder and the way you kick it may change." Then, remembering that her son's team was co-ed, she asked, "How to the girls on your team kick the ball?"

"However they can," he replied. "Most kick it the same way I do."

"There's your answer," she said.

"Didn't think of that."

Later, after Midori finished her workout, they returned to her bedroom and he tried handling things with gloves on again. This time, he used an old pair of unlined kid gloves that Midori had selected. The results were identical to the test with the cotton gloves. "You don't have Solara's fine motor skills," Midori said. Then, after looking at her bedside clock, she added, "I'll call mother and invite her for a visit right now."

"Isn't it too late to call her?"

"It's two hours earlier in Phoenix," Midori replied.

"Oh."

After Midori called her mother and told her son that Akiko would fly up soon, they both went to bed. As Tim slept, he dreamed about the past Solaras.

The first had been the daughter of a Samurai family in 16th century Japan. Her costume was a kimono. Although it was the same color as the one her family wore, it bore symbols relating to the Shinto sun goddess, Amartasu because she was thought to be the goddess's avatar.

The first American Solara was Keiko, the widow of a Samurai who married a rancher after moving to Colorado Springs with her daughter in the 1870s, when there were a number of Western heroes. When she transformed, she bacame a blonde American woman and her clothes, those of a working rancher, changed color, too. Additionally, her mare changed from a strawberry roan to a palomino. She was the first to call herself Solara while in costume.

The first Solara in the 1900s was Akiko's mother, Fujiko, a nurse, who was active from 1920 to 1945. Over the years, her costume varied, but she always wore long sleeves and short gloves and was a redhead while in costume.

Akiko, Tim's grandmother, was next to assume Solara's mantle in 1955. Although she had black hair in her costumed identity, her features were those of a white woman. Her costume also varied over the years, but the nautical style of it never changed. She was the first Solara refered to as "The Mistress of the Solar Winds", and was also the first to generate a solar sword. Tim noted that it resembled the family's honor sword, which sat, in an oak rack, on the living room mantle.

Two words YE GODS!!!!!

This babe would make a perfect counterpart to a certain Princess of the Dreamzone.If you'd like I'll post Dreamy's stats in HDC here and give you her background. :hail::rofl::cool:

Go ahead.

Solara is not an avatar of Amaterasu. People in ancient Japanese thought she was because her powers were like those of the sun. She's simply a mage that gets her END from the solar wind, a stream of charged particals (i.e. a plasma) whivh are ejected from the upper atmosphere of a star. When originating from stars other than the Earth's Sun, it is sometimes called a stellar wind.

Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_wind for more information.

Errors in prevoius posts have been corrected.

When Midori helped Solara put the costume on the first time, all she helped with were the tunic and skirt. Since Solara put the shoes and gloves on, Midori, who hadn't worn them in 15 years, forgot that they were made of kidskin until she touched them in the gym.

Have you ever read Ranma 1/2 or seen the videos? This is a boy that transforms into a girl when hit with cold water, and back to a boy when hit with warm water (it's a martial arts theme, though). The issues of socializing become very funny, as well as with his nemesis: he hates the boy and is in love with the girl.

PS: I wanted to do a character like this with my previous group, but the GM said he wasn't prepared to deal with those situations.

Her powers all have either a sun or solar theme.

Comment is invited.

So this begs the question: can the character be kidnapped as a sacrificial version in one form, but not the other? :)

Sorry, I'll be going now.

Have you ever read Ranma 1/2 or seen the videos? This is a boy that transforms into a girl when hit with cold water, and back to a boy when hit with warm water (it's a martial arts theme, though). The issues of socializing become very funny, as well as with his nemesis: he hates the boy and is in love with the girl.

PS: I wanted to do a character like this with my previous group, but the GM said he wasn't prepared to deal with those situations.

I've never read it nor seen the videos. However, I did see a writeup of the main character somewhere.

So this begs the question: can the character be kidnapped as a sacrificial version in one form, but not the other? :)

Sorry, I'll be going now.

Both Tim and Solara can be kidnapped as a sacrifical victim.

Of course, Holding onto Tim would be a lot easier than holding onto Solara. She can use a light spell to blind her kidnappers, heat to burn through restraints, and, although part of a Samurai clan, she has no problem fighting dirty. Of course, if her foe fights by the rules, she will, too.

So, you're afflicted by lycanthropcy?

Yeah.

What do you turn into? Tiger? Wolf? Bear?

Um...

Well C'mon!

I turn into a chick.

A what?

A chick! I'm a were-chick, alright?!

Whoa, that's freaky.

Very cool.

As the dream ended, Tim heard a knock on his door. "Yes?" he mumbled.

"May I come in?" Midori asked from the opening.

"Sure."

"Thank you," she said, sitting on his desk chair. "I just had a strange dream."

"About past Solaras?"

"Yeah."

"Me, too."

"I never knew that each had her own costume and look," Midori said. "I wonder if they all had the same abilities or new ones were added over the years."

"Something else to ask grandmother when she comes. Mom, I still can't understand why I fumbled so much when I was wearing your gloves. They didn't look that thick."

"They weren't," Midori said. "You've only worn gloves in cold weather, right?"

"Right, same for any guy."

"Women wear gloves at weddings, funerals, and other formal occasions," Midori said. "Men don't. Also, women's gloves are usually thinner than mens."

"A tactile difference that I wasn't used to," Tim guessed.

"Probably," Midori responded. "When you were Solara, you could've also been drawing on the experiences of former Solaras."

"I get it. Keiko was a rancher's wife. When she worked with him on the range she wore gloves to protect her hands. Great Grandmother Fujiko and Grandmother Akiko probably wore them because it was fashionable."

"Right. Of course, they also wore them to keep from leaving fingerprints."

"That goes without saying," Tim said. "I guess you wore them a lot when you were modeling."

"I sure did," Midori admitted as they saw a blue glow appear in mid-air between them. "Now what?"

"Do you two have a few minutes to talk?" asked the glow in a familiar voice.

"Cathy!" Midori yelped, recognising the voice of a favorite baby sitter. "I thought you were dead."

"I am," she said. "Now, I'm a ghost bringing important information from on high."

"We'd love to talk to you, right, Mother." Tim managed to get out.

"Sure," Midori said.

"Thank you," Cathy said as she shifted from a blue glow to a beautiful brunette wearing a white ball gown and opera-length white gloves.

"You're welcome," Tim said, sitting up and moving so that Cathy could sit beside him.

Cathy did so, and Tim felt the bed shift slightly. After I was killed, I found myself before Saint Peter. He said that I could either go directly to Heven or work, as a messanger, for a group of celestrial beings known, officially as "The Powers That Be". Unofficially, they're known by other things, some of which are impolite. I chose to work for the Powers.

"He then gave me a briefing on the Celestrial Bureaucracy. At the top is God Himself and His messengers. One of which is Joan of Arc. Just below him, at level two, are the various pathenons. The Powers, who I work for, are at level ten.

"Midori, they're the ones that control Solara's activation. When your mother retired, they decided that Solara wasn't needed and shut the bracelet down. Today, they decided to activate her. Sensing that you were holding the bracelet, they activated it. By the time they finished, Tim was holding it, not you.

"It caused an uproar up there. Amartasu, who is very sweet, the Powers, and I were called before Himself. The powers petitioned that Midori be given the power. Amaterasu confirmed that you both were Fujiko's blood decendents. I told Him that you both were good natured and had courage. He decided that you should remain Solara, Tim. Any questions?"

"Will I be able to comport myself as a woman when I'm Solara?" Tim asked.

"Yes," Cathy replied. "As Solara, you'll be a woman in every respect but one. Your reproductive system will be shut down. However, as Tim will still be able to father children."

"I understand," Tim said.

"Once you're used to becoming Solara, you should feel a mental shift."

"I think I did when mother and I were in the basement gym."

"Good."

"How much will you be able to teach him, Cathy?" Midori asked.

"Nothing about Solara's powers. The best person to do what would be Fujiko."

"I've already phoned mother. She'll be here, soon."

"Good. I can, however, teach you about the Celestrial Bureaucracy and let you know when the Powers need your help."

"Fair enough," Tim said.

"One quick favor," Cathy said. "Since we were such close friends, can we share a kiss?"

"Yes," Tim said. "Let's make it passionate. After all, I had a crush on you for years."

"I'd like that." They put their arms around each other and kissed hard. As they broke it, Cathy took Tim's hands in hers and said, "I'll see you around the universe," before vanishing.

Mark, while the fiction bits so far have been okay as exposition, they'd need a lot of punching up in a story. Everyone's been far too calm and accepting; there's no sense of conflict or that this change is going to be a problem for anyone.

Mark' date=' while the fiction bits so far have been okay as exposition, they'd need a lot of punching up in a story. Everyone's been far too calm and accepting; there's no sense of conflict or that this change is going to be a problem for anyone.[/quote']

I hear you. I've been giving some thought of ending this thread and doing a 2.0 version of it, perhaps starting with Tim having to do a report for history class on Solara.