PC Jobs

Okay, so I'm getting ready to run my first campaign (in a long time) and I started reading up on money. I've checked out a few threads on the boards, as well as FREd, Star HERO, and the BBB.

I understand that in Champs games, if you can reasonably have it, espcially on a middle class income, then there you go. But if it gives you Powers (i.e. a focus such as a gun or laser cannon) then you have to pay points.

And in a heroic-level game, Star HERO for example; almost all of your 'powers' are bought as equipment that can break, be stolen, damaged etc.

Well, it occurred to me that most characters are people too. They have lives and most will have jobs. This is how they pay the bills. so I guess my problem is this; ...

what to tell the players when they start asking questions about "how much do I make?"

To which I will almost always reply "Well, what do you do for a living when you're not running around in spandex tights (or ferro-plast armor, or sentient starships)?"

Pretty much wing it, but remember that characters without PSs have few if any "job" skills and will usually have minimum wage jobs (you want fries with that?). Of course there are exceptions, a character with acrobatics and acting might be a clown or other performer but its unlikely that a character with a ton of combat skills will be employable except for as muscle (or an adventurer). I also generally base starting equipment on skills, one weapon for each CSL, medkit for paramedics, tool kit for mechanics etc.

Hmmm.

Various jobs some of my PCs have held:

Nighthawk: Detective (Head of the Fly by Night Detective Agency)

Calico: Agent of SWORD

A bunch of characters: Their job was being a superhero

Spectrum: Lawyer

Some levels of wealth can offset any real need for a job.

Of course you could be living off a trust fund, but the superheroing takes up enough cash that you don't actually have a level of wealth.

I have always assumed that the Everyman Skills all characters have will allow one to hold a job. On our current team, we have quite a mix of professions:

Cyberknight: Non-Profit Organization CEO

Eagle Eye: Bodyguard (to above CEO)

Zl'f: Executive Assistant (to above CEO)

Catseye: Physician

Thunderbird: Physician

Silhouette: Nuclear Physicist

le Máge: Police Detective (Sureté)

Prodigy: Speculative Fiction Writer

Lt. Kilroy: Technician

Of course, the members of our team all receive a $100,000+ per year salary as superheroes also. The jobs are more for cover.

$$$$$

If the player is asking for an exact amount (Last year you made $82,374.97 before taxes) I would think it was an extremely needless detail.

But for a round figure, trying going into a college

Career Services department. There you can do a job search and click the option to know how much you might make a year in that profession.

There was a system for MONEY POINTS (in Champions 3 but I am not sure about this)

If a character isn't going to spend a couple of points on the wealthy perk, then it doesn't really matter. If this is a heroic game, then what you allow them to buy matters more than how much they make, since a little adventuring can fix most financial problems. If a player wants to be certain of getting a certain level of technology, there was an old Dark Champions rule about granting access via a perk, with more access costing more points (I believe it topped out at 15 points for military/sci-fi).

Just my 2 cents, use or abuse at your whim. :)

Thanx for the response, all. Basically I was looking for a rundown of "How much does this job make and what is required for me to hold it" kind of thing. Something similar to the (((shudders)))) GURPS 'job list'.

I'll defnately be checking out those college job placement sites.

I haven't read any of the above post, but as far as "how much a character makes" start them off at a reasonable amount according to their income (whether they have wealth disads, perks, or are at the average income)...for starting money, or how much money they have lying around you may want to have them roll any PSs and multiply that by a number which suits you (e.g., in our fantasy game all players start off with 10 gp for every 2 they made their PSs by, allowing also to raise their roll with any complimentary roll which pertained to their "job". The amountthey got was adjusted up or down for wealth disads or perks, for e.g., a wealthy nobleman might get 50 per 2 instead of 10, while some with the poor disad might onlt get 5 per...anyway...good luck with your game.

MANCER