Vanor: races

Icel

Vanor is a fantasy setting I have been working on for several years, and since I got my HERO book I'm starting to make a vanor conversion for it.

For now I have built some racial pakage deals for all the player races in vanor and I'll like to post them for a review, if you may.

Elves (not your everyday elves...):

4 +4 STR.

4 +2 CON.

4 Running +2".

8 Magesight: Detect Magic 11- (Sight Group), Discriminatory.

10 Starsight: Ultraviolet Perception (Sight Group), Discriminatory.

3 Longevity: Life Support (Longevity: 560 Years).

-10 Distinctive Features: Elf (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures).

23 Total Cost

Dwarves:

8 +4 CON.

2 +2 INT.

10 Darkvision: Nightvision, Discriminatory.

10 Poison Immunity: Life Support (Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents).

2 Longevity: Life Support (Longevity: 320 Years).

-5 Distinctive Features: Dwarf (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures).

-4 -2'' Running.

23 Total Cost

Humans:

4 Strong Minded: Mental Defense (4 points + base points from EGO)

10 Highly Social: +2 with Interaction Skills

14 Total Cost

Note: those are just basic human features. There is a human sub-race with much greater capabilities.

Trolls:

4 +4 INT.

6 +2 DEX.

4 Running +2".

9 Ambidexterity (no Off Hand penalty).

12 Troll Blood: Healing 1 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (34 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2).

1 Longevity: Life Support (Longevity: 200 Years).

-10 Distinctive Features: Troll (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures).

26 Total Cost

Ogres: (Basicly a subrace of trolls)

4 +4 INT.

2 +2 PRE.

6 Ogre Hide: Armor (2 PD/2 ED), Inherent (+1/4) (15 Active Points).

12 Troll Blood: Healing 1 BODY, Can Heal Limbs, Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (34 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2).

4 Longevity: Life Support (Longevity: 1040 Years).

-15 Distinctive Features: Ogre (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures).

22 Total Cost

Goblins:

12 +4 DEX.

4 +2 EGO.

6 Extra Joint, Strong Legs: Leaping +4".

9 Extra Joint, Strong Legs: Running +3".

12 Extra Joint, Strong Legs: +2 with Acrobatics.

4 Distinctive Features: Goblin (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures).

-15 Short Life Span (60 Years).

24 Total Cost

Orcs:

8 +4 EGO.

2 +2 STR.

18 Spiritual Connection: Mind Link , Specific Group of Minds, Any distance, No LOS Needed, Inherent (+1/4) (31 Active Points); Extra Time (Delayed Phase, -1/4), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Stops Working If Mentalist Is Knocked Out (-1/4).

-5 Distinctive Features: Orc (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures).

23 Total Cost

Re: Vanor: races

Okay, I'll bite. Why do Trolls and Ogres have a INT BONUS? And What's with the massmind thing going on with your Orcs?

Rob

First about the orcs: the orcs are connected to the spirit world also known as the "dead zone". this connection allows them to reach to each other in direct mind link. Training may give some orcs (known as seers) more control over thier connection.

But I just saw an error that needs to be fixed...

INT bonus for the trolls and ogres: they are just plain smart.

Elves - seems cool to me. The elves I'm developing for my world would be very similar. For me they'll have higher INT, as well, but not be quite as strong (maybe a +2)

Dwarves - again, similar to my own, including the DEX bonus.

Humans - interesting additions. Not bad, mind you, just interesting.

Trolls - cool

Ogres - whoa. Now there's something you don't see everyday. An intelligent ogre that lives longer than elves.

Goblins - freaky little bastiches, ain't they?

Orcs - mind link, eh? I'd be interested to see the practical applications of that (how you intend to you use it in-game).

I'm intrigued. Feel free to post more.

Interesting, but two comments:

1) Currently that's a completely controllable mind-link, and thus Orcs can quickly become a nearly unbeatable foe as an Orc army has instant intelligence at a level of fighting where intelligence can almost rule the day. That's pretty scarey, actually.

2) The trolls/orges make me think of the ones from the comic Gold Digger, they were actually descendants of a super-advanced race now reduced to barbarism. Inherently they were the smartest guys around, and their language (which everyone else thought was gibbering) was actually so advanced that nobody could understand it but them.

Rob

Currently that's a completely controllable mind-link, and thus Orcs can quickly become a nearly unbeatable foe as an Orc army has instant intelligence at a level of fighting where intelligence can almost rule the day. That's pretty scarey, actually.

I said before that there was an error. The error is that I need to add a RSR to the orc mind link power. The skill will be any "mystic"/ magic skill, to represent that only orcs with at least a little spiritual learing can use his mind link.

I said before that there was an error. The error is that I need to add a RSR to the orc mind link power. The skill will be any "mystic"/ magic skill' date=' to represent that only orcs with at least a little spiritual learing can use his mind link.[/quote']

Then should it be part of the standard package? It would make more sense to make it an "optional" power, which sounds more like what you're trying for.

Still, could be handled in cool ways and make Orcs a dangerous enemy.

Rob

Then should it be part of the standard package? It would make more sense to make it an "optional" power, which sounds more like what you're trying for.

Still, could be handled in cool ways and make Orcs a dangerous enemy.

Rob

The thing is, it's part of being an orc. It will be unfair for onr orc characters to have more points because he chose not the have any magical abilities...

The thing is' date=' it's part of being an orc. It will be unfair for onr orc characters to have more points because he chose not the have any magical abilities...[/quote']

But, there's nothing stopping the other characters from selling off their packages for points either. (ie I get +4 for STR from the package, so I sell off 4 points of STR for points and end up even!) It's why I don't like package deals.

I wouldn't look at it as being unfair, the HERO system is all about fiddling with characters and mixing and matching. You wanna see unfair, wait until your group has two Orcs who start using this power to do artillery strikes, ambushes and indirect attacks on your opposition. (I make Scouty Orc and Billy makes Archy Orc or Magy Orc...)

I agree that asking PCs to pay 18 points of XP later for a power is a lot (in fact you might consider cheapening it up a little) but they did have the option right from the start to buy it as part of the package. (And most PCs probably will, I know I would...)

Rob

What I'd like to see in addition to the package deals is the description of each race. How do they look like? What are their cultures like? How are your elves similar to the archetypal fantasy elves' date=' and how are they different? That sort of stuff.[/quote']

Sure, I don't mind.

Elves: 2.40 meters tall, live up to 560 years or so. Dark skin, long pointy ears, bold (yes, bold- even the ladys). Strong and thought- rumars say that an unarmed elf can beat up an armed human.

There are three main elf nations- the First borns realm of Slistel, the Second born realm in the Southern Jungles and the Young born colony in the west (the west is an unknown continent which the elves sail to about a 100 years or so ago).

Most of the first born are nomads. They have a strict code of honor and thier mastery of arms is well known.

The second born are merciless assassins which use poisenos slugs to fight an endless war against the humans and trolls who live in the Jungles.

The young born patriotic folk how try to rediscover the lost lands of the west.

Dwarves: 1.30 neters tall, live up to 320 years or so. their appearance varying between culture. The Silver blooded live in the mountain city of Centara, their skin is silvery (:D ). They are great alchemist and artificer, and in the middle of thier city they have a great forge.

The Brass blooded live in the plain regions of Cesdan. They have brass-live skin and are mostly farmers (I planed them to be hobbit-like).

The Chrome blooded live in the high mountians of Ice-Tooth Peaks, and have chrome colored skins. Their kingdoms only stop fighting each-others when they need to battle the Forsaken.

The Iron blooded are evil dwarves with dark-red skin. they live in a mountain in the middle of the desert and battle the nearby human nations frequently.

Humans: the only notable human culture are the Magrians, born sorcerers. They literaly have magic in their veins. They live on an island called Magria, with a volcano in the middle (its the home of anortren, the fire god, but never mind that...).

Troll: the trolls in vanor are more "warcraft" like. they have slim bodies, egg shaped heads, long pointy ears. They are 2.20 neters tall and live up to 200 years.

Two cultures of trolls exists- the Jungle trolls who live in the Southern Jungles. They worship a Frog-God and are known to be able to summon Warrior Frogs to aid them.

The Frost trolls live in the chilly plains of Tryalon. They are known hunters and alchemist, who once have fought a great war against the human nations of the north-east, but in the present there is peace among them.

Ogres: a rare case. Ogres are actually trolls- born of troll females. Unfortunately, the troll mother die at birth because of the size of the newborn. The baby ogre then is sent to Kursh, a hidden city at Mt. Kurash, and is grown by the adult ogres.

Ogres are 3.50 meters tall and live up to 1040 years. because of their long life span, the ogres has been known to study the living world for long, and have libraries of great knowledge.

Goblins: green skin basterds. 1.10 meters tall and 60 years lifespan. The goblins have no place of their own- they live with other races- in centara with the dwarves, in tryalon with the trolls and in Gat'batur with humans. They are the ones who invented chemistry and have access to gun powder. Their head shape is similier to trolls'.

Orcs: all trolls are 1.90 meters tall and live up to 120 years. But thier appearance varying between culture.

The Northern orcs have green skin and are very similier to "warcraft"'s orcs, although they are not very shamanistic. They are the best salors and traders in the world.

The southern orcs have light yellow-brown skins and little horns on their forhead. They are the shamanistic type, who are ruled by a caste of Seers.

Seems to me that if you're going to make new races that are very different from the norms for the names you've given them - you should just give your list its own names and mythos seperate from what people will asume of races like 'elves', 'dwarves', and so on.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Races of Vanor Revised

Elves

4 +4 STR.

4 +2 CON.

4 Running +2".

8 Magesight: Detect Magic 11- (Sight Group), Discriminatory.

10 Starsight: Ultraviolet Perception (Sight Group), Discriminatory.

3 Longevity: Life Support (Longevity: 560 Years).

-10 Distinctive Features: Elf (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures).

23 Total Cost

Dwarves

8 +4 CON.

2 +2 INT.

10 Darkvision: Nightvision, Discriminatory.

10 Poison Immunity: Life Support (Immunity: All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents).

2 Longevity: Life Support (Longevity: 320 Years).

-5 Distinctive Features: Dwarf (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures).

-4 -2'' Running.

23 Total Cost

Gnomes

4 +4 INT.

4 +2 EGO.

10 Inquisitive Mind: +2 with Intellect Skills.

4 Acute Smell: +4 PER with Smell/Taste Group.

2 Longevity: Life Support (Longevity: 240 Years).

-5 Distinctive Features: Gnome (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures).

23 Total Cost

Humans

4 Strong Minded: Mental Defense (4 points + base points from EGO)

10 Highly Social: +2 with Interaction Skills

3 Jack of All Trades

5 Human Spirit: Luck 1d6

22 Total Cost

Trolls

4 +4 INT.

6 +2 DEX.

4 Running +2".

1 Longevity: Life Support (Longevity: 200 Years).

-10 Distinctive Features: Troll (Not Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures).

26 Total Cost

Ogers

4 +4 INT.

2 +2 PRE.

9 Ogre Hide: Armor (3 PD/3 ED), Inherent (+1/4) (15 Active Points).

4 Longevity: Life Support (Longevity: 1040 Years).

-15 Distinctive Features: Ogre (Not Concealable; Always Noticed and Causes Major Reaction; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures).

25 Total Cost

Goblins

12 +4 DEX.

4 +2 EGO.

6 Extra Joint, Strong Legs: Leaping +4".

9 Extra Joint, Strong Legs: Running +3".

12 Extra Joint, Strong Legs: +2 with Acrobatics.

4 Distinctive Features: Goblin (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures).

-1Short Life Span (60 Years).

24 Total Cost

Orcs

8 +4 EGO.

2 +2 STR.

5 Call of the Wild: Mental Awareness

10 Acute Hearing: Tracking with Hearing Group

4 Acute Hearing: +2 PER with Hearing Group

-5 Distinctive Features: Orc (Concealable; Noticed and Recognizable; Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses; Not Distinctive In Some Cultures).

23 Total Cost

=====

As you can see, Vanor now has Gnomes! They are a subrace of Dwarves.

The Orcs and Humans have beed greatly modified.