Vehicle Search

JmOz

Guest Black Lotus

Re: Vehicle Search

I don't remember seeing a tow truck anywhere. I'd just use the write up for a regular truck but give it +5 strength' date=' some flashing lights, and 2" stretching to represent the winch.[/quote']

Good call, I was staring at this topic (which I read last night) and remembered that starship "tugs" basically just have more STR. So yeah, add more STR (horsepower) and do what MitchellS said.

This is what I came up with. A few notes:

This thing has been modifed for use as a super vehicle (armor plating, better handling, etc...)

I will probably be adding some disads to it

This is something the player wants to work up for...

House Rules: Change Enviroment can be used for positive effects (and is the advisable way to make light)

Vehicle Name: Brickface's Truck

Additional Info:

Owners Name: Brickface

CHARACTERISTICS

Val Char Base Points Total Roll Notes

5 SIZE 0 25 5 Length 3.17", Width 1.59", Area 5.04" Mass 3.2 ton KB -5

45 STR 35 10 45 18- HTH Damage 9d6 END [4]

15 DEX 10 15 15 12- OCV 5 DCV 2

3 SPD 2.5 5 3 Phases: 4, 8, 12

15 DEF 2 39 15

15 BODY 15 0 15 12-

6" Ground Movement 6 0 25"

0" Water Movement 2 -2 0"

0" Leaping 0 0 0" 92 Total Characteristics Points

CHARACTER IMAGE

EXPERIENCE POINTS

Total earned: 0

Spent: 0

Unspent: 0

Base Points: 200

Disad Points: 0

Total Points: 127

MOVEMENT

Type Total

Run (6) 25"

Swim (2) 0"

H. Leap (0") 0"

V. Leap (0") 0"

COMBAT INFORMATION

OCV: 5 DCV: 2

SKILLS

Cost Name

6 +3 with Movement

6 Total Skills Cost

PERKS

Cost Name

3 Anonymity

3 Total Perks Cost

POWERS

Cost Power END

12 Ground Movement +19" (25" total), x4 Noncombat; OIF Bulky (-1), Only On Appropriate Terrain (-1/4)

5 HRRP (Radio Group); OIF Bulky (-1), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense Hearing (-1/4) 0

4 Stretching 2", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OAF Bulky (-1 1/2), Cannot Do Damage (-1/2), Requires Outside Operator (-1/2), Always Direct (-1/4) 0

5 Change Environment 1" radius, +4 to Normal Sight Rolls, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OAF Bulky (-1 1/2), No Range (-1/2) 0

26 Total Powers Cost

This is what I came up with. A few notes:

This thing has been modifed for use as a super vehicle (armor plating, better handling, etc...)

I will probably be adding some disads to it

This is something the player wants to work up for...

House Rules: Change Enviroment can be used for positive effects (and is the advisable way to make light)

Vehicle Name: Brickface's Truck

Additional Info:

Owners Name: Brickface

CHARACTERISTICS

Val Char Base Points Total Roll Notes

5 SIZE 0 25 5 Length 3.17", Width 1.59", Area 5.04" Mass 3.2 ton KB -5

45 STR 35 10 45 18- HTH Damage 9d6 END [4]

15 DEX 10 15 15 12- OCV 5 DCV 2

3 SPD 2.5 5 3 Phases: 4, 8, 12

15 DEF 2 39 15

15 BODY 15 0 15 12-

6" Ground Movement 6 0 25"

0" Water Movement 2 -2 0"

0" Leaping 0 0 0" 92 Total Characteristics Points

CHARACTER IMAGE

EXPERIENCE POINTS

Total earned: 0

Spent: 0

Unspent: 0

Base Points: 200

Disad Points: 0

Total Points: 127

MOVEMENT

Type Total

Run (6) 25"

Swim (2) 0"

H. Leap (0") 0"

V. Leap (0") 0"

COMBAT INFORMATION

OCV: 5 DCV: 2

SKILLS

Cost Name

6 +3 with Movement

6 Total Skills Cost

PERKS

Cost Name

3 Anonymity

3 Total Perks Cost

POWERS

Cost Power END

12 Ground Movement +19" (25" total), x4 Noncombat; OIF Bulky (-1), Only On Appropriate Terrain (-1/4)

5 HRRP (Radio Group); OIF Bulky (-1), Sense Affected As More Than One Sense Hearing (-1/4) 0

4 Stretching 2", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OAF Bulky (-1 1/2), Cannot Do Damage (-1/2), Requires Outside Operator (-1/2), Always Direct (-1/4) 0

5 Change Environment 1" radius, +4 to Normal Sight Rolls, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2); OAF Bulky (-1 1/2), No Range (-1/2) 0

26 Total Powers Cost

I think the flashing lights need to be purchased as images. :)

Of course I wouldn't buy them myself. They don't add anything to the vehicle outside of letting people know you have flashing lights. I personally would just consider that to be a physical disadvantage: Tow Truck. You see the lights, you see the towing equipment, you know it's a tow truck. :)

I think the flashing lights need to be purchased as images. :)

Of course I wouldn't buy them myself. They don't add anything to the vehicle outside of letting people know you have flashing lights. I personally would just consider that to be a physical disadvantage: Tow Truck. You see the lights, you see the towing equipment, you know it's a tow truck. :)

Yes, they need to be images. And they do add something to the vehicle, they increase awareness of its stopped location in normally moving traffic areas and thus prevent collusions- i.e. the reason they have them in real life.

And no, they aren't a DF disadvantage unless being a tow truck is somehow worse than being any other vehicle. You don't get DF: Blue Van. Just looking odd isn't a DF, it must cause problems of some significant type.

The lights are a house rule issue' date=' CE can be used for positive effects and is advisable to make lights with (As a house rule)[/quote']

Just as long as it is stated that this is not a legal construction by the official rules.

Just as long as it is stated that this is not a legal construction by the official rules.

Yup, I know the official rule, disagree with it for a couple of boring reasons involving logical application of powers, and design elements (It is part of my basic Idea of power mandates, if a power can not make it's mandatet then it should be redesigned, if it exceeds it's mandate it should be toned down)

The fact that it is a house rule is why I mentioned it both in the truck right up and in it's own post

Yes, they need to be images. And they do add something to the vehicle, they increase awareness of its stopped location in normally moving traffic areas and thus prevent collusions- i.e. the reason they have them in real life.

And no, they aren't a DF disadvantage unless being a tow truck is somehow worse than being any other vehicle. You don't get DF: Blue Van. Just looking odd isn't a DF, it must cause problems of some significant type.

Distinctive Feature: Flashing Lights [easily concealable [can be turned off], always noticed and major reaction [people slow down expecting a towed vehicle/accident]. 10 point disadvantage.

I don't believe in paying points for special effects that hinder [you can't easily disguise a tow truck] as much as help.

Distinctive Feature: Flashing Lights [easily concealable [can be turned off]' date=' always noticed and major reaction [people slow down expecting a towed vehicle/accident']. 10 point disadvantage.

I don't believe in paying points for special effects that hinder [you can't easily disguise a tow truck] as much as help.

I agree. I wouldn't buy them as images for a couple of reasons. 1) Too much granularity. If a PC in my game grabs a flashlight at the hardware store for like 10 minutes, I don't write it up, I know what a flashlight does already. 2) The flashing lights in and of themselves might help you to see the truck, but they can also be pretty bright at night effectively cancelling out any positive benefits as they make you less aware of the REST of the road.

just my 2 pence.

The reason Flashy Lights would be a DF is because the average vehicle doesn't have them, certain verhicles do have them.

And if the vehicle isn't supposed to have them you'll get pulled over, you'll get pulled over for misusing them, and a lot of the times you'll just get angry drivers not paying attention specifically because of them (I live near a firehouse, and am completely convinced the only reason ppl get out of the way of the firetruck is because it's BIGGER than them, not because of the flashy lights.)

I'd write up a tow trucks lights as a DF, or I'd just hand wave it. It's flashy lights really. Nothing major.

The reason Flashy Lights would be a DF is because the average vehicle doesn't have them' date=' certain verhicles do have them..[/quote']

People seem to think that anything abnormal works, but according to the book it takes more than a simply 'odd' appearence to justify DF.

A police car works because it allows the bad guys to know the location of their potential foe. A tow truck doesn't because no one (good or bad) gives them a second glance on the road except under abnormal conditions.

Unless the character in question typically to be disguised (a tow truck is a rather good disquise itself in many cases), it's not a disadvantage. A tow truck by itself has no reason to disguise itself and every reason not to.

Avoiding collusions or being ran over on the road is is certainly a common advantage. The cost is cheap, pay for it.

People seem to think that anything abnormal works' date=' but according to the book it takes more than a simply 'odd' appearence to justify DF.[/quote']

We won't take this thread into your abstract and incorrect DF notions. We've already had the "red hair" discussion.

I think a slight DF would be legetimit, but the lights should be paid fo as well. the thing is the fact that it makes it easier to find (On the highway if the cops were following you it would be easier for the coptor to find them)