Brooklyn Superhero Supply Company - Omigod...

Logan D

Just what ya see, pal.

This... is too damn cool. Here's some pics someone took...

Brooklyn Superhero Supply

Sign

Shelf 1

Shelf 2

Invisibility Testing

Secret ID!

Sidekickery

I found this as a post on the City of Heroes forums. The original poster had this to say about the BSSC. -

The best part is that it's a real store. You can go in and buy this stuff. They've got shelves full of weird X-ray goggles, jars of evil, racks of tights and masks, hi-tech tubes and equipment -- it's awesome. When you purchase something, they even make you swear an oath to uphold the law and fight for justice. The BEST part is the 'Cape Tester', which is a mini-catwalk about three steps off the floor, and after you put on a cape and ascend, the clerk flips a switch and a fan starts blowing the cape from beneath you, and heroic lights come down from above.

The back story behind the store -- from what I remember -- is that it's part of a McSweeney's project for kids. (McSweeney's is a popular quarterly magazine by the hottest new literati talent.) The store isn't really as much a store as a front for children's writing workshops, which are offered for free, and funded by donations and 'superhero' item novelty sales. The kids come in, shop around the coolest store in the world, and then walk through a secret passage in back to get writing lessons from professionals. It's a great way for youngsters to get involved in the arts.

They also hold semi-regular book sales, and frequently hold seminars for adults, in addition to having awesome speakers (like Jon Stewart and Steven Colbert.) I'm pretty sure that they also sponsor concerts; I think they were behind a local David Byrne performance.

Anyway, if you're ever in Park Slope in Brooklyn, check it out. It's on 5th Avenue, between 5th and 6th Streets.

Now how cool is THAT???

I must visit this place at least once before I die.

Heh. Never had a reason to go to Brooklyn before. NOW I do!!!

Re: Brooklyn Superhero Supply Company - Omigod...

i remember going to their wab sire. Its attached to a child literacy program or something like that. Cant remember exactly was just bouncing around the web and found it .

here we go

http://www.superherosupplies.com/

click on the 826 nyc affiliation

creating writing organization for kids