The Serpent Lantern.

Herolover

Hello all. For those of you not wanting VIPER spoilers from the book stop reading now...........................................................................................

................................................................................................

...............................................................................................

...............................................................................................

Okay. The Serpent Lantern is a mystical artifact inhabited by "The Serpent of the Lantern." The Serpent of the Lantern is actually a spirit-snake which happnes to be the son of the Nama.

Now. Assuming the spirit-snake could get out of the lantern or give powers to people-things what power would you give it? What powers could it grant?

The reason I ask is I am creating an adventure using this and will post to the board when I get more written up.

Re: The Serpent Lantern.

Well traditional "SErpant" gifts are in the field of sexuality (Super seducer powers) Spirit medium (A big multi of "spirit powers") and Death and fear powers (many super villians) so I'd start there in a brainstorming session...

The serpent biting its tail is often a sign of eternity' date=' or renewal. The molting of snakeskin is also associated with the latter, so Time or Life extending powers would be possible.[/quote']

That would also fit with the primary function of the Lantern itself: extending the lifespans of the Council of Thirty (while binding them in loyalty to Nama).

The USPD (printed and online versions) have scads of examples of Time powers, but how about life-based abilities? Not just the usual Aid and Healing applications, but extending the life principle to inanimate matter? That could be the SFX for a bunch of powers that would take an "Object or Material of Opportunity" Limitation: Telekinesis, RKA, Entangle, Force Wall, Stretching, Summon, Extra Limbs, etc. In fact the physical form that the Serpent took might be based on animating some form of matter, which could justify great strength and durability (stone or metal), or malleability and resistance to lasting injury (water or sand).

In fact the physical form that the Serpent took might be based on animating some form of matter' date=' which could justify great strength and durability (stone or metal), or malleability and resistance to lasting injury (water or sand).[/quote']

I like this. What if the Serpent wasn't in the Lantern, but the Lantern itself. Once Dr. D tossed it into space and it came back to Earth it "inhabited" some other object, thus the reason that no one else has been able to find it (except for the Supreme Serpent and he isn't telling).

The other thing the Lantern did for the Thirty was bind them into non-betrayal. You definetly have some sort of transform there. If the Serpent is "sleeping" but the powers are still available to others this could be nasty. Some villian finds an object that will allow him to geas others with a touch? As well as extend their lives. Okay so there is a small side effect of a snake tattoo, but hey what does the bad guy care, he has power, until;

:Knock, knock: "Can I help you? You are looking for something called the Serpent Lantern? No Lantern here. Maybe go check at Kyle Rayner's place." :bang: "Wow, you Viper guys don't have a sense of humor do you?"

I'm working on a Viper themed game also and I have been working on the the third scion of Nama. Someone mentioned the snake shedding his skin motif earlier. Nama's son has that ability. It allows him to shapeshift with almost 100% accuracy into any person. Full memories,skills, powers, etc. He has traveled the world studying with the greatest martial artists for centuries. Also has a smattering of magic ability.

I'm running him as the sneaky one with Viperia as the in-your-face child. I haven't given much thought to the Serpent Lantern yet. Hmm, but now my brain is churning on that one.

Wow. You guys have come up with some great stuff and much of it is right along my own ways of thinking about an adventure I am going to run using the Serpent Lantern. I am going to start another thread so you can see more of my adventure idea.