Desolidification Invisible To Touch

Steve

Would this advantage be one way that you could do a type of limited invulnerability? Consider this power construct:

Desolidification, Invisible to Touch (+1/4), Costs END only to activate (+1/4), Cannot Pass Through Objects (-1/2). 60 Active and 40 Real.

Plus

Affects Normal World (+2) on 10 STR. 20 Active and Real Points.

The 10 STR is merely to show that the character can still pick up objects and affect the world normally, but they can't be hurt, even though an opponent could still reach out and touch them.

Y'know, somehow something looks wrong with that construction, but darned if I can put my finger on what it is. It's like it shouldn't work, but it does.

I'd imagine that's similar to the construction someone like Mr. Fantastic would use when he goes really flexible and can ooze under doors ... hmm, maybe that's it, with that construction, he could technically squeeze through small openings.

Actually, I've used a very similar construction several times when making NPCs and characters that are "invulnerable." I buy "invisible to sight" as well, though -- I've always assumed that the base Desolidification power also has a visible component...

I'm not sure I understand why you need "invisible to sight" to be invulnerable.

As far as "invisible to touch" I'm not sure why you need that either unless you're using it to circumvent defining something specific that the desolid state is still vulnerable to, and even in that case I wouldn't think it makes sense.

You would only need invisible to sight if you did not want an obvious visual effect to your desolid. In other words you would still look normal when you were invulnerable.

Invisible to touch on the power means that when people touch you while desolid they will feel you there and not simply pass through you.

I thought you could buy desolid with the special effect that you weren't really desolid, but you were just immune to a particular thing. Because of this special effect, the thing you are immune to wouldn't pass through you, but would simply bounce off.

I'm not sure why you would have to pay for 'invisible to touch' just to accomplish this. It shouldn't cost you /more/ points to make the power more realistic (especially when, in this case, it actually limits the power a bit).

The same would go for 'invisible to sight'. You're buying a modifier that actually makes the power /less/ useful overall, purely to make it look or feel more like the power you imagined.

Just define it as a special effect and have done. Desolid is expensive enough as it is.

I won't go into the dangers of a GM allowing a broadly defined invulnerability power into a campaign, as I'm sure everyone here is well aware of them. :)

Originally posted by jtelson

Invisible to touch on the power means that when people touch you while desolid they will feel you there and not simply pass through you.

Well, as has been stated elsewhere, one desolid character versus another should be SFX-based and IMHO not dealt with "Invisible to touch". If you really want to say "my desolid beats your desolid" in rules term I'd say Hardened would make more sense.

Originally posted by zornwil

Well, as has been stated elsewhere, one desolid character versus another should be SFX-based and IMHO not dealt with "Invisible to touch". If you really want to say "my desolid beats your desolid" in rules term I'd say Hardened would make more sense.

PS - additionally, "Invisible to touch" should NEVER grant invulnerability for one desol vs another, that makes no sense. Otherwise you're saying that invisible to touch = desolid, and that defeats a core tenant of the rules of not buying something when a power for it already exists.

I don't think that's what he meant. Invisibility to Touch is bought on the Power or Desolid - meaning that you can't tell the person is desolid by touching him, he still feels solid.

However, this doesn't mean they can't still pass through you. They'll just be able to feel you on the way through, which can be kind of icky.

OTOH, "Cannot pass through solid objects" should cover that part, so you're fine.

Of course, any power bought with +1/2 Affects Desolid still affects you. As does any power with the defined SFX that you specified when you bought the power, of course.