Altered time perception

Ranxerox

I want to make a character that can alter his own perception of time. He can speed it up to fastforward through lifes boring parts, and slow it down to allow himself to catch every detail and give himself plenty of time to consider his own next move. Note: When he slows down time in his perception he doesn't move any faster than he normally can, he just has more subjective time to choose his actions and get maximun gain out of what he does.

I'm looking for suggestion on how to translate this ability into game terms. Thanks in advance for all ideas given. :)

Re: Altered time perception

It might be as simple as buying Resistance for fast fowarding past the unpleasant parts and a few levels for having "extra time" to consider each move...after all if you take extra time it gives you a bonus...just like levels do.....the rest can be special effects....you might even buy Damage reduction vs stun only 'cause you fast foward past the shock and pain of an injury....

I want to make a character that can alter his own perception of time. He can speed it up to fastforward through lifes boring parts, and slow it down to allow himself to catch every detail and give himself plenty of time to consider his own next move. Note: When he slows down time in his perception he doesn't move any faster than he normally can, he just has more subjective time to choose his actions and get maximun gain out of what he does.

I'm looking for suggestion on how to translate this ability into game terms. Thanks in advance for all ideas given. :)

No extra levels of SPEED? Hmmm. OKay....

Additional levels of Perception to reflect that he can spend extra time studying events as they happen in slow motion (to his perception, anyhow).

Some Overall Skill Levels to reflect his ability to "take extra time" while employing skills.

Speed Reading

Eidetic Memory

etc.

No extra levels of SPEED? Hmmm. OKay....

Additional levels of Perception to reflect that he can spend extra time studying events as they happen in slow motion (to his perception, anyhow).

Some Overall Skill Levels to reflect his ability to "take extra time" while employing skills.

Speed Reading

Eidetic Memory

etc.

Actually, I was planning on giving him extra levels of speed with the limitations cost endurance and can't be used for movement. I figure the slow motion quality will give him time to pick out extra targets and he can probably coax a few extra squeezes of the trigger out of his body.

However, I had forgotton speed reading and eidetic memory, and Pinecones reduction in stun by fast forwarding past the initial pain is clever too. So, posting the question has already paid dividends for me. Thank you.

Additional thoughts and ideas are warmly welcomed. :)

USPD has some good ideas for what you're looking for. For speeding up, you could also buy AID for DEX and SPEED (like a time bubble). For defense, points into DCV and then into a force field (Time Shift Field) where you advance time to age/decay whatever's coming at you. They have lots of others (including a cool time stop) for different effects also.

Thanks for the reply Kirby. Unfortunately I don't own USPD, though maybe I should get it.

The powers that you suggested sound like time altering power, however. The character that I'm working on has no control over time. He can just control his own personsal perception of it. He can speed up the firing and recovery of his mental neurons as to make make time seem slower relatively speaking, or he can slow down the rate of neuron fire to make time quicker by comparison.

Nice power idea, but have you ever thought about the power Change Environment: Make it Megascale and buy multiple combat effects get some personal immunity and stack up the characteristic, movement, and perception penalties for everyone other than your character remember to link it to a couple dice of spd Drain and your in business!!!

RPJ

I'd keep it subtle, like the overall levels idea.. but definately buy the Power Skill with it, so you can experiment as your imagination prompts you.

How about a high Sleight of Hand skill, which would represent both his ability to foil other sleight of hand users (sure, buddy, TRY to misdirect my attention!) and his ability to REALLY plan out small movements and observe his target to coincide with maximum distraction.

Cramming would work for this character, as would deduction, meditation, simulate death, and a host of reaction type skills (I.e. breakfall, combat driving, etc.).. His physical reactions aren't any faster, but he is (to the outside world) lightning fast in deciding on an appropriate action, and modifying that action in response to the actions of others. It's a cool idea for a power, definately! What confidence he'd have, with all the time in the world to decide on a course of action and internally debate what ramifications may come..

Maby a low level of danger sense to represent his ability to immediately spring into action when attacked (i.e. no suprise bonus for attackers in most situations), perhaps a Combat Manuever would be appropriate.

Heck, I could see this guy with a high level of martial arts, as well. They say that if you just lightly touching an incoming punch robs the punch of much of it's power.. He could combine punches and blocks and dodges like Jackie Chan and Jet Lee rolled into one, with a little practice.

Please post a writeup when you're done!

-CraterMaker

Hmm, I'm not sure I know what you're looking for now. What are you looking for from a game mechanics & roleplaying perspective? If you don't want powers that go with it that the rest of the game world sees, that makes it a bit more difficult. My rereading and thinking have come to this idea: you seem to be wanting extra time for decision making, and less time for the boring parts. Is that correct? If so, then maybe buy levels with INT/PER with a limitation 'can take no other actions' and then perhaps buy Extra dimensional movement 'forward in time' with an advantage that you can 'view' the time travel.

What I'm thinking is that you want a solution for the following two scenarios:

1. The GM says you have a few seconds to dismantle a bomb/ the villain says you have until the count of three until he [commits horrible crime]/ the GM surprises you with 'quick, what are you doing?' FOR ALL OF THESE YOU WANT EXTRA TIME.
  2. The 'big action' is going to happen days [or extended time] later and the GM asks what you'll be doing in the meanwhile; instead of doing something, you want to fast forward to the 'big action.' FOR THIS YOU WANT LESS TIME.

IF this is correct, then I'd suggest X-D move for both, one sfx is effectively a Time Stop (maybe a crawl) and the other is Time Travel, but with a possible advantage that you can 'see' what is happening between point A & B, so that you can resume 'normal' time should something come up.

Is this close? If not, my suggestion is to let us know more detailed game mechanics (from GM & Player perspective, not PC) you are wanting to produce and let us go from there.

Nice power idea' date=' but have you ever thought about the power [b']Change Environment[/b]: Make it Megascale and buy multiple combat effects get some personal immunity and stack up the characteristic, movement, and perception penalties for everyone other than your character remember to link it to a couple dice of spd Drain and your in business!!!

RPJ

That is VERY funny. My GM would have to be on drugs to let me get away with it, but it is still very funny.

I'd keep it subtle, like the overall levels idea.. but definately buy the Power Skill with it, so you can experiment as your imagination prompts you.

How about a high Sleight of Hand skill, which would represent both his ability to foil other sleight of hand users (sure, buddy, TRY to misdirect my attention!) and his ability to REALLY plan out small movements and observe his target to coincide with maximum distraction.

Cramming would work for this character, as would deduction, meditation, simulate death, and a host of reaction type skills (I.e. breakfall, combat driving, etc.).. His physical reactions aren't any faster, but he is (to the outside world) lightning fast in deciding on an appropriate action, and modifying that action in response to the actions of others. It's a cool idea for a power, definately! What confidence he'd have, with all the time in the world to decide on a course of action and internally debate what ramifications may come..

Maby a low level of danger sense to represent his ability to immediately spring into action when attacked (i.e. no suprise bonus for attackers in most situations), perhaps a Combat Manuever would be appropriate.

Heck, I could see this guy with a high level of martial arts, as well. They say that if you just lightly touching an incoming punch robs the punch of much of it's power.. He could combine punches and blocks and dodges like Jackie Chan and Jet Lee rolled into one, with a little practice.

Please post a writeup when you're done!

-CraterMaker

Boy, there are a ton of great idea here! Unfortunately, I turned in my character to my GM earlier today. Since, I only had 250 pts to work with I don't think I could have made a character near as cool as the one you described even if I had seen you post in time. Still, you have just claimed my next hundred or so experience points with you ideas. :D

Is that correct? If so, then maybe buy levels with INT/PER with a limitation 'can take no other actions' and then perhaps buy Extra dimensional movement 'forward in time' with an advantage that you can 'view' the time travel.

Is this close? If not, my suggestion is to let us know more detailed game mechanics (from GM & Player perspective, not PC) you are wanting to produce and let us go from there.

Actually, Cratermaker pretty much nailed the character (or a more idealized version thereof) that I was going for. However, the power that you just described is a cool one, and if I'm ever making a Timelord style character, I will certainly use it.

Thank you. :)