Godzilla Final Wars Hero / Kaiju meet Supers

OddHat

I was watching Godzilla: Final Wars this morning during my workout, and thinking it would make an interesting change of pace Champions campaign.

The basic campaign idea, lifted from the movie and very slightly tweaked: 12,000,000 years ago one or more alien races tampered with the genetic material of life on Earth, for reasons that remain unclear. Throughout history, this has resulted in rare but dramatic outbreaks of near-paranormal mutation both in human and animal life. Human mutants most often manifest extreme physical competence, extended life-spans, and limited psionic abilities. Animal mutants might manifest similar traits. And then, there are the Kaiju / Metafauna.

Typical Metafauna are normal animals with their size increased many hundreds of times. Despite the square-cube law, they lose none of their physical strength or speed, and often gain disproportionate increases in strength and durability. Some become chimera, acquiring multiple working features (wigs, stings, electricity generating glands, etc) not present in the baseline animal.

Most Metafauna will be driven mad by hunger fairly quickly, and will cause great destruction before dying due to starvation. The most powerful of the Metafauna (Godzilla, Gamera, Mothra class creatures) seem to draw on a (possibly extra dimensional) source of energy that allows them to avoid this fate. Further, when suffering severe injuries, these creatures tend to lapse into a dormant state rather than dying, until their nearly unlimited recuperative powers revive them. Myths, legends and conspiracy theories link these great Kaiju to direct intervention by multiple alien races, though again the purpose of this intervention remains un-clear.

The mid-twentieth century saw the start of a new wave of Kaiju manifestations, causing vast destruction, while the last third of the twentieth century saw a wave of metahuman manifestations. While some Metahumans have fallen to the lure of crime, and many seek to hide their abnormalities, a significant number have joined the United Nation's Earth Defense Force, using their amazing powers to help stand against the dangers of metahuman criminals, Metafauna attacks, and the constant threat of Alien invasion.

Characters would be 350 point supers with an active point limit of around 60 on all powers (no stop-sign powers, frameworks or advantages), while the Kaiju are build on at least a thousand combat-optimized points with no spending caps.

Has anyone played in a game like this? Any ideas?

By the way, when the movie is finally out in an English subtitled DVD, buy it. It rocks. :)

Re: Godzilla Final Wars Hero / Kaiju meet Supers

Has anyone played in a game like this? Any ideas?

*Like* that; no - - though it certainly does sound like a fun campaign to me. I have used giant monsters in serveral of my Champions scenarios (a lifetime of watching the big G and Ultraman and such is bound to have an effect :) ), and they tend to go pretty well. Somehow, the PCs take it more in stride that they can't defeat a giant rampaging monster than a nutjob in a suit of hightech armor... :D

By the way' date=' when the movie is finally out in an English subtitled DVD, buy it. It rocks. :)[/quote']

Glad to hear that; most of the reviews I've heard/read are... well, less than encouraging. Mind you, I already have the Special Edition DVD preorderded (ok; bound to have a BIG effect :D )

-Yogzilla

Glad to hear that; most of the reviews I've heard/read are... well, less than encouraging. Mind you, I already have the Special Edition DVD preorderded (ok; bound to have a BIG effect :D )

-Yogzilla

It will depend on your tastes. ;)

The movies has:

Classic Japanese giant monster movie footage presented as if it were history.

Teams of human mutants, in high-tech armor, using super-vehicles to fight giant monsters.

Aliens and the tiny twin heralds of Mothra.

Multiple great cities under stock-footage fueled attack.

Special effects ranging from not bad to, well, bad.

Dialog from not bad to, well, bad (the subtitled version might be better).

Picking this film apart is easy, but the part of my brain that's still an eight-year-old loved it. :)

That movie flat out rocked. :D

I still hold out hope that my article for DH on a similar theme will see the light of day, but it's a big sucker, and I know they get a lot of those (Heck, they got 2 just from me). ;)

It will depend on your tastes. ;)

The movies has:

Classic Japanese giant monster movie footage presented as if it were history.

Teams of human mutants, in high-tech armor, using super-vehicles to fight giant monsters.

Aliens and the tiny twin heralds of Mothra.

Multiple great cities under stock-footage fueled attack.

Special effects ranging from not bad to, well, bad.

Dialog from not bad to, well, bad (the subtitled version might be better).

Picking this film apart is easy, but the part of my brain that's still an eight-year-old loved it. :)

While I agree with everything you listed, you left out one of the best parts.

Godzilla curb-stomping GINO ("Godzilla in Name Only" from the American movie)

That alone darn near made it worth it for me. ;)

You spend too much time around NeoMonster Island, Prod. And I know, I'm a mod on their forums. :nonp:

But I like the idea of Metafauna. They can be deus ex machina unto themselves; your heroes may have to contain the daikaiju or the damage caused by its rampage. Some of us had come up with new daikaiju; I'll be happy to contribute with Orcazoka and Mantiyoh, two aquatic-based daikaiju that we (at the TKT forums) had fun with in the past.

You spend too much time around NeoMonster Island, Prod. And I know, I'm a mod on their forums. :nonp:

But I like the idea of Metafauna. They can be deus ex machina unto themselves; your heroes may have to contain the daikaiju or the damage caused by its rampage. Some of us had come up with new daikaiju; I'll be happy to contribute with Orcazoka and Mantiyoh, two aquatic-based daikaiju that we (at the TKT forums) had fun with in the past.

wait, Proditor hangs out in other forums??? That...that...traitor!!!

Have I actually ever posted there??? :think:

Don't get me wrong, Shin's a dude. :D I've been a quiet fan ever since I "met" him on HC Realms a couple of years ago. I fairly religiously follow the web comic.

That said, have no fear that I submitted anything like that to DH. ;) Although I will admit to completely empathizing with Susano's statements regarding some modern Hong Kong Martial Arts films; "I wish I'd seen X before writing this..."

That was my immediate thought after seeing Final Wars.

And Enforcer, it actually took me a second to get that. ;) I'm going to blame the impending move for the lack of cognizance.

I'm watching this right now.

This movie is friggin' hilarious. Even if I have no idea what half the dialogue is. But hey, any film with Jesse "the Body" Venutra commanding a flying battleship can't be that bad!

This movie is friggin' hilarious. Even if I have no idea what half the dialogue is. But hey, any film with Jesse "the Body" Venutra commanding a flying battleship can't be that bad!

GFW is so close to my dream Champions campaign. :D

Sadly, my players would never put up with giant-monster based adventures as more than a one-shot.

Now I want to dig out my old King of Monster Island game.

GFW is so close to my dream Champions campaign. :D

Sadly, my players would never put up with giant-monster based adventures as more than a one-shot.

Now I want to dig out my old King of Monster Island game.

Just watched the motorcycle fight scene. This is like THE MATRIX... on crack!!! :nonp:

That's actually Don Frye, though he DOES resemble "The Body"....and has about the same acting range. UGH!

Rob

*Like* that; no - - though it certainly does sound like a fun campaign to me. I have used giant monsters in serveral of my Champions scenarios (a lifetime of watching the big G and Ultraman and such is bound to have an effect :) ), and they tend to go pretty well. Somehow, the PCs take it more in stride that they can't defeat a giant rampaging monster than a nutjob in a suit of hightech armor... :D

-Yogzilla

Well, it depends. As a film....no it's not really all that good. But as a fanboy homage, there's plenty to recommend. All depends on what you're looking for when you watch it. I'd rate it average overall myself, but then I'm a born movie critic. Hoever, even I found many moments to cheer in the film.

Rob

I've played a game not quite the same, but similar. But rather than having the PCs fight the giant monsters...each PC had the ability to turn into one instead. It was a space-traveling game, where they flew around to different planets and whatnot and encountered various monsters/NPCs and fought both in and out of monster form. It was actually kind of a cool game, especially when I put 'em in situations where transforming wasn't an option.

And as far as Final Wars goes...when is it supposed to come out? I've been literally foaming at the mouth(or is that glowing?) to see it since I heard about it. I wanna see the King kickin' the crap out of everyone! My favorite of 'em so far has been Godzilla vs. Biollante...but that might change once I see this movie. I hope it comes out soon!

I've played a game not quite the same' date=' but similar. But rather than having the PCs fight the giant monsters...each PC had the ability to turn [i']into[/i] one instead. It was a space-traveling game, where they flew around to different planets and whatnot and encountered various monsters/NPCs and fought both in and out of monster form. It was actually kind of a cool game, especially when I put 'em in situations where transforming wasn't an option.

And as far as Final Wars goes...when is it supposed to come out? I've been literally foaming at the mouth(or is that glowing?) to see it since I heard about it. I wanna see the King kickin' the crap out of everyone! My favorite of 'em so far has been Godzilla vs. Biollante...but that might change once I see this movie. I hope it comes out soon!

Sony has distributions rights for it. My guess is we'll see it on DVD sometime in the next 6-8 months or so...

Rob

Aww...not soon enough, then! I read some reviews about it, and it sounds about like what you'd expect from an everyone vs. Godzilla movie. I can't wait to see it.

And on that Kaiju game, I did remember one other thing from it. I'm a big fan of crossovers, and the bugs from ALIENS are perfect for crossing over into other types of games. Imagine some of those Alien eggs irradiated by some weird nuclear accident, so that they've grown gigantic in size. Now imagine one of those giant facehuggers latching on to, say, Godzilla(catching him with his guard down). Of course, Godzilla is likely to survive the chestburster, but that leaves at least one huge, super-powerful alien with some of the King's own powers running around. Then to make things worse, I had that "drone" Alien molt into a Queen Godzillaburster...'twas a fun battle indeed.

• 5 months later...

Okay yesterday in the mail was a Netflix enevolpe and in it was Godzilla Final War. I thank my lucky stars that Netflix's commercial aren't real otherwise you would of all heard of a small Iowan town being flattened by kaiju;) I throughly enjoyed this movie it was fun and and a great tribute for 50 years of big G. I also loved it when that giant tuna eater buy it. After seeing it, I would love to be a part of any campaign set in this universe.