Heroic/superheroic dimension hopping: How would you handle it?

Yamo

Heroic and Superheroic tend to be applied to entire campaign settings in a binary fashion, where everybody follows one set of rules. Even the non-super VIPER agents in the Champions setting are statted-up as though they had to pay points for all their equipment.

So let's say that Superheroic character Defender falls into a dimensional portal and finds himself on the same world with Heroic rogue Chiron. Does Defender now have to use Heroic rules for pushing, adding damage, etc, or is he the only one in his new world that uses the Superheroic ones?

Is there an "official" answer to this sort of question, and if not, how would you adjucate it?

If two characters meet, the difference between heroic and superheroic isn't worth writing up. If the VIPER agents didn't pay for their weapons, I wouldn't worry so long as I could still balance the fight scenes.

If you want a campaign where some guys are built using heroic points and others aren't, I'd be inclined to give the superhero more points, but make him pay for all his equipment. Paying points for equipment seems to balance the other bits nicely.

Originally posted by Col. Orange

If someone in my game wants to be the equivalent of Buffy instead of one of the Scooby gang like the rest, they have to buy a 20pt power "uses super-heroic rules". They then start doing KB, pushing with up to 10 END, can buy powers over 40 active points, etc.

This is pretty much what I do -- I require the PC to buy off the Normal Characteristic Maxima limit, in effect paying 20 points :D

As for what happens when a character crosses into another world -- typically the campaign doesn't change, so the campaign rules are still enforced. Note there are exceptions to this, AKA the Grand GM Cheese of "This Universe Works Differently".

Re: Heroic/superheroic dimension hopping: How would you handle it?

Originally posted by Yamo

So let's say that Superheroic character Defender falls into a dimensional portal and finds himself on the same world with Heroic rogue Chiron. Does Defender now have to use Heroic rules for pushing, adding damage, etc, or is he the only one in his new world that uses the Superheroic ones?

He's the only one who uses the Superheroic rules, unless the dimension travel alters him in the process. For example, instead of taking Defender to an ordinary alternate dimension, it could take him to a dimension in which literary rules are part of the laws of nature, in which case he's gone from a comic book universe to a fantasy novel and is therefore subject to the new rules.