Mutant detector

bigdamnhero

I don't know if there's an "official" answer to this or not, but I'll also take "how do you handle this" answers:

How common are mutant detectors in the CU? Are they hugely expensive, or relatively affordable? Are they handheld, or do they require a full lab? Do they require a complete blood work-up, or just a simple scan?

What made me think of this is I just noticed the IHA Minuteman robot on p145 of CU does NOT have any ability to detect mutants. I guess IHA has to wait until they've figured out someone is a mutant before sending the robots after them? (I know IHA is opposed to all superhumans, not just mutants, but they do seem to hate mutants more than other metahumans.)

bigdamnhero

"Just once I'd like to fight an alien menace that wasn't invulnerable to our weapons."

Re: Mutant detector

There's really too little information about the IHA to make an accurate statement. I would assume that mutant detectors are at least small enough to be used by one person [perhaps backpack sized, but most likely smaller]. I would have no problem if it were so large that it only fit in the back of a panel van though.

In the Champions setting, UNTIL has mutant detectors that are hand held. Actully, the unit that does mutant detection also detects other things like radiation and such. Regardless, the device is expensive, so it's not handed out to every field agent, but they are common enough that you can expect any agent to be able to obtain one in short order.

I've always imagined the mutant hating IHA distributes the things a bit more widly amongst it's agents, but then they probably also have a more specialized unit.

In the Champions setting' date=' UNTIL has mutant detectors that are hand held. Actully, the unit that does mutant detection also detects other things like radiation and such. Regardless, the device is expensive, so it's not handed out to every field agent, but they are common enough that you can expect any agent to be able to obtain one in short order. [/quote']

Thanks! That's what I was wanting to know. :thumbup:

I take it the detector is in the UNTIL booK? (The one I don't have yet?)

bigdamnhero

"Well, my days of not taking you serious are certainly coming to a middle."

Indeed, under "Miscellaneous Equipment:" the U-USU, standing for "UNTIL Universal Sensor Unit."

If the IHA has or intends to obtain similar technology, they would probably just have mutant detectors, without the other capabilities of the UNTIL unit.

Yep, in "Communications and reconnaissance equipment", p. 95, the U-USU Universal Sensor Unit, microcassette recorder-sized, UNTIL is said to have found it so useful that it built large numers of them, and it detects mutant powers, NBC warfare agents, radiation, and magic.

Just like you may find the U-SA Mutant Neutralization Rifle, on p. 84. Admittably, this is mentioned as "expensive and rare", and only issued when UNTIL plans for facing powerful mutant opponents.

Aren't upstart monkeys cute (if annoying) when they resort to their toys in a pathetic attempt to stand their genetic betters :eg:

Aren't upstart monkeys cute (if annoying) when they resort to their toys in a pathetic attempt to stand their genetic betters :eg:

Depends on the toys. :eg: The gear that agents of Genocide from The Mutant File carried was extremely nasty, a threat even to very powerful mutants. But then it was intended to be.

The IHA in the current CU don't appear to be tricked out to the same degree that Genocide was, at least not yet. Mind you, the 5E Minuteman robot is certainly a nasty piece of work, if not up to the standard of the mechanical monstrosity from TMF.

(You know, when TMF came out I felt that those Minuteman robots were ridiculously overpowered, but with the new standards of the Champions Universe they look just about adequate for the job they're supposed to do.)

Depends on the toys. :eg: The gear that agents of Genocide from The Mutant File carried was extremely nasty, a threat even to very powerful mutants. But then it was intended to be.

The IHA in the current CU don't appear to be tricked out to the same degree that Genocide was, at least not yet. Mind you, the 5E Minuteman robot is certainly a nasty piece of work, if not up to the standard of the mechanical monstrosity from TMF.

(You know, when TMF came out I felt that those Minuteman robots were ridiculously overpowered, but with the new standards of the Champions Universe they look just about adequate for the job they're supposed to do.)

Indeed, at least as far as a 5th Ed. neophyte may judge. At least this rabid Magneto fan is in eager expectation of the day that IHA gets substantial more CU coverage beyond the tantalizing morsels they got in CU and Champ Battlegrounds.

Human supremacist anti-mutant bigots are the perfect adversaries if you wish to run the ever-popular anti-hero characters that have some (and more...) of the elitist violent jerk themselves, yet they have a valid point in feeling self-righteous ("look Ma, I'm beating up a racist !"), as the ongoing success of the X-crowd shows.