Heya, I'm new...

Hades_One

Okay boyos and gamer girls I have a few questions for you Hero System masters. I just bought Hero System FRed and Star Hero for my sci fi homebrew. I was going to use d20 Modern and d20 Future but I have been using d20 before it was released and got quite tired of it but I am having trouble locating the right material for my campaign. Well, at least material that won't cost me money. I just spent $80 and now my gamer funds are all gone till at least September.

I have some Fuzion material like Atomik Cybertek and Atomik Lifepath. They look compatible and would fit my campaign easily enough. I am just wondering if there is any other material you people can suggest.

It is a hard sci fi in a cyberpunkish/space exploration-exploitation setting if that helps any. Thanks for your time.

Guest Black Lotus

Re: Heya, I'm new...

Firstly, welcome to the forums!

Here's an off-the-top of my head list of sources for you:

-- Shadowrun

-- Cyberpunk2020

-- Alternity/ Dark Matter/ Star*Drive

-- Traveller

Well, that's a place to start. And as far as HERO goes, there's Cyberpunk HERO, as well as conversions of Cyberpunk2020 and Shadowrun to HERO. Question Man has them posted somewhere, search these boards for "HERO conversions."

EDIT: Yeah, the links are all kicking around somewhere in the Star HERO forum.

It is a hard sci fi in a cyberpunkish/space exploration-exploitation setting if that helps any. Thanks for your time.
If you need, i'm working about some CyberPunk 2020 conversion to Hero; is in italian but some "mechanical" work is in english, and using both active/real point cost and euro/humanity loss cost.

If you want to take a look, i'll post asap somewhere in the forum...

Welcome to the community, Hades One! (I hope Hades Two, Three and the later models are all doing well.) ;)

As my predecessors here have implied, there's a lot of material available on the Internet for science fiction gaming in HERO System, although not all of it is applicable to "hard" sci-fi. Probably the most suitable to that subgenre would be the considerable conversions from the Traveller RPG, which you could easily adapt to other settings; but there's lots more for you to sift through.

Your first stop should definitely be Star Hero Fandom, http://www.starherofandom.com/ . It's a website hosting a very diverse collection of quality fan creations, with links to even more.

The compilation thread by TheQuestionMan which Black Lotus mentioned can be found at http://herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24969 . It can take some effort to sift specific things out of it, but there's a ton of great info and examples to be found there.

For something more targetted, may I humbly suggest my own compilation of conversions from other RPGs to HERO System, located at http://herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23298 .

That should give you a good start. Please remember that you can always come back to these boards for any questions or advice. We're a pretty newbie-friendly bunch. :)

Nice. I have a similar race in my old DnD campaign but they are halfling size.

Oh, while I am at it I thought I should ask how do I submit material for consideration for publishing, either in a sourcebook or as a sumbission to Digital Hero. What material are they looking for and do they have a similar setup as WotC with OGL? Meaning could I self publsih as long as I don't use "key" or closed material?

I have loads of Sci fi and fantasy material that I would love to convert to Hero System and start a minor income in doing it. :D

If you look to the blue border at the left of this page, you'll see a link to "Policies." That will explain Hero Games's policies regarding websites, licenses, and submitting proposals for publication in a sourcebook or Digital Hero. It also includes a link to where you can download the official HG Writer's Guidelines.

For Digital Hero specifically, go to the DH link also to your left; that page will show you where to contact the editor of DH directly.

If you need, i'm working about some CyberPunk 2020 conversion to Hero; is in italian but some "mechanical" work is in english, and using both active/real point cost and euro/humanity loss cost.

If you want to take a look, i'll post asap somewhere in the forum...

I'm kind of curious to see what you've got, so far... I know you've been working on this pretty hard.

On the cyberpunk side, allow me to pitch KAZEI 5, the anime-influenced cyberpunk setting from HERO (it's a PDF, BTW). It is written for 4th Edition, but is easily translatable and/or up-datable.