Best way to do this....

Black Rose

I have a Disad (or possibly a Lim on all powers, I dunno) I'm working on, and I wonder how best to represent it. Here goes....

Whenever any one of three factors (temperature, light level, humidity/water level) is different from the preferred state (cool, dim, wet) there is a penalty (either the affected abilities are reduced slightly, or it's harder to use them, or the END cost is higher). If two are different, the penalty is greater; if all three are different, all affected abilities are greatly reduced (at least 50%). So if it's a sunny summer day with little to no humidity, the character is screwed; if it's humid it's not so bad, and once the sun goes down it's better still. Snowy (or foggy) winter nights are best, though.

Thoughts?

Re: Best way to do this....

The simplest way to do this would be to use a partially-limited power, I'm thinking.

So example, buy the base power (xd6), then buy another xd6 with "Only if cool, dim or wet, (-1/4)", then another xd6 with "Only if two of cool, dim or wet, (-1/2)" and finally another xd6 with "Only if cool, dim and wet, (-1)"

If you want to be able to overcome the limitation with extra END then change each of those conditions to variable limit, so that you can choose to carry the extra points with increasingly high endurance costs, instead.

cheers, Mark

The simplest way to do this would be to use a partially-limited power, I'm thinking.

So example, buy the base power (xd6), then buy another xd6 with "Only if cool, dim or wet, (-1/4)", then another xd6 with "Only if two of cool, dim or wet, (-1/2)" and finally another xd6 with "Only if cool, dim and wet, (-1)"

If you want to be able to overcome the limitation with extra END then change each of those conditions to variable limit, so that you can choose to carry the extra points with increasingly high endurance costs, instead.

cheers, Mark

Good advice - I was wondering whether the END could be done by purchasing various parts of the base power with variable limitations. The first part (say 4D6) could be bought at multiple END (maybe times 2?) (only when hot, dry and bright) and then three other portions (three extra 2D6) could be bought with 0 END (not when hot/dry/bright respectively).

That would mean that in ideal conditions the only END would be on a 4D6 of the base power (2 END), in dry conditions one portion would also kick in (3 END), in dry & hot conditions a second portion kicks in (4 END) and when it is hot, dry and bright you get END on the whole base power (5 END) and extra END on the rump of the base power (7 END).

The whole thing becomes very complex in construction but you get a power where, in cold wet and dim conditions you can throw 16D6 (for example) at a cost of 2 END but in hot, dry and bright conditions you'd be limited to 10D6 at 7 END with a whole variety of ENDs and D6 damage in between....

Doc

Is this for a 'Yin'-type character?

The Dependance Disad could work for part of it. It would give the Powers an Activation roll, and eventually short them out, if the conditions weren't met:

Yin Powers: Dependance (character must be in a cool, dark, wet environment, or the Yin Powers become eratic and eventually short out within 1 Minute; 14- Activation Roll for Yin Powers)(Common): 30 Character Points

A creative Physical Limitation Disad might do the trick:

Yin Powered Being: - character must be in a cool, dark, wet environmet for Yin Powers to work at full. If only two conditions are met, all Yin Powers cost double END. If only one condition is met, all Yin Powers can only be used at 2/3's their Active Point effectiveness. If none of the conditions are met, Yin Powers don't work. (Frequently, Greatly Impairing): 15 Character Points.

Building the Powers with Limitations, and then conditionally buying off the Limitations, is probably the best way to do this:

Yin Blast: EB 8d6, (40 active points); Limited Power (Only in cool, dark, wet locations; -2). total cost: 13 points. plus bought off Limited Power Limitation for 8d6 EB (27 active points); Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), Limited Power (only if 1 of the conditions of coolness, darkness, or wetness are met; -1/4). total cost: 15 points. Total Cost: 28 Character Points.

Yin Blast Boost: +4d6 EB, (20 active points); Limited Power (Only in cool, dark, wet locations; -2). total cost: 7 points. plus bought off Limited Power Limitation for +4d6 EB (17 active points); Increased Endurance Cost (x2 END; -1/2); Limited bought off Limitation (only if 2 of the conditions of coolness, darkness, or wetness are met; -1). total cost: 7 points. Total Cost: 14 Character Points.

All together...42 character points.

The way this is build... if all of the conditions are met, you have a simple 12d6 EB. If only two of the conditions are met, you have an 8d6 EB + 4d6 (x2 END). If only one of the conditions are met, you have an 8d6 EB (Activation Roll 14-). If none of the conditions are met, you have nothing.

If someone could please check to make sure this is legal, that would be nice. I'm pretty sure I did this right, but the exact wording of the "bought off Limitation" part might be different.

Cheers.

I have a Disad (or possibly a Lim on all powers, I dunno) I'm working on, and I wonder how best to represent it. Here goes....

Whenever any one of three factors (temperature, light level, humidity/water level) is different from the preferred state (cool, dim, wet) there is a penalty (either the affected abilities are reduced slightly, or it's harder to use them, or the END cost is higher). If two are different, the penalty is greater; if all three are different, all affected abilities are greatly reduced (at least 50%). So if it's a sunny summer day with little to no humidity, the character is screwed; if it's humid it's not so bad, and once the sun goes down it's better still. Snowy (or foggy) winter nights are best, though.

Thoughts?

Rather than limitations like "only if cool or dim or wet", "only 2 out of 3", "only if cool, dim and wet", why not buy the regular power (say 6d6 EB), then buy three sets of enhancements, such as +2d6 only if temperature cool; +2d6 only if light dim; +2d6 only if wet. You could break this down finer by purchasing half dice at various conditions better approximating the ideal.