GURPS - more like us every day...

Black Rose

I haven't really had the chance (or the cash) to pick up any of the GURPS 4th Ed books, though I intend to as soon as DOJ stops making good books.:D

However, I'm a subscriber to Pyramid, and in their most recent "issue" there's an article about making Psionics a little simpler. They have to, see, since they have all these choices....

Anyway, my point is that they mention that, should you have two (or more) powers, and one is simply a more powerful version of the other, you can make one an Alternative Ability, where you can switch back and forth. And guess what? It only costs one point for every five! Isn't that great? Who could have come up with such an innova--

Oh, wait, that's right. We've been doing that for years now. Silly me.

Re: GURPS - more like us every day...

Steve Jackson has never denied that GURPS owes a large debt to the HERO system, but the fact remains that HERO and GURPS are very much distinct systems. GURPS retains its true emphasis which is its skill system.

The issue you are discussing the Alternate Ability Rule, I find to be very distinct from the HERO implementation of Multipowers despite some similarity.

....and oddly enough I think it is the skill system that could do with an overhaul in Hero. Roll on TUS!

On the one hand there are only a limited number of types of mechanic out there, but on the other, I think there are an awful lot of games, not just GURPS that owes a lot to Hero.

Bear in mind that when Champions first appeared there really was nothing like it, and it was nothing like anything else - there is genuine innovation, and it has continued.

The thing I keep seeing one way or another in other systems is our treatment of martial arts - each manoeurve being a little package of bonuses and penalties. Now maybe we cribbed that from somewhere else, but I saw it here first, when the old martial arts system changed from being simply a skill sfx strength multiplier.

Yep, I mentioned this in my GURPS 4th Edition Review. What I do not like is that many of the idea are to open to interpretation, require concensus, and constant open book reviews.

This is something Hero System has managed to avoid completely IMOHO as the Game Mechanics are right on you character sheet. Little or no book reviewing which kills gaming for me.

Ah yep, ah huh, you betcha

QM

You might be interested in Franklin W. Cain's extensive House Rules for Skills. He's reworked the 5E Skill system fairly comprehensively, as well as provided a huge list of Background Skills covering every genre and era.

Back on the original topic of the thread, if you take a look at the recent GURPS Powers supplement you'll see tremendous influence from the HERO Powers model, in terms of taking generic Powers and customizing them to suit desired effects. It's a far more flexible approach than GURPS' previous unique model for each genre or setting. From the buzz I've heard and read, this book has GURPS players really excited. :)

Oh nothing too complicated (at first...)

Use the combat resolution system: Characteristic/3 +skill levels = SCV (skill competence value). All basic tasks have a SDV (Skill difficulty value) of 11: more for harder tasks...

I have other cunning plans, I'll try and list soon... :)

You might be interested in Franklin W. Cain's extensive House Rules for Skills. He's reworked the 5E Skill system fairly comprehensively, as well as provided a huge list of Background Skills covering every genre and era.

Back on the original topic of the thread, if you take a look at the recent GURPS Powers supplement you'll see tremendous influence from the HERO Powers model, in terms of taking generic Powers and customizing them to suit desired effects. It's a far more flexible approach than GURPS' previous unique model for each genre or setting. From the buzz I've heard and read, this book has GURPS players really excited. :)

I had a copy of that book, and naturally it disappeared as soon as my back was turned. If my current job-hunt works, I'm going to try and figure out how to buy some of the core RPG books in the various systems and find some way to KEEP them.

I was somewhat disappointed in the lack of more concrete construction examples, actually. And there are NO sample characters anywhere in the book. I would have liked to see The Poet, the hero in one of the sample chapter-opening prose features, written up.

The point-based game that I am REALLY curious to see how it will change in its next edition is Big Eyes, Small Mouth. I should have the PDF of the 3rd Edition relatively soon, assuming no furhter delays. GOO really seems to have embnarced a sort of template-based character creation model, which isn't something I especially care for in point-based systems....

I've already gone ahead and expanded the skill system somewhat - specifically, I needed it to go well beyond the normal "15-" because it becomes far too cheap to make yourself G-dlike in your ability, especially built on Heroic points where your focus is buying up stats and skills, since equipment is purchased via cash.

The only changes I've made so far are making it clear that there's no longer simply a set difficulty, but an expanded difficulty table (up to -20, maybe more) and that I'll be enforcing a Margin of Success - 3, 5, 8, 11, and so on. So extremely tricky stunts could require both a distinct difficulty mod, AND a margin of success.

Beyond that I'm waiting for TUS.