Help With Gadget Idea/Design

clsage

Had a thought on the ride home tonight and I'm not certain

of an "elegant way" to generate the effect...

Basically it's a device (built into a PDA or such) that generates

a "privacy field" surrounding a couple of people and negating

any evesdropping attempts while they talk.

My initial idea involves using: Invisibility - Hearing group;

Area Effect - Hole in the Center; IAF (PDA/Widget/whatever).

I've also toyed with: Force Wall - Transparent to all but

sound; IAF (PDA/Widget/whatever).

Anyone got a cleaner, simpler method ?

-Carl-

Re: Help With Gadget Idea/Design

Howsabout:

Darkness, 1" (which is 6.5 ft) vs. hearing group (possibly TV radio group too if you want)with Personal Immunity and the Area Effect advantage, Selective. Comes out to about 15 active pts. and 10 real points if it's through an IAF. You'll probably want to buy it as a continuing battery charge.

Howsabout:

Darkness, 1" (which is 6.5 ft) vs. hearing group (possibly TV radio group too if you want)with Personal Immunity and the Area Effect advantage, Selective. Comes out to about 15 active pts. and 10 real points if it's through an IAF. You'll probably want to buy it as a continuing battery charge.

I was thinking Darkness, too, but with a hole in the middle. Also, unless it can keep outside noises out, too, you'd want some form of "Only vs. noises from within" or some such.

Howsabout:

This won't quite work because you also need to make the person you want to talk with immune. That's why folks are going with hole-in-the-middle.

I kind of like the mindlink within the tight radius. This way the people can "talk" without it appearing like they are talking. Otherwise, folks walking buy would see them moving their lips but nothing would be coming out - thus the folks viewing them might think they were losing their own hearing. Then again, if that's the effect you want to go for... :)

I kind of like the mindlink within the tight radius. This way the people can "talk" without it appearing like they are talking. Otherwise' date=' folks walking buy would see them moving their lips but nothing would be coming out - thus the folks viewing them might think they were losing their own hearing. Then again, if that's the effect you want to go for... :)[/quote']

The effect is basically a "white noise/listening device jammer" deal. I

had thought of it (funnily enough) as a part of the backstory for how

my (currently unfinished and unrun) character Sekkou would share the

details of his secret ID with one of his contacts, a judge. Basically the

backstory has him in her court chambers and activating the jammer/masker

so they can talk privately. So it needs to be able to cover the area of a

"standard office" and impact technological and/or "casual" (ear to the door)

evesdropping. And since it's a sort of cool gadget for him to have in his

tech arsenal I decided to make it more than just a plot point and build it.

I had thought about Mindlink, but I have to admit I wasn't sure I could

generate a "handwave physics/psuedo-science backstory" to explain it.

And as Sekkou is mainly a sort of "Iron Man meets Reed Richards" type

I'd really like to have that....:D

-Carl-

Darkness, Hearing Group, 2 hex radius, with a one-hex Hole in the Middle (+1/4). 13 points before disads. You can get away with a one-hex radius (6 points) if the GM is nice.

‘White noise’ really should be images ‘only to blot out sound’ or Change Enviornment to force a PER roll at a penalty, but Darkness is so cheap, it’s hard to resist. :)

Mind link with no range is good too, but Mind Link has a pretty high ‘entrance cost’

---

Wasn’t this one of the example powers?

5 Darkness to Hearing Group 1" radius, Mobile (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (10 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), IAF (-1/2)

Plus 1 of the following:

4 Option 1: Personal Immunity (+1/4) for up to 10 Active Points of Darkness, Usable Simultaneously (up to 2 people at once; +1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Continuous (+1) (6 Active Points); IAF (-1/2)

3 Option 2: Hole In The Middle (1 hex in center; +1/4) for up to 10 Active Points of Darkness, Selective (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Continuous (+1) (5 Active Points); IAF (-1/2)

HM