Tmnt

Guest voodoo54

Guest voodoo54

I'm thinking about running a Ninja Hero campaign based on the old Eastman and Laird black and white TMNT comics. Has anybody done this type of campaign before? Any info would be great, thanks.

Re: Tmnt

I've got a single character made that fits the vein (I made him for the old TMNT system but converted him over to Hero) ... I'd also recommend looking at Hidden Lands for a Beast-Man package to help build one :)

I have the Palladium game and have played once. The basic rule of thumb is that as an animal becomes more human it would loses its defining characteristics (size, strength, speed, etc) and gains intelligence, manual dexterity and so on. Even as a "perfect human" they would usually have some extra power over a normal person with only some small aspect of their original form. The RPG didn't necessarily focus on the ninja aspect so much as the mutant parts.

Guest voodoo54

Thanks for the info. I was thinking more along the lines of the actual campaign. Like what kind of unique adventures you could run with mutant creatures in a modern setting. I would want the characters to be able to fight local thugs and the Foot clan but I was wondering what else they could do.

Greg's comment is more evident in the After the Bomb TMNT sourcebooks--while I'm not crazy about Palladium's rules, the ideas in them are well worth exploring.

Which reminds me, I think I'll go grab one since they're at "Buy One Get One Free" status right now...

Thanks for the info. I was thinking more along the lines of the actual campaign. Like what kind of unique adventures you could run with mutant creatures in a modern setting. I would want the characters to be able to fight local thugs and the Foot clan but I was wondering what else they could do.

Besides fighting Thugs and Ninjas? Hmm .. how about alien adventures? Or battling a scientific organization that spawned them? Or a mad scientist? Or maybe some mages that believe the blood of the mutates would allow them to summon an elder god? Of course you could even throw random disasters at them (like a fire, or a gang war)

It also depends on how ...er, furry? you are willing to go. If you want the TUrtles to be unique, then mutant animals are quite rare. If you want them all over the place, then get ready for several new animal style martial arts or animal based ki abilities.

Also since you are going to be running a ninja campaign, there should be oodles of espionage, thrilling chases, cool locals, etc.

The TMNT TV show

Some inspiration could be found in both the old and the new TV-show. If you missed them, the old show was aimed to younger children (like my son), and the new show runs closer to the comic.

If I were to run a TMNT game I'd take inspiration from the old show if my game were to be played for the laughs. Otherwise I think the newer show has more "depth". Still, the old show had its highlights too.

Kevin Eastman says one of the reasons he and the Laird parted ways is that he (Eastman) wanted the comics dark where Laird liked the lighter/zany side of the series. Looking through some of the TMNT books I have it looks like they do pretty standard super hero stuff in most of the adventures as well as the graphic novel I have. Standard fair is crazy scientists and their crazy inventions (robotic mousers), dealing with street vigilantes (Casey Jones), various other mutants, and of course the Foot. If nothing else there's a TMNT Adventures! book that has 5 or so different missions in it. Though it specifically says any one of them could be used with a non-mutant super group as well so think along the lines of low-mid level supers adventures.

In a lot of ways, TMNT is very similar to the old Pulps ... just a bit refreshed in the modern eye. I do believe that Dark Champions is the book needed, but I'd almost look at the cliff notes in Dark Champions: The Animated Series as well :)

If this were my campaign I would probably run it like this:

• Campaing Guidelines: I would run it as a low-powered (150+100) superhero campaign.
  • Signature Weapon: Each character has some kind of attack (probably a weapon) that no other character are allowed to buy.
  • Appearance: Every character has the Disadvantage Distinctive Features: Mutant Animal (Concealable [with coat and fedora]; Causes Major Reaction) worth 15 points.
  • The Mentor: The players will probably have some kind of mentor (in the same vein as Splinter). The odds of the players having to fight their master ain't so great, so you don't have to bother to stat him. If you want to you could even be as lazy as to use the same character as The Shredder below (probably with some changes in Skills and Disadvantages). Another possibility could be to use Eagle-Eyes from the Genre By Genre document, and calling his super-powers chi-powers or animal senses.
  • The Villain: If you want to stay within the source, and have an evil martial arts villain, Green Dragon from the Champions book would be a good start. He could even be used as he is, directly from the book. I you'd prefered someone else (or you don't have the book), you could maybe use the Jade Phoenix from Millennium City instead.
  • The Foot Soldiers: I'll return with an example "ninja thug".
  • Street-Level Thugs: Use the Average Person NPC in the rule book, but add the power Brawling: +1d6 HA, Hand-To-Hand (-1/2), a WP in a street-level weapon (like knife) and a +1 HTH combat skill level. That should be enough. These thugs are commonly walk-over, but in groups they might provide a danger (at least if the heroes are separated, or unprepared).
  • Other Mutants: There shoudn't be too many, but a few could be added (even in a darker TMNT game).
  • Vigilantes: In the kiddified cartoon there were two "groups of vigilantes". The first group isn't really a group, it's just Casey Jones. The other group is a group of teenagers from another dimension, and they are maybe not violent enough to be considered vigilantes. Anyway, a brickish vigilante or two might be a great way to show case the players more stylish (and stealthy) fighting form.

The mentor should be a skilled DNPC if you are trying to get the feel of the original show or comic.

I wish I'd wrote that. ;)

Also' date=' TCRI as a company, should exist to give you the aliens and weird technology.[/quote']

Remember that TCRI weren't evil, they were just very focused. For some reason (I've forgot why), they were stuck on earth. During the TMNT story line they became closer and closer to finally get a chance to get home.

Remember that TCRI weren't evil, they were just very focused. For some reason (I've forgot why), they were stuck on earth. During the TMNT story line they became closer and closer to finally get a chance to get home.

Comic Summary that explains it:

http://www.ninjaturtles.com/comics/mirage/volume01/07/07.htm

You should know, I do have the offical graphic novels. Good stuff. Of course, one should forage around for old issues--there are great stuff, like the limited series "Tales of the TMNT." (I have the last issue--The Return of Savanti Romero, which picks up after the Cerebus story after a few years later.) There's oodles of classic Eastman/Laird material before their break-up--much of it was recycled for the new TMNT series, such as the Mouser storyarc and my favorite, the Triceraton storyarc (which gets expanded in the show.)

You would be remiss in not researching this stuff--they're good at doing a Dark Pulp world.

Guest voodoo54

Since I'm going to try to use this campaign as sort of an introductery campaign I'm thinking about using the actual turtles for the player characters. I like the campaign outline that fredrik gave so I'm going to use that. Basically I'm going to follow the story line of the original comics in that they will start out fighting the local toughs to gain some expierence. Then confront the lower level Foot ninja. The Foot will be their constant enemy throughout the campaign. They will eventually move up the chain to fight Shredder. Interspersed throughout the campaign they will fight different enemies like Baxter and his mousers. Also they will run into the TCRI (thanks Super Squirrel) from their they can pretty much go on any adventure I can think of. Of course if the players have ever read the comics that might not help in the suprise factor but thats not any different than reading other source material for other campaigns. Also the outcome will probably be alot different.

Guest voodoo54

You should know, I do have the offical graphic novels. Good stuff. Of course, one should forage around for old issues--there are great stuff, like the limited series "Tales of the TMNT." (I have the last issue--The Return of Savanti Romero, which picks up after the Cerebus story after a few years later.) There's oodles of classic Eastman/Laird material before their break-up--much of it was recycled for the new TMNT series, such as the Mouser storyarc and my favorite, the Triceraton storyarc (which gets expanded in the show.)

You would be remiss in not researching this stuff--they're good at doing a Dark Pulp world.

I went digging through my old collections(I just moved) and found the graphic novels.:)