Rant - Quit yer whinin' about Crisis!

Jhamin

Re: Rant - Quit yer whinin' about Crisis!

I never whine about Crisis itself; it was very nicely done. The aftermath, however, had issues.

I liked Byrne's Man of Steel when it first came out, but it would have been nice to figure out the Legion stuff beforehand - even something like Clark only *ever* being Superboy in the future, and having his memory of such events erased on each time trip back, would have been okay. The one thing they did right in that case was set the Man of Steel miniseries stories in the 7-10 years before 'current' DC titles.

The Wonder Woman revamp was nice, but would have been much better if also set in the past so that she could be a mainstay of the JLA from the beginning. Similarly, there was nothing wrong with Truman's Hawkworld that couldn't have been fixed by shoving it into the past and having Katar and Shayera adopting more 'superheroic' outfits by late in the mini.

Really, a little more editorial control would have prevented 90% plus of the problems they later encountered.

Without reading Infinite Crisis, it's all speculation, but I see much of the purpose of OMAC project is to build the rift DC wants between the Big Three. Wonder Woman killing Max Lord, Batman being responsibile, ultimately, for the whole mess, and Supes nearly killing Batman all look to be contributors to that process.

They could still have gotten this "rift" without going through as many convoluted storylines and maybe a little more friendly to new readers.

I miss the non-paranoic Batman who was friendly to other superheroes and non-judgemental as well. He even used words like "fella" and "gonna". He was a lot more human and far, far easier to identify with while reading. If I knew Batman personally, I'm sure I wouldn't like him.

Keith "checking over shoulder" Curtis

Ok' date=' when did we all go European and start saying "in university" and "at university?" I was at college. :)[/quote']

Well, I went to the University of Oklahoma in the 80's, so I was at University then. Most of the classes I took were from the College of Arts and Sciences, but some were from other colleges. The last several years I've been taking courses at the Metropolitan State College of Denver, but as I wasn't living there I wouldn't really consider it being "at" college. More like going to college.

My favourite observation about the differences between colleges and universities was "Universities are what colleges become when they stop caring about their students". ;)

As far as the actual topic goes, for someone that is an ardent fan of comic book RPGs, I've never really been much of a comics reader. The only comics I own I picked up when I was working at the (now closed) Dimaond warehouse in Denver. And most of them are "damages" that I picked up for like 15 or 20 cents. So I've personally never whined about any of the various Crisis type things...