Golden Age Day Jobs

Supreme

Re: Golden Age Day Jobs

Bounty Hunter - lots of villains will have rewards offered for them, right? :)

Bounty hunter is an under-used logical Superhero job. There are a few, but really, how much would the federal government offer for the capture of some lunatic who'd stollen a few nukes or built a death ray? Catch one maniac and your bills could be paid for a decade or more.

In the Global Guardians Golden Age campaign we have:

a librarian (Arcana)

a princess of Atlantis (Atlantia)

a mechanic (Barnstormer) and his sidekick rich kid (Tailgunner)

an archaeologist (Cliffhanger)

a soldier (Gravity Man)

a reporter (Mask of Justice)

a retiree (Uncle Sam)

a hero NPC that they've encountered is an ex-boxer sports columnist (Lawdog)

Neil

Bounty hunter is an under-used logical Superhero job. There are a few' date=' but really, how much would the federal government offer for the capture of some lunatic who'd stollen a few nukes or built a death ray?[/quote']

Zero, actually -- bounty hunters aren't paid by the government, they're paid by the bail bondsmen who would otherwise be out their money if Dr. Death skipped his bail, and the bounty hunter fee is set as a percentage of said bail. (i.e. -- the bondsman would rather keep 75% or 90% of the bail, losing the rest to pay the bounty hunter, rather than be out all 100% 'cause the dude bail jumped.)

The US government probably doesn't let Dr. Death *have* bail... at least, not if he's stolen nukes or built a city-smasher-gun. :)

My favorite day jobs for heroes are ones in which they can apply their powers to make the job quick so they have plenty of time for superheroics. For a speedster character this could be about anything really, but other ones I have used are:

Character with elemental earth powers who created fantastic jewelry.

Telekinetic who could use a AoE TK to repair stuff (actually bought as a Transform) who bought old houses, fixed them up, and then sold them.

Character who could created various chemical compounds as a mutant power who was a drug dealer (okay, she was a villain, but you could make her a pharmacist or a supplier of chemicals to research companies).

Delivery service for any hero with good movement powers.

Character with druid-type powers who was a landscape artist/gardener.

Empath who was an excellent veternarian (both for soothing animals and through empathic healing).

Psychic who made a killing on the stock market (but could not do so unchecked without bringing on governement investigators looking for insider trading deals).

I am sure there are others.

"I don't want to stop crime. I just want to fight it." - Tick

Zero, actually -- bounty hunters aren't paid by the government, they're paid by the bail bondsmen who would otherwise be out their money if Dr. Death skipped his bail, and the bounty hunter fee is set as a percentage of said bail. (i.e. -- the bondsman would rather keep 75% or 90% of the bail, losing the rest to pay the bounty hunter, rather than be out all 100% 'cause the dude bail jumped.)

The US government probably doesn't let Dr. Death *have* bail... at least, not if he's stolen nukes or built a city-smasher-gun. :)

So what would the job description be for a character who made his money collecting the bounties offered by the government on Osama Bin Laden types?

So what would the job description be for a character who made his money collecting the bounties offered by the government on Osama Bin Laden types?

Well, given that those rewards don't require you to actually drag in the sucker yourself(*), but merely provide "information leading to the arrest and conviction of", the technical term would actually be 'snitch'. :)

For example, the aforementioned Osama reward -- you don't have to haul him in yourself to collect that $25 million, you merely have to tell the US government where he is, and be accurate enough that Osama is still there when they get there.

(*) Although if you *did* do that, they would presumably still pay you. After all, 'He's right here in front of you.' is a valid piece of information. :)

Well, given that those rewards don't require you to actually drag in the sucker yourself(*), but merely provide "information leading to the arrest and conviction of", the technical term would actually be 'snitch'. :)

For example, the aforementioned Osama reward -- you don't have to haul him in yourself to collect that $25 million, you merely have to tell the US government where he is, and be accurate enough that Osama is still there when they get there.

(*) Although if you *did* do that, they would presumably still pay you. After all, 'He's right here in front of you.' is a valid piece of information. :)

I'd be willing to see "snitch" added to a list of Superhero jobs. But, if it were my character, I'd still call him a "Bounty Hunter". ;)