Today’s neophyte question; Clips & Charges

dropblack

Re: Today’s neophyte question; Clips & Charges

If 20 suited your concept better than 32. :) That's all there is to it, really. There are lots of quantity-based Advantages and Limitations that could probably be broken down into, for example, "more than +1/4 but less than +1/2" if the system made such fine distinctions.

Sometimes you just want something that "feels" right even if, from a mechanical standpoint, it makes no difference. There's no Skill or Perception Roll benefit to having an Intelligence of 19 instead of 18, but perhaps you simply want your character to be than much "smarter."

If 20 suited your concept better than 32. :)

There are a number of instances where we (kind of a royal "we") have ported some stuff from RL. There are cases where the RL counterpart may have 20 charges.

There also has to be room for something other than min/maxing (aka Munchkinin). Just because you CAN get 32 for the same value doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Well you might be modelling a real world gun that has 20 bullets in a clip, so you'd take the 20 not the 32. In a superhero game, where you buy everything and it is 'custom equipmemt' you probably never would: in a heroic game where consistency with the real world is more important you would take the 20.

Oh, and 'Hello! Welcome to the Hero boards' :)

In fact, some players (myself included) take pride in the fact that they're willing to NOT get the maximum for their points for the sake of keeping with the character concept. Some (powergamers/min-maxers) might say it's a waste of points while others (roleplayers) applaud it.

I applaud it.

Thanks for the responses. Just what I'd thought and hoped would be the answers. I'm taking my time in preparing a sort of gritty supers game, but, being new to the system, am a little intimidated by the versatility (which is also the reason why I'm attracted to it). I know, for example that I'm definitely going to have to impose limits and restrictions during my players' character-creation process, because they are min-max artists. I may have to ask you all for some advice in regards to such restrictions as things develop.

Once again, thanks!