BOECV entangle question

kuoshu

I am writing up an entangle based on EGO. The write up is easy, but I am not positive how it plays out based on the Sidekick (which is all I have access to most of the time).

Here is the basic idea.

Hysteria: Entangle 3d6, 3 DEF (Custom Adder - Costs endurance to maintain 1/4 initial cost at per seg 12), Takes No Damage From Attacks Limited Group (Not affected by STR only by EGO; +1/4), Based On EGO Combat Value (Mental Defense applies; +1) (79 Active Points); Stops Working If Mentalist Is Stunned (-1/2), Eye Contact Required to initiate (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4)

What are the game mechanics for breaking out of this? I've been going through the Sidekick (I bought the PDF to answer questions while away from my SK and 5ER hardcopies) and I can't find how this would work.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

K.

Re: BOECV entangle question

The entangled character could also use any mental powers that were appropriate to break out - certainly Ego Attack could do it and the GM might allow mind control or mental illusions to as well (depending on discretion/sfx/etc, despite what it says in the main rules, where it disapproves of this approach).

Note that entangle in either form does not use END so the 'adder' you mention sounds more like some kind of limitation. Note that if it cost END to maintain then it would automatically switch off if the character was stunned as he would not be able to continue to spend END, so you probably can't have 'costs END' and 'switch off if stunned'.

SirViss...

Such a simple answer, boy are my cheeks red.

Thank you, and thanks for catching that Sean.

I had started with the idea that it was up, but would drop when she was knocked out. Then I wanted to limit her a bit more to keep the power from being crazy-out-of-control. My one thought was that if she is stunned the drop would be immediate, and the enemy could act in their next action segment. On the other hand I only want her to pay upkeep in post seg 12.

Not sure how well this might or might not merit the disads in this case. Obviously one or the other is valid. But both may or may not be.

By the way, I don't want her to have to pay upkeep each of her segments, because that would mean that she would pay more per round if she has more speed, which doesn't seem right to me.

K.

The entangled character could also use any mental powers that were appropriate to break out - certainly Ego Attack could do it and the GM might allow mind control or mental illusions to as well (depending on discretion/sfx/etc' date=' despite what it says in the main rules, where it disapproves of this approach).[/quote']

Most likely. As long as use of those mental attacks don't require Accessible Foci or Gestures. Many mental attacks built as, "spells," will thus not qualify. :)

Well' date=' if it's BOECV, then the character trying to breakout would make a roll with 1d6/5 EGO. You basically substitute EGO for STR in this case, and use the same mechanics for how many BODY that is done to the Entangle.[/quote']

Yep. It's the old "Mental Paralysis" power from the days of yore.....

One of the things about a BOECV Entangle that is often overlooked is that other people can always make attempts to break the target out. A normal Entangle, even when bought Does Not Take Damage From Attacks, can still be attacked seperately from the entangled character and damaged normally. The same is true when you apply the BOECV Advantage. The only difference is what damages the entangle. In such a case, anyone can use their EGO, at 0 Range, to try to break the Entangle. More often than not, this does not suit the SFX and is often dismissed, a practice I don't approve of, as it makes Entangle far too powerful for the points spent.

That's a good point DustRaven, and I like the idea of the hard stare into the eyes of the affected (along with a few stinging slaps - thank you Arkham) and yell at them to "Snap out of it you coward!". Very cinematic, and not power breaking as it can only happen if that person is not under assault.

Very cool... And one of the reasons that Hero keeps standing ahead of the crowd in my mind. This fits naturally with the rules, it doesn't take a "cop out" gm ruling.

Kuoshu

PS - I got home and checked my giganto-book of rules, and found the information relating to how to break out of BOECV there spelled out nice and neat. The info just was not easily found in the SK (I still haven't see it there).