Teleportation Attack

CrosshairCollie

Here's what I'm trying to construct ... the character teleports for her primary method of movement. The special effect is converting her body to energy, transmitting it, and reassembling at the destination.

Now, for an attack, I'm trying to figure out how to set it up so that the energy damages someone or something as she passes through it, kind of like becoming a 'living energy blast' for a split second. She doesn't have to use it as an attack, though.

Somehow, just linking an EB to the Teleport doesn't seem to work right, at least in my head ... any help?

You could just buy an Energy Blast, and apply a Limited Power Limitation (of -3/4 or so) that you can only use it immediately following a Teleport, and that the target of the EB must be in a such a position that you could draw a straight line between your original position, the target, and your new position.

Alternately, you might use this special effect as justification to try and convince your GM to allow you to use Teleport for a Move Through. Normally, you can't do that, but it might be reasonable for this effect... essentially, you're causing damage to something along a movement path, and that sounds like Move Through.

Hmmm, an interesting idea.

I don't see any major problem with Linking an EB to your Teleportation. It's a bit of a stretch, perhaps, but not unreasonable given that you could do something similar with Flight, Desolidification, and an EB (for, admittedly, a much higher cost). You just have to define a "flight path" that takes you through the target. If you wanted to zap multiple people in a line, you'd have to Rapid Fire with the EB.

As precedent for this, take a look at the Charging Slash power on NH 38. Also, IIRC, I built a couple of abilities in The UNTIL Superpowers Database that are similar to what you're describing, so you can check that out when it's available.

Well, ok, but why not buy Flight linked to Desolid with an offensive usable while Desolid Damage Shield, SFX: turns to energy and moves through space in energy form, reforming at thier destination? Move Through Move Through Move Through?

Its expensive as all get out, but there you go.

Alternately, Teleport w/ a Linked No Range Any Area (or Line) attack, with the 'flight path' equaling the Any Area/Line as part of the Link.

The 'expensive as all get out' part of it is the big reason, yes. Plus, the attack is instantaneous, so using Flight would enable her to be interrupted. Plus I'm very steadfast against Affects Physical World attacks; I just don't like 'em. :) I'd also take 'recoil' damage from the Move Throughs ...

It's also single-target, so the AE is out.

Thanks, though. :)

Re: Teleportation Attack

Originally posted by CrosshairCollie

Here's what I'm trying to construct ... the character teleports for her primary method of movement. The special effect is converting her body to energy, transmitting it, and reassembling at the destination.

Now, for an attack, I'm trying to figure out how to set it up so that the energy damages someone or something as she passes through it, kind of like becoming a 'living energy blast' for a split second. She doesn't have to use it as an attack, though.

Somehow, just linking an EB to the Teleport doesn't seem to work right, at least in my head ... any help?

I had a character with a similar attack. Was an NND EB, linked to teleport, must teleport through target. Defense was target had to have 10 ED or more for it to work, theorizing that you needed to have some resistance to your moving through for the attack to be felt by the target. Worked pretty well.

Y'know, couldn't you just use a variant of the "method of propulsion can cause damage to the area" option recently explored in the Vehicle stuff? You know, things like a helicopter's rotors, a rocket's exhaust, that sort of thing. You could buy it as a Naked Advantage on your Teleport. (I know the effect in question is usually done as a Disad, but if you want to be able to turn it on & off, that makes it more of an Advantage in my eyes. YMMV.)

If you mean an 'ultimate vehicle' book of some sort, I don't have one or access to one ... I'm on FREd and CKC, with a borrowed Champions genre book. *sigh* I just got a new job, though, so maybe ...

If you mean vehicle rules in FREd or Champs, can I get a page number reference? I haven't seen that before ...

Yes, it's from The Ultimate Vehicle, pages 30 & 31. I'm not going to violate a copyright by posting a segment of the book to these public boards. However, PM me and maybe I can fill you in on it without violating things too badly.

BTW, where in Missouri are you located? I'm in Columbia, half way between St. Louis & KC.