The Death Note and How To Stop It

Michael Hopcroft

Re: The Death Note and How To Stop It

Hopefully his death involves being pulled slowly through a wheat threshing machine.

From what I've seen, the wheat threshing machine just isn't in the cards. Without giving too much away, he ends up getting fatally shot in some warehouse by someone who he worked with on the Kira task force.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just watched this weekend's episode over on adult swim's website.

Light was really going to do it, he was really going to sacrifice his sister to keep the Death Note out of Mello's hands. At the last minute, however, he decided he couldn't do it without risking exposing himself as Kira. Light is one cold SOB, and that's something coming from a demon like me. :eg:

Yeah, that was interesting. I had been wondering, given his father is one of the detectives would he sacrifice his father if need be.

Actually, i kind of like Ryuk. Sure, he is an @$$hole. But, at least he doesnt hide it. And well, he just wants to create up some good entertainment. :rolleyes:

As nexus stated earlier it is possible to write-up even something like the Death Note in the Hero System. IMO, the best way to do it would be something like this:

RKA 20d6, Based On Ego Combat Value (Mental Defense applies; +1), Does BODY (+1), Variable Special Effect (for cause of death; +1/2), Full Invinsible (+1), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), (1500 Active Points); OAF (the Death Note or any single page from it; -1), Gestures (writing the target's name; -1/4), Must Know The Target's Name And Face (-1/2), Cause Of Death Defaults To Heart Attack If None Is Specified When Name Is Written Or If Specified Cause Would Be Physically Impossible (-0) (cost: 545-points) plus Time Delay (+1/4) for the RKA, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), (37 Active Points); OAF (The Death Note or a single page from it; -1), Gestures (must write time of death; -1/4), Must Know Target's Name And Face (-1/2) (cost: 13 points) plus Mind Scan 20d6, Reduced Endurance (0 END (0 END; +1/2), (150 Active Points; OAF (the Death Note or any single page from it; -1), Gestures (writing the target's name; -1/4), Must Know The Target's Name And Face (-1/2), Linked (to RKA; -1/2) (cost: 46-points) plus +5 ECV (25 Active Points); OAF (the Death Note or a single page from it; -1), Offense Only (-1/2) (cost: 10-points). Total Cost: 614-points

My Rationale:

First, while some might find the 20d6 RKA excessive, it more or less garrentees nobody in a Normal Characteristics Max game will have a high enough BODY stat to survive the effect (which is what we're going for here).

Second, I figured leaving the Based On Ego Combat Value defense as Mental Defense was safe enough, since hardly anyone in the series's human cast show any signs of having any. Can't really speak for the Shinigami either though.

Third, the naked Time Delay Advantage is included here because Light did use the Death Note to specify times of death as much as weeks in advance. (Remember: criminals were still dying while L had him and Misa locked up, even before Rem gave Light's Death Note to that corporate dude)

Fouth, the Mind Scan is included because he can kill someone without needing to be "on sight." I also added the Invisible Advantage to the RKA since we never see anything visible shooting out of the notebook when it's used.

Fifth and finally, I chose to write it up like this since writing up all the specific ways Light could kill someone would be way too complicated and expensive. As it is, the owner of the Death Note would more or less have to be an NPC.The part about the person who uses the Death Note not being able to go to Heaven or Hell when they die has no real in-game effect, so I didn't stat it. Shinigami Eyes power and Misa Misa sold seperately. :D

Comments and suggestions?

Nice writeup. Course, if used on Chuck Norris it would only give him a mild case of heartburn. But, luckily for Light, he isnt in it. :doi:

So' date=' since Light cant go to Heaven or Hell. What happens to his spirit. Does he just chill with the shinigami for eternity? :P[/quote']

Maybe he becomes a shinigami?

And how about what Ryuk did to him in the end? Man, talk about cold. Then again, Light turned into a bit of an @$$hole himself by the end.

And how about what Ryuk did to him in the end? Man, talk about cold. Then again, Light turned into a bit of an @$$hole himself by the end.

By the end? Light was a dick pretty much from the beginning unless the manga is really different from the show.

By the end? Light was a dick pretty much from the beginning unless the manga is really different from the show.

Well, in the manga he started by killing gangsters and criminals who'd eared a death penalty, though by the end of the first volume he was bumping off cops. So his descent into @$$hole territory admittedly didn't take long.

Maybe he becomes a shinigami?[/Quote]

That would actually be a reward from his perspective. Remember, his stated goal was to "become the God of the new world." Becoming a Shinigami would be the next best thing.

Very true. Ryuk was personally witness to Light Yagami at his worst throughout the series, and in the most recent episode you can see he's somewhat shocked and offended by how Light treats Misa in the middle of the hostage crisis. As for what Ryuk does to Light in the end, he said he'd do it at the very beginning and it just shows he's true to his word.

Very true. Ryuk was personally witness to Light Yagami at his worst throughout the series' date=' and in the most recent episode you can see he's somewhat shocked and offended by how Light treats Misa in the middle of the hostage crisis. As for what Ryuk does to Light in the end, he said he'd do it at the very beginning and it just shows he's true to his word.[/quote']

Okay, but in the manga Light still seemed rather shocked by the whole thing when it happened.

Well' date=' in the manga he started by killing gangsters and criminals who'd eared a death penalty, though by the end of the first volume he was bumping off cops. So his descent into @$$hole territory admittedly didn't take long.[/quote']

Yeah, about ep. 2. :doi:

So' date=' since Light cant go to Heaven or Hell. What happens to his spirit. Does he just chill with the shinigami for eternity? :P[/quote']

Nothing happens to Light's spirit. Literally, nothing. There is no afterlife; once you're dead, that's it. (Mind you, Ryuk may be mistaken, but his people have a rather strong body of evidence.) This is one of the reasons Light freaks so badly at the end.

Nothing happens to Light's spirit. Literally' date=' nothing. There is no afterlife; once you're dead, that's it. (Mind you, Ryuk may be mistaken, but his people have a rather strong body of evidence.) This is one of the reasons Light freaks so badly at the end.

[/quote']

Are you sure? I remember Ryuk telling Light that "everyone goes to the same place when they're dead." That implies that there's something after death.

Are you sure? I remember Ryuk telling Light that "everyone goes to the same place when they're dead." That implies that there's something after death.

I remember something about an afterlife being mentioned as well. Admittedly death being the absolute end does make what Light and others do in the series all the more horrific but I recall it coming up.

I remember something about an afterlife being mentioned as well. Admittedly death being the absolute end does make what Light and others do in the series all the more horrific but I recall it coming up.

That could be a real problem for Light, too, if he winds up in the same place as the hundreds of people he killed. Especially if his old pal, Ryuk, clues them in.

That could be a real problem for Light' date=' too, if he winds up in the same place as the hundreds of people he killed. Especially if his old pal, Ryuk, clues them in.[/quote']

But it would be so very very poetic.

I thought up a cool crossover the other day.

Light Yagami on one of the Law&Orders. :doi: Come on, we wont have to worry about anybody getting shot on the courthouse steps........they'd just have heart attacks instead. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

The Death Note is sort of an ultimate expression of Name and True Name magic. And given that modern society primarily is very public about a person's true name, someone with such an artifact would be incredibly hard to counter. But I believe it could be done.

Name magic is dependant on knowing a target's name. The Shinigami eyes allow seeing even a concealed target's name. But there has to be a way of protection of a person's true name. Some counter-pell.

The original L and Near operated anonymously. Under a great deal of concealment of their identities. This allowed them to evade being targeted for quite awhile. So to counter the Death Note, anonymity is really the key when it comes to investigation.

This is definitely not something fit for a superhero game, however. As killing the owner of the Death Note before finding and destroying the Death Note would be the only real way to make certain that owner doesn't have hidden pieces. And if there are hidden pieces, that could mean that the nightmare wouldn't end, because the killings could just continue without the main notebook.

This is definitely not something fit for a superhero game' date=' however. As killing the owner of the Death Note before finding and destroying the Death Note would be the only real way to make certain that owner doesn't have hidden pieces. And if there are hidden pieces, that could mean that the nightmare wouldn't end, because the killings could just continue without the main notebook.[/quote']

Though, if you're doing mystic or very high-powered superheroes, they could always go and get Death Him/Herself (or someone of similar power) to come and straighten things out.

Even better: in the Marvel-verse, tell Thanos about the thing and who has it. Then just follow him. When he grabs it, beat him up and then destroy it. Hey, how hard can it be to defeat Thanos? Squirrel Girl whipped him, for crying out loud.

The Death Note is sort of an ultimate expression of Name and True Name magic. And given that modern society primarily is very public about a person's true name, someone with such an artifact would be incredibly hard to counter. But I believe it could be done.

Name magic is dependant on knowing a target's name. The Shinigami eyes allow seeing even a concealed target's name. But there has to be a way of protection of a person's true name. Some counter-pell.

The original L and Near operated anonymously. Under a great deal of concealment of their identities. This allowed them to evade being targeted for quite awhile. So to counter the Death Note, anonymity is really the key when it comes to investigation.

This is definitely not something fit for a superhero game, however. As killing the owner of the Death Note before finding and destroying the Death Note would be the only real way to make certain that owner doesn't have hidden pieces. And if there are hidden pieces, that could mean that the nightmare wouldn't end, because the killings could just continue without the main notebook.

Dang, now this makes me wonder why they dont run of pages. (Course, the easy answer is it is a magic type item, but still....this is gonna drive me nuts for a few minutes :rolleyes:)

• 2 weeks later...