New Power: Desolidification

schir1964

Desolidification (Standard/Costs END) [Version 3]

A character with Desolidification can become intangible to SFXs, however, he is unable to interact with the environment physically.

Intangibility

Single Common SFX: 10 Points

All But Single Common SFX: 60 Points [stop Sign]

Modifiers

Advantages

Unrestricted Movement: Character has enhanced movement (+1/2 to +1)

Character can squeeze through small openings (+1/2).

Character can pass through solid objects while intangible (+1).

Natural Form: Character's natural form is intangible (+1/2 to +1)

Character may not become tangible at all (+1/2).

Character may spend END to become tangible (+1).

Real World Interaction: Character is able to interact with the real world (+1/4 to +2)

+1/4: Character may interact with the real world with a single Power in any fashion.

+1/2: Character may interact with the real world with STR in any fashion.

+1: Character may interact with the real world with a category of effect (Physical, Energy, Mental, etc...).

+2: Character is able to interact with the real world with STR and All Powers.

SFX Limitations: Commonality of SFX gants advantage to intangiblity.

+1/2: Single Very Common SFX.

+1/2: All But Single Uncommon SFX.

Limitations

Damage Limitations: Form is not fully intangible to attacks/damage.

-1/2: Doesn't prevent Stun damage.

-1/4: Doesn't prevent Knockback damage.

SFX Limitations: Commonality of SFX limits intangiblity.

-1/2: Single Uncommon SFX.

-1/2: All But Single Very Common SFX.

Restricted Perception: Character is restricted in perceiving the real world (-1/4 to -2)

-1/4: Character is unable to perceive the real world with the Hearing Sense Group.

-1/2: Character is unable to perceive the real world with the Sight Sense Group.

-1: Character may only perceive the real world with a single sense.

-2: Character is completely blind to the real world. However, this does not negate the ability of other characters to perceive the character.

Obviously, those who don't think there should be absolutes should reject this construct, but I put it out here for perusal.

Comments?

- Christopher Mullins

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: New Power: Desolidification

Very interesting. I like the concept and think it is an improvement, just a couple of quibbles with the costs.

The first being that "Desolidification, All but Single SFx, Can pass through solid objects, Character is unable to affect the real world with STR and Powers" has an Active cost of 200 and a real cost of 67-ish. This is the way I would build Desolidification as it is in 5ER (no book here, mind you) which normally costs 40. Costs change when rules change, and I can accept that, but this seems a larger change than it needs to be.

I'd make Group of Common worth the same as Single Very Common. That's supported by other rules (ex. Vulnerability). Also, I wouldn't ramp the costs up so quickly except for the last couple of steps. I'd still top out at 120 at the very least. At that level it is basically absolute invulnerability, which means much playtesting and a big ol Stop sign on it.

This set confuses me:

All But Group Of Common & Very Common SFX: 40 Points

All But Group Of Very Common SFX: 80 Points

All But Single SFX: 100 Points

Is that a '(Group of Common) & Very Common SFX', or a 'Group of (Common & Very Common)' SFX? Is a Single Very Common SFX worth the same as a Single Uncommon SFX? What about a Group of Uncommon?

I'm not sure about the -3 and -4 levels on the Restricted Interaction limitation. They seem like they would seldom be used (if ever), and lack of perception should be handled by another limitation in my opinion. (Again, I don't have my book here, so this might be a part of existing Desolid and I just don't know it.)

That's about it. Again, I like it. I think it's an improvement over the existing power, but I'd tinker with the costs.

Very interesting. I like the concept and think it is an improvement' date=' just a couple of quibbles with the costs.[/quote']

The costs are just what I pulled out of thin air, but seem appropriate. Feel free to take what I've got here and change the values as you want. Post it here for discussion. (8^D)

The first being that "Desolidification' date=' All but Single SFx, Can pass through solid objects, Character is unable to affect the real world with STR and Powers" has an Active cost of 200 and a real cost of 67-ish. This is the way I would build Desolidification as it is in 5ER (no book here, mind you) which normally costs 40. Costs change when rules change, and I can accept that, but this seems a larger change than it needs to be.[/quote']

Personal opinion, Desolid is way too cheap for the utility it provides. Feel free to change any values to better reflect what think they ought to be.

I'd make Group of Common worth the same as Single Very Common. That's supported by other rules (ex. Vulnerability). Also' date=' I wouldn't ramp the costs up so quickly except for the last couple of steps. I'd still top out at 120 at the very least. At that level it is basically absolute invulnerability, which means much playtesting and a big ol Stop sign on it.[/quote']

Looking forward to seeing your changes. (8^D)

Is that a '(Group of Common) & Very Common SFX'' date=' or a 'Group of (Common & Very Common)' SFX? Is a Single Very Common SFX worth the same as a Single Uncommon SFX? What about a Group of Uncommon?[/quote']

Two separate groups need to be defined. Might make sense if I explain how I did the progression.

Three types that require three separate distinct base costs:

Uncommon SFX

Common SFX

Very Common SFX

The costs doubles for each individually.

Probably makes more sense now. Now whether you agree or not .... (8^D)

I'm not sure about the -3 and -4 levels on the Restricted Interaction limitation. They seem like they would seldom be used (if ever)' date=' and lack of perception should be handled by another limitation in my opinion. (Again, I don't have my book here, so this might be a part of existing Desolid and I just don't know it.)[/quote']

Doesn't really make a difference how often a mechanic is used, it's there for those who need it. However, there is no way easily simulate, "I can no longer see the real world with my normal sight". You might be able to with a Character Disadvantage, but it's conditional based on Desolid, therefore, the reason they were included here.

That's about it. Again' date=' I like it. I think it's an improvement over the existing power, but I'd tinker with the costs.[/quote']

Thanks, that's why I posted it.

- Christopher Mullins

Here's the code to my post so you don't have to recreate it.

[NOPARSE]

Desolidification (Standard/Costs END) [Version 2]

A character with Desolidification can become intangible to SFXs, however, he is unable to interact with the environment physically.

Intangibility

Single Common SFX: 10 Points

All But Single Common SFX: 60 Points [stop Sign]

Modifiers

Advantages

Unrestricted Movement: Character can pass through solid objects while intangible (+1).

Natural Form: Character's natural form is intangible. Character must spend END to become tangible (+1).

Limitations

Damage Limitations: Intangibility is limited.

SFX Limitations: Commonality of SFX limits intangiblity.

-1/2: Single Uncommon SFX.

-1/2: All But Single Very Common SFX.

Restricted Perception: Character is restricted in perceiving the real world (-1/4 to -2)

-1/4: Character is unable to perceive the real world with the Hearing Sense Group.

-1/2: Character is unable to perceive the real world with the Sight Sense Group.

-2: Character is completely blind to the real world. However, this does not negate the ability of other characters to perceive the character.

Advantages

Real World Interaction: Character is able to interact with the real world (+1/4 to +2)

+1/4: Character may interact with the real world with a single Power in any fashion.

+1/2: Characte may interact with the real world with STR in any fashion.

+1: Character is may interact with the real world with a category of effect (Physical, Energy, Mental, etc...).

+2: Character is able to interact with the real world with STR and All Powers.

SFX Limitations: Commonality of SFX gants advantage to intangiblity.

+1/2: Single Very Common SFX.

+1/2: All But Single Uncommon SFX.

[/NOPARSE]

My initial reaction is ... hey! this could work.

So, I'm going with that. Seems reasonable to me. I have no idea if the costs are way out of whack, they look good to me offhand. I think playtesting will have to determine if they need to be readjsuted.

Interesting. I have some concerns with the cost vs. current version of the power but I don't hate where you are going at all. Differentiating the SFX and defining more precisely what is going on is a very worthy idea.

Repped.

I like this model since it gives the GM more control over how Desolid affects thier campaign.

If Mental Powers are Uncommon in the campaign, then it takes that category.

If Mental Powers are Very Common in the campaign, then it takes that category.

- Christopher Mullins

Oh yeah, this structure also eliminates the need for the Affects Desolid advantage. The Variable SFX advantage can be used instead.

- Christopher Mullins

Thats what I dont like. That means you now need to increase the value of the variable sfx advantage, as it helps you against those with vulnerabilities, suceptibilities, and eventually most desol attacks.

Keeps affects desol. The end costs on total desool is tremendous, so you have to figure buying 0 end will be a necessity as well. --instead, I would tweak the advantage/disadvantage amounts till you got costs equivalent to the current structure, but it is a fine approach.

However, how does draining these powers work--do you lose the desol all together? do you suddenly gain for groups you are affected by?

Thats what I dont like. That means you now need to increase the value of the variable sfx advantage' date=' as it helps you against those with vulnerabilities, suceptibilities, and eventually most desol attacks.[/quote']

I said it eliminates the "need" for Affects Desolid. You like Affects Desolid, then keep it.

I've always thought that Variable SFX was too expensive for the utility it provides, but that's just my opinion. So adding Desolid to it's utility is a benefit.

Keeps affects desol. The end costs on total desool is tremendous' date=' so you have to figure buying 0 end will be a necessity as well. --instead, I would tweak the advantage/disadvantage amounts till you got costs equivalent to the current structure, but it is a fine approach.[/quote']

Buying Zero END is not a necessity, see Natural Form.

The cost of the current structure is way too cheap for the utility it provides, but that's just my opinion. However, I've posted the code to my post, take it, modify it, and post it in this thread for further discussion. My method is just one way to handle this.

However' date=' how does draining these powers work--do you lose the desol all together? do you suddenly gain for groups you are affected by?[/quote']

Yes, it is possible to use Adjustment Powers on this power, but I would apply the same rule for SPD vs Adjustment Powers. You've got to drain a full increment to affect it.

The GM could handle this in two ways:

1) You have to reduce the entire Active Points in order to make the character Solid again.

2) As you reduce the Active Points, you push the Desolid Level down the chart, just as you built it up.

All But One SFX -> Group Of Very Common SFX -> Single Very Common SFX

I'm deliberately trying not to limit the GM's flexibility with this structure.

- Christopher Mullins

It seems well worthy of playtesting. But shouldn't the senses thing be based on "one non-targetting sense" and "one targetting sense"? And re perceiving with one sense, should that be a targetting one?

I can't tell if the pricing is too much or not.

As you know from elsewhere, I'm fond of going in the other direction of getting away from absolutes, but that doesn't mean a simialr construct couldn't/woudln't be used to devise a leveling effect per a basic dice or such.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems well worthy of playtesting. But shouldn't the senses thing be based on "one non-targetting sense" and "one targetting sense"? And re perceiving with one sense, should that be a targetting one?

I can't tell if the pricing is too much or not.

As you know from elsewhere, I'm fond of going in the other direction of getting away from absolutes, but that doesn't mean a simialr construct couldn't/woudln't be used to devise a leveling effect per a basic dice or such.

Well, the first two are based on Sense Groups, but I could change it to the following:

-1 May only perceive through one Targetting Sense.

-1 1/2 May only perceive through one Non-Targetting Sense.

- Christopher Mullins

As always, interesting stuff, Christopher. I have reservations though...

For 120 points you can have 0 END desolid against all sfx and pass through solid matter that lets you attack with strength at no extra cost. Let's say you have a strength of 60. 170 points.

At present it would cost 60 points for the desolid (and then it has vulnerabilities that are reasonably common) and 50+120 (affects real world advantage) for the strength or 210 points AND the strength would be costing 18 END to use per pop.

That's a big saving on the present system.

Whilst I like the systemisation I have balance issues.

I'd like to see desolidification set up so that it is no longer an absolute.

You can already mimic the effects of desolidification with some other powers. . . .

Tunneling (with the hole vanishing behind you) could be used to do the ability to move through solid objects.

And defense could be bought with the special effect that, rather than deflecting attacks, attacks instead just pass through the character (it might also have an "all or nothing" limitation on it, attacks pass through or else do full damage).

Oh yeah, this structure also eliminates the need for the Affects Desolid advantage. The Variable SFX advantage can be used instead.

- Christopher Mullins

Now that's just crazy talk.

Total invulnerability for 120 points with no way around it. Who needs defences any more? :eek:

I think the power should be written up as costing END and the player has to choose to buy Cost 0 END and buy it up to having Inherent instead of getting the "Natural Form" advantage.

That seems more reasonable and limiting, the characters desolid is now dependent on how much END they have. So you have The Fireman with "Immune to Mundane Flame" so he turns his power on just as he rushes into a burning building to save the trapped child, but couldn't take the heat for that long (unless he had enough END)

TB

As always' date=' interesting stuff, Christopher. I have reservations though...[/quote']

Of course you do. (8^D)

For 120 points...

Well, for one, no player of mine is going to be able to explain why thier character has this level, at least not to my satisfaction. (8^D)

Whilst I like the systemisation I have balance issues.

So, the cost should be increased, right?

- Christopher Mullins

I think the power should be written up as costing END and the player has to choose to buy Cost 0 END and buy it up to having Inherent instead of getting the "Natural Form" advantage.

Actually, it does cost endurance. Sorry if that wasn't clear. All the Natural form does is flip the default state of the character so they have to spend the END to become tangible.

So they do have to purchase Zero Endurance on it in the manner you are speaking.

That seems more reasonable and limiting, the characters desolid is now dependent on how much END they have. So you have The Fireman with "Immune to Mundane Flame" so he turns his power on just as he rushes into a burning building to save the trapped child, but couldn't take the heat for that long (unless he had enough END)

TB

Correct, that is how it works now.

- Christopher Mullins

Now that's just crazy talk.

Total invulnerability for 120 points with no way around it. Who needs defences any more? :eek:

I'm a wiiild and craaazy guy! (8^D)

Again, I only threw in the All SFX level for completeness sake. Remove it for discussions sake. Now all you have to do is increase the costs, right?

- Christopher Mullins

I think the cost balance issue is going to be a toughie to get around: at present anything effecting the real world whilst you are desolid costs 3x the points - except for limited sfx desolid: this helps to maintain balance at higher points levels whilst making it accessible at lower points levels, which no cost structure for the power is going to be able to manage.

Unless you can think of something cunning....

Desolidification (Standard/Costs END)

A character with Desolidification can become intangible to SFXs.

Intangibility

Single Uncommon SFX: 10 Points

Single Common SFX: 20 Points

Single Very Common SFX: 30 Points

Group Of Uncommon SFX: 20 Points

Group Of Common SFX: 40 Points

Group Of Very Common SFX: 60 Points

All But Group Of Common & Group Of Very Common SFX: 40 Points

All But Group Of Very Common SFX: 80 Points

All But Single SFX: 100 Points

All SFX: 120 Points

Modifiers

Advantages

Unrestricted Movement: Character can pass through solid objects (+1).

Natural Form: Character's natural form is intangible. Character must spend END to become tangible (+1).

Limitations

Restricted Interaction: Character is restricted in affecting the real world (-1/4 to -2)

-1/4: Character is unable to use STR to affect the real world in any fashion.

-1/2: Character is unable to affect the real world with a category of effect (Physical, Energy, Mental, etc...).

-1: Character is unable to affect the real world with any Power.

-2: Character is unable to affect the real world with STR and Powers.

I think it is a noble idea, and one worth toying with. However, there are some major issues that I'd like to raise:

First off, I like to stick away from the assumption that SFX can be classified and categorized. It may be true in some settings (or for some GMs) and not in others. Also, I don't like that distinctions cannot be made on the basis of mechanics. For example, "Mental Powers," has nothing at all to do with SFX; Mental Powers are a group of common mechanics. I can build two different Mental Powers with very, very different SFX. However, I don't really have a problem with, "Mental Powers," being defined as a kind of attack that can affect the character (subject to common and dramatic sense; Mental Powers Based On Con may or may not be applicable for a given build of Desolidification).

So in all I'd prefer it to simply be based on how common a particular, "type of attack," is. That would fit with the current restriction of Desolidification, and also with the definitions of things like Transform. Then there shouldn't be, "Groups;" it should just be a criteria about how common the kind of attack is (and, "Area of Effect Attacks or Mental Powers," might be considered more common that just, "Mental Powers," or, "Area of Effect Attacks," separately). Examples:

• Mental Powers Only
  • All But Mental Powers
  • Area of Effect Attacks and Mental Powers Only
  • HTH Attacks Only (why not?)
  • Fire Only
  • All But Poison

BTW, this means I still like the, "Affects Desolidified," Advantage. Remember that if the criteria is SFX-based (like my, "Fire Only," example above), Variable Special Effects could still provide a means to affect the character. It just wouldn't be the only means. Oh, and if the Desolidification is defined as the character existing wholy or partially in a, "different plane of existence," then it is very likely that a version of the Transdimensional Advantage could be used to affect them. This should all be taken into account by the GM when approving the criteria for affecting the character, and how common or uncommon it is.

Also, I'm not sure if I'd really want such variance in Base Cost. Maybe. I'm just not sure. I'd have to put quite a bit of thought into it. The difference being, of course, that Advantages will be significantly more costly if the Base Cost is higher, and significantly less costly if the Base Cost is very low. It might be better to just set a baseline for the Power and allow the type of excluded attack to be applied as either an Advantage or Limitation (or both if the baseline is set in the middle somewhere--like where the standard system sets it).

I also have an issue with such high Active Points. The reason is that Active Points are used to calculate End Cost, often compared to a maximum limit for campaign guidelines, and used to fit the power into a Framework. Therefore, jacking the Active Points through the roof may not be a great idea even if you do provide some big Limitations to offset it.

So once again I am thinking, "Change the baseline." Rather than making the default very high in terms of Active Points and providing large Limitations, make the default behavior of the Power more restrictive and allow Advantages to remove these restrictions. You basically did this already with the intangibility aspect. So we could do it also with the interaction restrictions: place it at the -2 level (or somewhere inbetween if you prefer), decrease the Base Cost, and make the decrease in interaction restrictions be an Advantage (and the increase in interaction restrictions a Limitation if you didn't place the baseline all the way at the -2 level).

The best choice, especially for the benefit of existing characters with Desolidification, would probably be to set the baseline at exactly the same point that the standard system has it, and allow your variations as Advantages and Limitations from there (and maybe Adders; see above).

First off' date=' I like to stick away from the [i']assumption[/i] that SFX can be classified and categorized.

Well, the system seems to try to do it with many of it's mechanics, but perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are talking about here.

Also' date=' I don't like that distinctions [i']cannot[/i] be made on the basis of mechanics.

Again, I may be misunderstanding you on this, but I think that having a mechanic affect another mechanic directly with no SFX leads to inconsistency and non-sensical application of the rules. But that's just my opinion.

For example: (and this may be bad one to use)

Adjustment Powers by default affect a mechanic with no SFX association. I've went at length in other threads why I think this not the best way to handle this. I'd rather not go through all that again.

For example' date=' "Mental Powers," has nothing [i']at all[/i] to do with SFX; Mental Powers are a group of common mechanics...

I can see we will disagree on this particular point. I suggest that all the mechanics are associated with a range of SFX indirectly. That is, each mechanic was created in order to allow the simulation of certain SFX seen in the source material, thus it was intended to be associated with those SFX, and the mechanics allow thoses SFX to have an measurable impact in the game. The whole reasoning from SFX is basically translating the SFX into mechanics that will have an impact in the game.

Therefore, it is obvious that "Mental" SFX are not directly associated with the Mental Power mechanics (btw: I think they have been misnamed), however, the Mental Power mechanics were created in order to allow simulation of most "Mental" SFX shown in the source material, and thus are indirectly associated.

Anyway, this is something we can disagree on without it hindering the search for a better mechanic for Desolid.

So in all I'd prefer it to simply be based on how common a particular' date=' "type of attack," is. That would fit with the current restriction of Desolidification, and also with the definitions of things like Transform. Then there shouldn't be, "Groups;" it should just be a criteria about how common the kind of attack is...[/quote']

Now this I can understand. I tend to like to build up, but in this particular instance perhaps it might be wise to go the other way. I'll see what I can figure out.

BTW' date=' this means I still like the, "Affects Desolidified," Advantage. Remember that if the criteria [i']is[/i] SFX-based (like my, "Fire Only," example above), Variable Special Effects could still provide a means to affect the character. It just wouldn't be the only means. Oh, and if the Desolidification is defined as the character existing wholy or partially in a, "different plane of existence," then it is very likely that a version of the Transdimensional Advantage could be used to affect them. This should all be taken into account by the GM when approving the criteria for affecting the character, and how common or uncommon it is.

Totally agree with this. As I said, it simple removes the "need" for Affects Desolified", but that doesn't mean you can't. I've also been looking at some alternatives that did suggest that Transdimensional would be appropriate, so I pleased to see I'm not the only one. (8^D)

Also' date=' I'm not sure if I'd really want such variance in Base Cost. Maybe. I'm just not sure. I'd have to put quite a bit of thought into it.[/quote']

This I can understand and will look into it to see if I can streamline it some. You and Sean have made some very good points.

I also have an issue with such high Active Points. The reason is that Active Points are used to calculate End Cost' date=' often compared to a maximum limit for campaign guidelines, and used to fit the power into a Framework. Therefore, jacking the Active Points through the roof may not be a great idea even if you [i']do[/i] provide some big Limitations to offset it.

Hmmm... interesting... not sure what to make of this.

You seem to be implying that Active Points are used for some type of balancing, which would mean that you think any powers that come in under the maximum limit of a campaign are automatically balanced within that limit. Which leads to the supposition that you think that Desolid at 40 Points is balanced with other powers at the same level, yet somehow, I really don't believe you think that.

Balance is something the GM must determine based on the build itself inspite of the Active Points. That's just my opinion.

So once again I am thinking' date=' "Change the baseline." Rather than making the default very high in terms of Active Points and providing large Limitations, make the default behavior of the Power more restrictive and allow Advantages to remove these restrictions...[/quote']

I'll look into this and see what I can do.

You've given me some good ideas. Thanks. I'll update the main post when I get something I think is workable together.

- Christopher Mullins

Hmmm... interesting... not sure what to make of this.

You seem to be implying that Active Points are used for some type of balancing, which would mean that you think any powers that come in under the maximum limit of a campaign are automatically balanced within that limit. Which leads to the supposition that you think that Desolid at 40 Points is balanced with other powers at the same level, yet somehow, I really don't believe you think that.

Balance is something the GM must determine based on the build itself inspite of the Active Points. That's just my opinion.

It is one of the basic premises of the system that things with equal cost are roughly equal in utility. I'm not saying that holds all or even most of the time--indeed it seems at times to be one of the main themes of this board to find, discuss, and manage discrepencies in the power/cost relationships of various builds--but we might as well try to stay consistent both with other Powers and the Powers in the standard system (which we reasonably familiar with). I actually think that Desolidification is pretty balanced for its cost, especially with the current rules about not affecting the physical world, and the Base Cost being pretty high (which means adding things like Reduced End Cost is expensive).

But I wasn't necessarily just talking about balance either. Is it unreasonable to place Desolidification in a Multipower or VPP (a spell, for example)? Is it unreasonable to allow it in a game with AP limits less than the Base Points + Max. Disadvantage Points for a character? Should we be creating a Power that will force the GM to make exceptions left and right just to allow these things?

You've given me some good ideas. Thanks.

Sure thing! I never tire of being a critic. ;)