LASD Superheros (ideas needed)

Dino

So I'm running a new campaign where the PC's are all Los Angeles county sheriff's deputies, and I need ideas. It's an original game world where superhumans have been around for sixty years. Vigilante (non-deputized) heroes are tolerated if they play nice, but there is no mechanism for "special sanction", and there is a metahuman registration act.

I have a large well organized team of villains (The Conclave) created who are trying to take over organized crime in the city, but I would also like to run unrelated plotlines featureing independant villians and street crime.

My games are roleplay heavy, and my players mature, so grity and dramatic story ideas are welcome.

PCs include:

ECLIPSE (mutant/mystic brick) strenght, toughness, and some magic projection powers and flight. Comes from a family of superheros and villains.

PRISM (mystic FEP) magical girl type all grown up. Has spirit advisor maquerading as a cat.

SINGULARITY (mutate density/gravitic manipulator) strong, tough, projects artifical singularities. Son of superspy, raised by now retired superhero.

CANTOR (altered human FEP) sonic manipulator. Classical singer/society person.

IRON HEART (martial artist) normal human. Master of mulitple arts. Married.

So, what kind of adventures would you run them through?

Re: LASD Superheros (ideas needed)

I don't see anything in the group's description that would not allow you to run any type of standard supervillain encounter for them. The only issue is that they are police and so must abide by the rules of the department and the various laws. If you don't already have it I'd suggest you get Villainy Amok. There are hundreds of plot ideas in that book to check out.

I have a large well organized team of villains (The Conclave) created who are trying to take over organized crime in the city' date=' but I would also like to run unrelated plotlines featureing independant villians and street crime.

I'm using a similar major plot line in the FTF game I'm running. I'm using the major plot thread as a means to introduce other minor threads, some obviously influenced, others not so much. Mind you, ours is a solo game, but hopefully the ideas may still be useful. In my game, The Conclave is instead called The Alliance. The leader is a mysterious figure known as Agenda and he is employing a number of supervillains and agents to aid in his plans.

Sub-Plot One:

Differing Yakuza clans are targeted as part of Agenda's plans for consolidation. The Yakuza employ a number of villains themselves and the clans individually war with each other to varying degrees. One clan's operation are hit numerous times consecutively in one week. The latest hit is foiled by the PC in his secret ID, who leaves hurriedly when limos full of well-dressed Japanese businessmen show up. Before he leaves, the PC just so happens to get his hands on a PDA from one of the goons that has a list on it of all the previous hits, this one and a new one - a warehouse downtown.

The PC cases the joint the next night and sneaks inside, only to be attacked by a number of ninja and the Yakuza villain Rakurai (The Lightning). Turns out they're here for the same reason as the PC, because they've learned this is the next hit - not so subtle surprise! Agenda's team of villains show up and the PC is forced to team up with Rakurai to fight them. When the smoke clears everyone gets away but there's unfinsihed business for all involved.

Sub-Plot Two:

A fight between the PC and The Alliance agents accidently injures a scientist with his own plant growth hormone formula. He sinks into a coma and later recovers in the hospital as Thorne - a revised version of the CU villain and much more powerful. Thorne blames all of humanity for his condition and a Major Campaign Villain is introduced.

Sub-Plot Three:

During Sub-Plot Two, the PC has been introduced to local hero team and even decides to join them as a provisional member. The hero team is also on Agenda's "to do list" and he hires the mercenary assassin The Warden (a cross between the Freedom City villain and Arcade from the X-Men) to capture and kill them. The team is missing one member when The Warden hits, but the PC is there that day. Automated trapping mechanisms designed to counteract each heroes powers count six heroes so six it is, but the trap meant for one hero has instead captures the PC, who's abilities are not countermanded by the trap. He escapes and one-by-one helps the other heroes free themselves. But wait, there's more - at the end, all the heroes find themselevs in a giant arena, sport for the Warden and Agenda. BIG FIGHT TIME - all heroes square off against all comers, including agents, deadly automatons and Alliance supervillains.

Sub-Plot Four:

Agenda gets the idea to black out the city - taking advantage of the chaos because he's prepared for it and hoping to weaken some of the oppostion. Its a crime spree and whether the PC's discover Agenda is behind it is up to the GM. The PC will encounter The Concrete Savages, a group of three low-level mutants who are trying to organize the city's street gangs (think The Warriors movie). The Concret Savages are from a Villains & Vigilantes supplement called Supercrooks and Criminals.

Hope those ideas help.

Best... Lee

I don't see anything in the group's description that would not allow you to run any type of standard supervillain encounter for them. The only issue is that they are police and so must abide by the rules of the department and the various laws. If you don't already have it I'd suggest you get Villainy Amok. There are hundreds of plot ideas in that book to check out.

While seconding Mitchell's advice, I would like to add that as members of the police/ Sheriff's Department, they'll probably be responding to crimes in progress as opposed to preventing. If any of your players are into skills, then having them follow clues to find out who did it could help. (An all-new science: Metahuman Forensics.)

You can also change standard themes. Instead of the Bank Robbery where the PCs are either in the bank to begin with in Secret ID or fly in bolts a blasting, they're called in because it's a stand-off and SWAT may not be able to handle all the supers involved.

Instead of always capturing the bad guys, the PCs are the guards until said villain gets to Stronghold.

While constables usually do this, the PCs could even be required to deliver subpeonas.

Since it's Los Angeles County, you can easily work in entertainment industry subplots.

1. A local TV station offers a bounty for videos of the Deputies in action, with the reward scaling up the more "exciting" the footage is. The player characters are plagued with bystanders filming their every move, and placing themselves in danger. Is it just a hideously awry publicity stunt, or is there a more sinister motive behind it?

2. A has-been former child actor decides that becoming a costumed hero is the way to restart his career. What's worse, every time he fails, he comes back with a new costume and gimmick. (And is a good target for any "i can give you superpowers" scam.) He's unlikely to turn villainous unless the player characters are truly horrid to him, but he's not a lot of help either.

3. The characters interrupt a robbery in progress, only to learn it's actually a movie being filmed. Or is it?

Thanks for the great ideas guys! I'm glad to hear that Villany Unbound is as useful a product as advertised, I'll have to pick up a copy when job situation stabilizes.

I'm mosty trying to figure out ways to spin the whole cop angle on traditional super crimes. I don't want the whole game to be a series of "you get a call to go here and arrest bad guys" stories (which I did in the first session). I like the prisoner transport idea. Guess I need to watch more Law and Order. :winkgrin:

Thanks for the great ideas guys! I'm glad to hear that Villany Unbound is as useful a product as advertised, I'll have to pick up a copy when job situation stabilizes.

I'm mosty trying to figure out ways to spin the whole cop angle on traditional super crimes. I don't want the whole game to be a series of "you get a call to go here and arrest bad guys" stories (which I did in the first session). I like the prisoner transport idea. Guess I need to watch more Law and Order. :winkgrin:

To play up the cop angle - and something seen before on Law & Order - is where the crook gets off on a technicality due to how evidence was seized or how the arrest was made. What if the PC's know the villain is a stone-cold killer but is released on a technicality? Particularly if the mistake was made by an overexurberant PC during the arrest. Will he/she feel guilty? Angry? An excellent chance to roleplay and maybe even an opportunity to teach a lesson to a PC or two that does break the rules, if that's ends up being the case.

What do they do then? Stalk the villain? Wait for him/her to slip up?

To play up the cop angle - and something seen before on Law & Order - is where the crook gets off on a technicality due to how evidence was seized or how the arrest was made. What if the PC's know the villain is a stone-cold killer but is released on a technicality? Particularly if the mistake was made by an overexurberant PC during the arrest. Will he/she feel guilty? Angry? An excellent chance to roleplay and maybe even an opportunity to teach a lesson to a PC or two that does break the rules, if that's ends up being the case.

What do they do then? Stalk the villain? Wait for him/her to slip up?

That's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Rep to you. :)

One of the most frustrating things about law enforcement to me was the gap between what you KNOW and what you can PROVE. It doesn't matter what you know unless you can prove it in court. This is a slightly different spin on Wolfjack's suggestion: what do the PCs do when they "know" that the villain is guilty, but they can't prove it? What happens if they overstep themselves, gather evidence illegally, and thereby become the reason the villain gets off? Or they act on what they "know" but it turns out they were wrong?

(BTW, unlike in movies & TV, the most common disciplinary action is NOT "give me your badge and gun," but is a couple days or weeks "on the bricks," ie - suspension without pay.)

Something cop movies/TV almost never show is the demands of juggling more than one case. This could be a fairly radical departure from most RPG campaigns, and only you can say if it would work with your players. But try giving your players multiple cases that overlap, so they have to decide which case to prioritize. (OTOH, that's starting to sound too much like RL!)

Speaking of which, in big departments there's normally not a lot of overlap between patrol offers who do the responding and detectives who do the investigating. But you can probably fudge that because the PCs are a special case.

Let's see... how about a PC gets sued for excessive force after using a killing attack rather than a normal attack?

If you really want to mess with your players, run the standard "cop falls in love with the victim/witness/suspect" subplot - and the relationship causes all their testimony to be thrown out of court. "Deputy Eclipse, isn't it true that you have a sexual relationship with the suspect?" "Well yes, but..." "Your Honor I move to dimiss..."

How do the other, non-superpowered cops feel about the PCs getting all the glory with their flashy powers while they (the regular cops) get shot at?

Don't forget that the Sherriff is an elected official who may have little or no actual law enforcement experience and may have his/her own political agenda.

Are your PCs' real identities known? Presumably at least the department knows? Then there's a very real risk that villains will seek to retaliate against the PCs DNPCs, something every cop dreads.

That's all off the top of my head. If you're interested, I used to have a short summary of the rules of evidence, probable cause, warrants, and so forth written in non-legaleese. I'll see if I can dig it up if you want?

bigdamnhero

"Failed TV shows don't usually get made into major studio pictures...We have done the impossible, and that makes us mighty." - Joss Whedon

"Serenity" premieres Sep 30th.

You're next on my list' date=' bigdamnhero. :thumbup:[/quote']

Okay... that does it. Off topic, but... WHAT THE HE Double-hockey sticks IS REP?

I see it on my screen. I see it on other people's screen. I've been given it, Hell, I've given it out. But what is it? Can I save it? Can I spend it? If I get enough, can I trade it in for a stuffed animal?

Bigdamnhero just got rep (whatever that is) from me as well. Brilliant ideas. I can see a squadroom wall with the open cases written on a whiteboard, like in "Homicide."

Now, this brings up another thought. What about the lawyers? I played a metahuman lawyer briefly in a PBeM (and most PBeM's end up being "briefly") who specialized in defending superheros and villain in their cases. There were some very interesting dillemas, such as defending a villain that you know committed a crime but needing to uphold the justice system regardless.

Anyhoo, bringing in the lawyers does create a real "Law and Order" scenario.

Lee

Okay... that does it. Off topic' date=' but... WHAT THE HE Double-hockey sticks IS REP?[/quote']

Reputation. The more "Rep" you have basically means the more compliments you've been paid.

I see it on my screen. I see it on other people's screen. I've been given it' date=' Hell, I've given it out. But what is it?[/quote']

Points that give you Rep power, so to speak. The more rep you have, the higher your Reputation is. So, for like me, with a 17 score (from 1448 Rep points given), when I give someone "Rep" it should add 17 points to their total.

Can I save it?

By default, yes.

Can I spend it?

No; however, you can give it. :think:

If I get enough' date=' can I trade it in for a stuffed animal?[/quote']

There are some people who are willing to do many things for rep, :nonp: but you'd have to go into the hazardous NGD Forum to find out if anyone would send you a stuffed animal for it. :)

You could have the villians set the PC's (staged bank robbery where a bystander gets injured by a PC) and of course the media is there.

or

You could have one of the PC's framed for a serious felony (murder, etc..). The local PD is trying to bring him/her in for questioning, but the PC & group are trying to prove his/her innocence.

If you check' date=' I just gave you rep. However, your Rep won't add to anyone else's until you get at least 1 point on your Rep Power.[/quote']

Wow! Thanks... complaining about Rep is a neat way to get Rep. I should whine more often. As far as going near the NGD area, hey, I may not know about Rep but I know enough to not go there. I get enough of that at work.

Oh... but I have no Rep so whenever I've given people Rep then its truly been a pathetic gesture, hasn't it? :idjit: Ah well...

Back to the previously unhijacked thread.

Back to the previously unhijacked thread.

But before we return, you just jumped up to Rep Power 2! Oh, and whining only works once. Okay, twice. :whistle: Posting sexy women pic helps (search for the Catsuit thread) if you want it quick and superficial (but really, who can tell?), but just providing good ideas can get you something now and then. And usually, you get rep on things where you don't even expect to receive it.

Thanks for the rep, all. And thanks for the explanation of rep. I wasn't entirely clear on the concept myself either. :stupid:

A few years back, I actually had my own consulting business, doing law enforcement and military consulting for writers. Didn't make a red cent at it, but it was all worth while because...I got REP out of it! :D

bigdamnhero

"Life. Don't talk to me about life."

Something cop movies/TV almost never show is the demands of juggling more than one case. This could be a fairly radical departure from most RPG campaigns' date=' and only you can say if it would work with your players. But try giving your players multiple cases that overlap, so they have to decide which case to prioritize. (OTOH, that's starting to sound too much like RL!) [/quote']

A worthy idea, but sounds like a lot of work for me! :)

Speaking of which, in big departments there's normally not a lot of overlap between patrol offers who do the responding and detectives who do the investigating. But you can probably fudge that because the PCs are a special case.

They are a special squad led by a Detective, and outside the normal departmental structure.

Don't forget that the Sherriff is an elected official who may have little or no actual law enforcement experience and may have his/her own political agenda.

I'm basing the sheriff on the real sheriff of Los Angeles county, so he's actually very experienced.

Are your PCs' real identities known? Presumably at least the department knows? Then there's a very real risk that villains will seek to retaliate against the PCs DNPCs, something every cop dreads.

The players already anticipated this in character and have asked the NPC detective in charge to adopt a costumed ID for dealing with the public (my players are clever monkeys).

That's all off the top of my head. If you're interested, I used to have a short summary of the rules of evidence, probable cause, warrants, and so forth written in non-legaleese. I'll see if I can dig it up if you want?

That would rock!

If you're interested' date=' I used to have a short summary of the rules of evidence, probable cause, warrants, and so forth written in non-legaleese. I'll see if I can dig it up if you want? [/quote'] That would rock!

Haven't been blowing you off, but I can't find my old notes. :stupid:

I'll keep digging...

bigdamnhero

"These aren't the droids you're looking for."