Questions (Question board giving me errors)

Manchine

Before anyone asks I tried posting this over on the question board but I kept getting a Error. So I am posting it over here.

Sorry for the Newbie questions first off.

I did some practise runs of Fighting. Just doing Normal Damage, no Killing Damage.

1) Attacking 11 + Attackers's OCV - Defenders DCV. To hit or miss

2) I am suppose to add up all the forms of Defense.

A) This is anything that adds to PD or ED.

3) Subtract the character total defense from the Stun Damage.

A) 6d6 attack did 24 damage and your PD is 5. You would take 19 Stun Damage?

4) Subtract the character total defense from the Body Damage.

A) For the damage above I had rolled a 4's on the 6d6. I would do 1 Body damage?

5) Quick answer on Recovery.

Thaxs Again for Clearing all this up. The questions actually cleared up as I was typing them but I want to make sure.

Re: Questions (Question board giving me errors)

Looks like all the steps added up right for Normal Damage.

Here's a different calculation method for the two hit roll:

11 + OCV - DieRoll = DCV Hit. (you rolled a 9, your OCV is 6: 11+6-9= hit DCV of 8 or less.)

Not sure what you're wanting out of 5) there though.

The Questions board? Why get a single answer when you can get half a dozen slightly conflicting answers, AND start arguments on how the system works, at the same time!

:)

2) Yes. (mostly)

Barring appropriate disadvantages, or massive violations of common sense, all forms of defense stack. Base PD, the PD from Armor, and the PD from Force Field all add together for a total PD number. The same with ED.

You'll want to note how much of each is resistant, as well.

3) Yes. (Assuming the attack was physical)

4) Assuming you ment 'all 4's' and thus, 6 Body, that's correct. You'd subtract 5, leaving one body left the target would take.

5) Every time you 'take a recovery,' you get your Rec score back to your Stun and End. You get one free after every segment 12, and can take another in any phase you can act, as long as you don't do ANYTHING else that phase. This includs defensive actions Block or Dodge. (You don't have to shut off any powers you might have on, like force field, but you can't use them actively)

---

"I think I just had an evilgasm."

The Questions board? Why get a single answer when you can get half a dozen slightly conflicting answers, AND start arguments on how the system works, at the same time!

5) Every time you 'take a recovery,' you get your Rec score back to your Stun and End. You get one free after every segment 12, and can take another in any phase you can act, as long as you don't do ANYTHING else that phase. This includs defensive actions Block or Dodge. (You don't have to shut off any powers you might have on, like force field, but you can't use them actively)

---

"I think I just had an evilgasm."

Makes sense now why we can only post a new reply over there and only one person answers the questions over there.

For Question #5 How much do you get back?

By the way thaxs for the answers.

That 'one person', by the way, is Steve Long. His name's also on the bottom of most of the game suplements, for some reason.

You think WotC is going to give you that kind of service? :)

Which is not to say that the rest of us feel any hesitation about arguing with him . . .

Anyway, for #5, you get back your REC in Stun and End. So if your Rec is 12, you get back 12 Stun and 12 End every time you take a recovery.

---

"Run! Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!"

That 'one person', by the way, is Steve Long. His name's also on the bottom of most of the game suplements, for some reason.

You think WotC is going to give you that kind of service? :)

Which is not to say that the rest of us feel any hesitation about arguing with him . . .

Anyway, for #5, you get back your REC in Stun and End. So if your Rec is 12, you get back 12 Stun and 12 End every time you take a recovery.

---

"Run! Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!"

No you dont get that kinda of service. WOW! Is he the guy that just made the rules or did he create it or what?

As for the Rules question ahhhh now I understand. I am going to be running my first campaign her tomarrow. Making up character and running them through the first parts of the campaign. I have a nice small little fight all ready for them. To get them use to the combat.

He's the current Head Developer, or whatever RPG companies call it. (Cat Herder? Tyranical Overlord?) There's a mini-history of the game in the back of the big core book if you're interested in that type of thing.

And don't hesitate at all about asking 'newbie' questions here. Everyone's always happy to see new Hero players and GMs appear. You'll get more frendly advice than you'll know what to do with.

Just don't bring up tanks. Trust me on this one. :)

---

"I'll make it move WITH MY MIND!!"

Just don't bring up tanks. Trust me on this one. :)

---

"I'll make it move WITH MY MIND!!"

If you say dont bring it up then that makes me want to know.

I AM SO CONFUSED! :D :D :D

Its like curoristy and the cat.

That's the spirit! Welcome aboard! :D

Say, if you have a spare moment, pop in at the NGD Forum! But please don't feed the Mightybec.

... and bring that boomstick with you, ya might need it. :D

Oh, and welcome to HERO. :thumbup:

That's the spirit! Welcome aboard! :D

Say, if you have a spare moment, pop in at the NGD Forum! But please don't feed the Mightybec.

Yeah, and you might not want to turn your back on him, either, if you know what I mean. ;)

Manchine, you (and your players) might find the thread below to be helpful. It contains a couple of detailed narrative examples of HERO combat, one for a heroic-level (fantasy) setting, the other for a superheroic one:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3210

BTW Steven S. Long is the Line Developer for Hero Games, the one who makes the final creative decisions for the company. He's also the chief editor and principle staff game designer and writer (Allen Thomas and Darren Watts regularly share the writing chores, and HG does use freelancers from time to time.)

Steve didn't actually create the HERO System. That honor goes to George MacDonald and Steve Peterson, back in 1981, with the first edition of Champions. Mr. Long did write the current (Fifth) Edition rules, though, as well as the Revised rulebook, and a truly amazing number of other HERO books over the past few years.