Build me a Satellite

Eyendasky80

Does anyone have any sweet builds for orbital satellite telemetry? I think that's the right term for those pictures from space used to track people. Or perhaps a link to a past thread on it? Or you could tell me which book would contain the info? OR all of the above? Also, liked to see how some other people build GPS.

Re: Build me a Satellite

I usually just use Absolute Direction Sense for GPS.

Satelites able to take pictures of people: Telescopic, enough to get from orbit to the desired detail level. Eidetic Memory is a good way to simulate taking a picture and store it. HRRP with Transmit to get the picture back down to where someone on Earth can view it.

Ironically' date=' while a GPS receiver can tell you where you are, it CANNOT tell you what direction you are facing. I'd say that a GPS receiver would be Detect Location on Earth, OAF, Requires GPS Signal.[/quote']

Yeah, but everyone I've seen have a little arrow on the screen pointing which direction is North on the map ... and while it isn't perfect it is relatively simple to tell where North is once you've oriented yourself to the map.

Or assume it has a built in Compass.

Your build works however, so I'm not trying to say it doesn't.

I've done a GPS device as a limited Radio Transmit/Receive, usually with a focus. The Limitation value I use for GPS Signal Only is a -1, so with an OAF such a device will cost 3 points.

For the taking pictures thing: Clairsentience with Sight Group, LOTS of extra range plus a Limitation "Perception Point Must Be Outside Looking Down"

The satellite is sfx to my mind: I'd build this as clairsentience (sight group), retrocognition (it has a memory for the places it has been) enough megascale to cover the world and a custom lim (only places/times the satellite was overhead. You can build in extra senses if you want, and you don't have to worry about buying telescopic - if the satellite can/could see it - so can you.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, but everyone I've seen have a little arrow on the screen pointing which direction is North on the map ... and while it isn't perfect it is relatively simple to tell where North is once you've oriented yourself to the map.

Or assume it has a built in Compass.

Your build works however, so I'm not trying to say it doesn't.

Granted, if you know where you are, then you can display a map of the area, from which you can determine direction.

Also, putting an electronic compass into the same unit as the GPS reciever would certainly be easy enough.

Or , you could start moving, and assume that you are facing the same direction that you're moving.

I was just trying to point out that there is no way to extract directional information directly from a GPS reading.

Zeropoint