Double-Tapping

zakueins

Just had this random thought....

DOUBLE TAPPING-

In certian firearms combat techniques, double-tapping is used to ensure that a target hit by fire goes down. The technique involves firing two closely-timed shots into a target, maximizing damage (which can work with modern semi-automatic pistols). In certian firearms systems (CQB, Gun Kata, etc, etc), a short (three round) burst of fire is worked so that it can hit within a very small area-usually the cluster of blood vessels above the heart-in tight sequence to do maximum damage.

If the player has a semi-automatic firearm, a ranged power/attack with Autofire (3 shots), a weapon/power that can be counted as "tightly sequenced" (this doesn't count having two guns, as the fire cannot be closely coordinated enough), and the Rapid Attack (Ranged) skill, the player can double-tap (or triple-tap) a target. After the first attack, the second (and third) are resolved seperately. If the second (and third) attacks hit-and beat the first attack roll, the damage from the second (and third) attacks are combined with the damage from the first attack. If the second (and third) attack hits but doesn't beat the first, the damage is kept seperate.

Re: Double-Tapping

I would do it slightly differently as a power skill.

Double Tapping: Autofire (x3 Shots; +1/2) on Firearms up to 50 Active Points (25 Active Points); OAF (Semi-Automatic Firearm; -1), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4), Extra Time (Full Phase; -1/2), Requires Firearms Tricks Roll (-1/2) (total cost: 8 points) plus +4 Damage Class (12 Active Points); OAF (Semi-Automatic Firearm; -1), Linked to Greater Power (-1/4), The Maximum Damage Caused by Firearm Cannot Exceed the normal limit of the Semi-Automatic Firearm (-1) (total cost: 4 points). Total Cost: 12 points.

Is there? I don't have my books with me at work.

Yes. The version you presented is fairly close to the one in DC. Their autofire is 2 shot and it works with guns up to 60 Active points. There are differences in the limitations. And there are seven variations in the DC book.

What no squirrel avatar? Didn't know who I was talking to for a minute.

I would just do +2 OCV with Rapid Fire and leave the rest alone. Obviously double-tapping is harder than um... single-tapping?... so the rules for Rapid Fire should simulate it just fine.

I generally agree with DR here, but from some of the ancedotes I've read about involving trained shooters double tapping, I'd probably allow a power stunt (Power skill: trick shooting, gun-fu or the like) to let both shots hit the same location.

I remember reading about some confusion a few years back when the police were doing the standard investigation that follows any shooting by police. The officer, a graduate of Jeff Cooper's Gunsight school, swore he had double tapped the perp as he was trained and conditioned to do. There was only one bullet hole, and no sign of the second shot.

That is, until they did the autopsy, and discovered both bullets in the same wound channel.

I suppose if you wanted to be consistantly THAT good at double tapping, you could buy, say, +2d6 RKA deadly blow with pistols, RSR Gun tricks, requires an extra charge

I generally agree with DR here' date=' but from some of the ancedotes I've read about involving trained shooters double tapping, I'd probably allow a power stunt (Power skill: trick shooting, gun-fu or the like) to let both shots hit the same location.[/quote']

That would work. The ability to be "good" at double tapping will vary from shooter to shooter though, and how you'll represent that with game mechanics will vary even more. Extra damage works just fine. Something like +1d6 RKA with Uses An Extra Charge or an appropriate amount of Increased END would work very nice for firing two shots and hitting the same location with each. Another option is to just state that when using Hit Locations, any Rapid Attack with the SFX of double-tapping, both shots automatically hit the same location (so long as both hit).

There are a couple ways to handle something like "double tapping". One option is to do something with autofire that we've done in our groups for so long that I don't remember whether it is technically "canon" or not. In short, when you roll for damage, you can, at any time, keep your damage roll and apply it to all remaining rolls. So if you have an 8D6 autofire and roll 38 on the first roll, you can count all of them as 38s and stop rolling.

Another possibility would be to do something similar to what Dust Raven suggested and give a damage bonus for each extra shot that hits. Maybe +1 DC for each extra shot, in the same way that each extra shot provides extra knockback.

Also, you could buy skill levels that only applied to that maneuver and then use them to increase the damage instead of add to the hit rolls, though I'm not sure if it would be all that cost effective.

I would just do +2 OCV with Rapid Fire and leave the rest alone. Obviously double-tapping is harder than um... single-tapping?... so the rules for Rapid Fire should simulate it just fine.

Yeah. Or maybe 3-point (or 5-point, but it definitely isn't as broad as, "All Ranged Attacks") CSLs with, "Rapid Fire and Ranged Autofire Attacks."