Sky High as a Teen Champions prop

Michael Hopcroft

One of the cooler-looking previews I saw at batman begins was for Sky High, a comedy about the son of a superhero with no powers of his own who is packed off to a high school for supers.

Besides thinking someone has been reading PS 238, i was wondering how, given how old and well-used a trope that is in superheor gaming, people would use Sky High or something like it in their games. Its very existence implies that there are a lot of supers on Earth -- about 1% of homo sapiens -- something that would dramatically change everything about the world.

Re: Sky High as a Teen Champions prop

Its very existence implies that there are a lot of supers on Earth -- about 1% of homo sapiens -- something that would dramatically change everything about the world.

Someone is not only making one whopper of an assumption (that a single high school requires 20 million or so supers to exist in the world), they are also likely taking a movie a little too seriously.

It's Disney. Disney. As in Micky the Diseased Whoring Rat. I don't this movie stands a slugs chance in a salt mine of being enjoyable.

Two words: The Incredibles

I know everyone will say "That was Pixar," but it is proof that not everything Disney touches turns to crap.

I'm really looking forward to seeing more of the kid with superspeed.

Its very existence implies that there are a lot of supers on Earth -- about 1% of homo sapiens -- something that would dramatically change everything about the world.

Humm, average high school has what, a thousand students? Round up to 1200, or an average of 300 per year. That would be 6000 metahumans under 20. Assuming 2.2 children per family, that would be 2727 families. Round to 3000. Now do supers marry only supers, or do most supers marry civilians? Let's assume equal numbers, so that the 3000 famlies represent 4500 adult metahumans. Now my assumption, that metahumans have so many issues that only a third of them will ever have a relationship. That would be 13500 adult metas, plus their children. Would fit into a football stadium.

Even if those are only the "hero" orientation, and they are outnumbered by the villians, don't think the existence of a single magnet high school justifies presuming a population of 60 million.

Two words: The Incredibles

I know everyone will say "That was Pixar," but it is proof that not everything Disney touches turns to crap.

Properly speaking, it means that movies Disney *pays for*, but is not directly involved in, aren't crap.

That said, they've had some sporadic good luck with live-action films in the last few years (Pirates of the Caribbean).