Golden Age Day Jobs

Supreme

(I can't remember if there's been a thread for this already. Please post a link if there has.)

I'm writing some background stuff for a Golden Age campaign and I'm looking for day jobs for super-heroes. So far I have research scientist, dilettante, freelance reporter, and WWI veteran. Keep in mind that I have a couple of rules. The day job has to have flexible hours so the hero can take off on a moment's notice and save the world. The day job also cannot involve significant monitoring by the government.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Golden Age Day Jobs

Cabbie.

Remember that back in the Golden Age there was often the unspoken "color barrier", so some things that might come to mind (shoeshine boy, baggage handler, etc.) were generally divided along racial lines.

Contract Killer.

Seriously, I'm stumped. I mean, most jobs existed then, right? Cept computer stuff. How about Dock Laborer? Captain Marvel did that when he lost his job at Whiz Radio. What about adventurer? Love to see that resume.

"So for the last seven years, you've been working as an 'adventurer?'"

"Yes, sir."

"And that pays...?"

"Action is my reward."

"I'm just going to mark, 'unemployed' for now."

"Whatever."

How about Archeologist?

Detective such as Sam Slade and Shamus. Dr. Occult is a good example

Stage Magician-Zatarra

Engineer(not train engineer) on desiging bridges, dams, and buildings. Alan Scott was an engineer.

Artist such as Norman Rockwell. Captain America was one.

Archeologist-Hawkman or Indiana Jones

Museum Curator-I think this is the job of getting displays for a museum.

Well' date=' any job where you punch a time clock ... which is a pulp-era icon thing for Normal America ... isn't going to work under Supreme's guidelines.[/quote']

I guess it all depends on how "realistic" you need to be. Clark Kent, to make it as a reporter in a major paper, should have been putting in at least 50+ hours per week even in the 1930s-40s. On the other hand, he didn't need to sleep (by the end of the Golden Age), spent most of his time out of the office, and had Super Speed going for him. Bruce, well, his company seemed to be in the hands of people who didn't want to rob him blind while he was chasing muggers. Diana started as a Nurse, so I'm not sure how she managed it. Eventually she was working in a poorly defined position for Military Intelligence, so we can assume that she was "on assignment" most of the time, or that Steve was covering for her.

Being a veteran is a job?

Entertainer is the first one that springs to mind. Novelist. Traveling salesman. Tinker (itinerate mechanic). Private Detective. Bum.

Good point about the veteran. I guess I was thinking more about background than job on that one. I'm primarily trying to steer people away from having anything to do with the military as a day job (i.e., being a member of the armed forces) as the demands of time and government monitoring make it impractical to the point of impossibility.

I don't see entertainer or singer as especially viable. They have somewhat fluid schedules, but once a date is set it's set, or your out of work.

Freelance artist works for me. It would be especially cute if based upon artists from the time. The trick would be to keep yourself freelance. During the war the comic companies had high demand for product, but their best people were getting drafted. (I've been reading "Tales to Astonish".)

I added PI. Traveling salesman is interesting. You'd be the butt of Fuller Brush jokes, but...

I don't see entertainer or singer as especially viable. They have somewhat fluid schedules, but once a date is set it's set, or your out of work.

Freelance artist works for me. It would be especially cute if based upon artists from the time. The trick would be to keep yourself freelance. During the war the comic companies had high demand for product, but their best people were getting drafted. (I've been reading "Tales to Astonish".)

I added PI. Traveling salesman is interesting. You'd be the butt of Fuller Brush jokes, but...

Entertainer was actually a popular job for Golden Age heroes. Billy Batson had his radio show, Mandrake and Zatarra both did stage shows, I think Black Canary sung but I'd have to look it up.

Glad you liked Travelling Salesman. It's the perfect job if you need to vanish for a few days, and you can always ask the Millionaire Playboy for some help without having to worry about what the neighbors or tax man might think.

Entertainer was actually a popular job for Golden Age heroes. Billy Batson had his radio show, Mandrake and Zatarra both did stage shows, I think Black Canary sung but I'd have to look it up.

Glad you liked Travelling Salesman. It's the perfect job if you need to vanish for a few days, and you can always ask the Millionaire Playboy for some help without having to worry about what the neighbors or tax man might think.

Yeah, I know that a lot of Golden Age people worked entertainment jobs, but I am favoring jobs more that don't have rigid schedules like daily radio shows.

Entertainer was actually a popular job for Golden Age heroes. Billy Batson had his radio show' date=' Mandrake and Zatarra both did stage shows, I think Black Canary sung but I'd have to look it up.[/quote']

Black Canary owned a flower shop, IIRC. You're thinking of the Black Canary 'homage' on the original Squadron Supreme, who was a nightclub singer before gaining her sonic powers, I think. (And that's well past the GA.)

The invaluable "The World At War" supplement Mayfair Games published for their DC Heroes RPG back in 1991 contains a list of DC's Golden Age heroes, including their occupations.

Some have been listed above, but I'm not going to try to weed them out.

A fair few of them seem to be vulnerable to the draft.

District Attorney (& lawyer in general, I guess)

"former Athlete/former Janitor(!)"

Physics Student

US Senator(!)

Army Pilot

US Marine

Publisher

Chauffeur

Archeologist

Physician

Private Investigator

Chemist

Playboy

Debutante/Vulcanologist

Research Scientist

Apprentice Shaman

Student

Broadcasting Executive

Policeman

Newsreel Photographer

"Various" - "Boxing champion, rodeo cowboy, sailor, G-Man, crimefighter" and idiot.

Soldier/Espionage Agent

Journalist

Big Game Hunter

Radio Announcer

Newspaper Reporter

former Special Prosecutor/Private Investigator

Businessman

Student/Writer

Debutante

Assistant District Attorney

Scientist

Performer

Assistant Museum Curator

Police Detective

Novelist

Thief

High School Teacher

Spirit of Liberty(!)

Singer/Actor

Millionaire

Prizefighter

Stage Magician

Obviously, being young or female helps - neither are subject to the draft. Being a mystic entity without a "real" Secret ID is handy too, as is being legally blind! Nobody is going to conscript Dr Mid-Nite!

Black Canary owned a flower shop' date=' IIRC. You're thinking of the Black Canary 'homage' on the original Squadron Supreme, who was a nightclub singer before gaining her sonic powers, I think. (And that's well past the GA.)[/quote']

I recall BC owned a flower shop in the retcon mini, Justice League Year One. Was that based on the original or is that what you're talking about?

Black Canary owned a flower shop' date=' IIRC. You're thinking of the Black Canary 'homage' on the original Squadron Supreme, who was a nightclub singer before gaining her sonic powers, I think. (And that's well past the GA.)[/quote']

Yup, sounds likely.

A couple of variations on the "Playboy" model:

Newspaper Publisher: The editors and managers actually run the day-to-day for you, but you have the perfect excuse for hanging around for breaking news to arrive.

Hotel Owner: Again, hire a competent manager, so you don't have to be there full-time. Great for having visitors come to where you can spy on them.

hmmm...

Superman was a reporter. So were Johnny Quick and the Ray

Captain Marvel was a radio host.

Batman, Sandman, Starman, Mr. Terrific, Green Arrow, the Star Spangled Kid, the Crimson Avenger and Hourman owned their own companies/were independently wealthy. Phantom Lady was independently wealthy.

Stripesy was the Star Spangled Kid's chauffer

Vigilante was an entertainer.

Red Tornado was a housewife

Kid sidekicks were students.

Wonder Woman was a nurse

Green Lantern was a radio engineer

Atom was a student

Doctor Midnite was a consulting physician

Flash was a research scientist. I think the Human Bomb and Dollman were as well.

Hawkman and Dr Fate were archaeologists

Johnny Thunder was a day labourer (lots of part-time work)

The Spectre was a police detective. Plastic Man was an FBI agent

Black Canary owned a flower shop

Wasn't Black Condor a senator?

Uncle Sam was the Spirit of America.

Wildcat was a prizefighter

Captain America was a soldier.

Robotman, Sub-Mariner and the Human Torch had no jobs. I don't think the Shining Knight did either.

Mind you, most golden age crimes could be solved in the evening or with an occasional day off. On occasion, the heroes had to take a leave of absence.

Yeah' date=' I know that a lot of Golden Age people worked entertainment jobs, but I am favoring jobs more that don't have rigid schedules like daily radio shows.[/quote']

I think you need to look primarily at the self-employed in that case. In most cases, even if you're not punching a time clock your employer is going to expect you to be at your desk/on the assembly line/etc full time.

A freelance writer of fiction and non-fiction, whether short stories or features or novels, is a good one. (Hell's Angel, one of my current online RPG characters is a novelist when she's not fighting crime.) You make your own hours, and it doesn't matter if you work every day or spend marathon sessions typing madly every few days...as long as the work gets done. It also makes a great cover for asking nosey questions, rather like the classic reporter schtick--"I'm working on a story and I need to know...."

As a variation on reporter, Newspaper Columnist or something similar like Crossword Writer. Have a few extra generic columns/crosswords/etc. lying around for when you need to go to the Congo for a few weeks.

Some jobs become a lot less of a burden if you can do them in private with superspeed too. ;) Editor, proofreader, groundskeeper, etc. are all a piece of cake if you're the Flash.

Bounty Hunter - lots of villains will have rewards offered for them, right? :)

Taxidermist.