"Tag Along" movement power

bigdamnhero

Re: "Tag Along" movement power

Sorry to go MIA from my own party folks; been doing that a lot lately. :(

Thanks for all the ideas, both serious and humorous. And I'm not going to specify which I think was which. :D

The reasoning behind the idea was that the character's shtick is primarily about enhancing other characters' powers, so the player couldn't think up a logical reason the character would have a movement power on his own. I was trying to come up with a way he could “help†someone else to help him move. I wanted to have a couple different possibilities to suggest to the player, so again thanks for all the ideas.

My initial post made it sound like he was going to be physically in contact with the "prime mover" but I'm also thinking he might want to be able to do it at (short) range, so he can fly/run/whatever right behind the prime? He may not be able to afford that initially, but it could be an upgrade for later.

Nothing inherently wrong with N-Ads; I just tend to be very leery about them because I’ve seen them abused so much. (Which I agree is the GM’s fault – I’m trying for it NOT to be my fault.)

Personally, I think I lean towards EverKnight’s suggestion of just buying flight with a couple “useable as other movement†ads and a “only to mimic…†lim. Reasons: 1) it seems the simplest conceptually, mimicry just becomes the spfx of his movement power, 2) the mechanics are simple, and this is a fairly new player, 3) he can start with only one or two movement types initially and add others later, 4) it can fit in his existing EC, and 5) the cost seems about in line with what I think it should cost.

Although that begs the question of how much this “should†cost. The benefit he gets is having more than one type of movement, but the restriction is that he has to stay close to one of his teammates to use it. How much does the one outweigh the others? Given that both his teammates have movement powers (hyper-running and leaping), how much should the limitation be worth? I’m thinking: [limited power, only to mimic the movement powers of another willing character within x†(x†being one half-move): -1]. Too much? Not enough?

…and BTW, if I haven’t said it lately – it is SO freakin’ cool to have a place to geek out over this type of stuff with like-minded folks. God I love this board! :celebrate

bigdamnhero

"See this? This is my BOOM stick."

This character has a similar power:

http://www.killershrike.com/MillennialMen/CharacterFiles/Blackjack.HTML

1) Lucky Ride: Running 16", x8 Noncombat, Variable Special Effects (Various Forms Of Transport; +1/4), Can Be Used As Flight (+1/4), Can Be Used As Swimming (+1/4), Can Be Used As Gliding (+1/4), Can Be Used As Swinging (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (115 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12), Only to Activate, -3/4), Activation Roll 13- (-3/4), Ride of Opportunity (-1/2), Speed Limited By Available Ride (-1/2), Physical Manifestation (Ride; -1/4)

Notes: Catches a cab, hitches a ride, finds an unchained bike, borrows a skateboard, rides a runnerboard -- or whatever.

Initially I was convinced Clinging was the way to go, so the Character could perch on other Characters while they race around... but now I think it should be built as a VPP dependant on the Movement Powers being used by others in his vicinity, so as to mimic a kind of "Movement Power Aura Wave Riding" kind of schtick. This would be retardedly expensive, though.

Do you want to include Tunneling and Teleportation? If not, this could probably be done with a simple Limited Flight that is Usable as Swimming. With that, you can go anywhere anyone with Running, Flight, Swimming, Gliding, or Leaping can go. The SFX can provide some minor benefits and drawbacks, like:

• No Turn Mode when you are tagging on to a character using Running and Swimming (you just hang on and let them turn you).
  • May have to touch ground if tagging along with someone who has Running or Leaping.
  • May not be able to make (controlled) Move Throughs.
  • etc.