N-Ray Perception or Spatial Awareness

dropblack

I know this is minutia, and probably not even worth mentioning, but I can’t tell the difference between N-Ray Perception and Spatial Awareness, as described on page 352 (Revised). Under the description of N-Ray Perception the example of “hearing so precise it can detect minute shifts in air currents that indicate what things are and where they’re located” sounds more like a Daredevil-like Spatial Awareness to me. In such a case does N-Ray Perception function in 360 Degrees?

On the other hand the idea of Spatial Awareness (to me) seems as if it should by default function in 360 degrees, but the description explicitly states otherwise… I’m guessing that once I understand the rules a little better I’ll know how to create my own versions of x-ray vision and spatial awareness.

Re: N-Ray Perception or Spatial Awareness

N-Ray Vision permits the user to see through objects; Superman's X-Ray Vision is the classic example of this.

Spatial Awareness does not penetrate walls. This would be one way (but not the only way) to build Daredevil's "radar" sense. Spatial Awareness is not 360° unless you purchase the appropriate Adder.

Spatial Awareness is not 360 because all Senses assume you will either place them in a Sense Group, utilizing the Simulated Sense rules or Create an Unusual Sense. Either way the default in HERO is to assume a Sensory Point (like your eyes) by default and build otherwise from there (the Radio and Touch groups have 360 by default).

If your Spatial Awareness were defined as "Ranged Super Touch" then it would have 360. If your Spatial Awareness were defined as Passive Sonar it would not.

Spatial Awareness does not penetrate walls.

Actually, Spatial Awareness does penetrate walls. You might think of it as inherently "n-ray". The fact is, that all N-Ray Perception is, is Spatial Awareness without Targeting and attached to an existing Sense Group.

What I've never understood is why Spatial Awareness has no Range.

I know this is minutia' date=' and probably not even worth mentioning, but I can’t tell the difference between N-Ray Perception and Spatial Awareness, as described on page 352 (Revised). [/color']Under the description of N-Ray Perception the example of “hearing so precise it can detect minute shifts in air currents that indicate what things are and where they’re located†sounds more like a Daredevil-like Spatial Awareness to me. In such a case does N-Ray Perception function in 360 Degrees?

On the other hand the idea of Spatial Awareness (to me) seems as if it should by default function in 360 degrees, but the description explicitly states otherwise… I’m guessing that once I understand the rules a little better I’ll know how to create my own versions of x-ray vision and spatial awareness.

Well, not all cases of Spatial Awareness would be 360 degrees. Imagine a golem, animated through magic. It has no eyes, but it does have a mystical sense of it's surroundings that cannot be fooled by invisibility. But it can't see behind it, only in the direction its head is facing.

Anyway, I'm not sure if it helps, but to create a Daredevilish "radar" I've typically just put Targeting on Normal Hearing (which is already 360 and quasi N-Ray). To create something more elaborate (and to accomplish more sensory tricks), I'll use Spatial Awareness and apply it to the Hearing Group (and save points on the Sense adder).

What I've never understood is why Spatial Awareness has no Range.

Probably because the most common Sense Groups you'd attach it to (under the Simulated Sense Group ruling, which I personally love to death) come with Range.

Hearind and Radio both do and those are two of the more common Groups you'd place Spacial Awareness under.

Touch on the other hand, being probably the most common Group for Spacial Awareness, has no Range.

This subject is discussed at length in this thread:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23353&highlight=Spatial+Awareness

In summary however, Spatial Awareness is N-Ray.

Its a powerful ability, particularly vs opponents based on Sense Affecting Powers that didnt think to include Spatial Awareness in their affected senses selection.

If not using a Simulated Sense Group you need to make it Ranged.

Probably because the most common Sense Groups you'd attach it to (under the Simulated Sense Group ruling, which I personally love to death) come with Range.

Hearind and Radio both do and those are two of the more common Groups you'd place Spacial Awareness under.

Touch on the other hand, being probably the most common Group for Spacial Awareness, has no Range.

Then let me amend my statement:

What I've never understood is why Spatial Awareness has Sense, but not Range.