So what's the deal with Fantasy Hero?

Green Knight

I know jack squat about the game world, but I'm interested in finding out more. So what's the deal with it? I.E....

1) What races are in it?

2) What're the nations, and what's their character?

3) Do you make characters from scratch, or do they have something akin to classes from D&D? As in "You buy this point package in order to be a Wizard". Something like that?

Appreciate any and all help in this, as I'm debating on whether I should buy it or not.

You'll probably get a better and more specific answer from the Steve when he has time, but here's what I understand.

The Fantasy Hero book won't be a world-specific book -- it'll be more like the D&D 3rd Ed Player's Handbook (plus the Dungeon Master's Guide). It'll let you build whatever fantasy world you want, or make whatever character you want. From what I recall of the vague description of contents, there will be example character packages (for Wizard or whatever), but they'll be something pretty customizable for whatever fantasy world you're running.

As far as specific world content (e.g. TSR's Greyhawk setting), I believe Hero is coming out with a separate setting book to cover that. I have no idea what their world will be like, although I gather that the free PDF describes their multi-genre Hero setting.

But the great thing about the Hero system is that you don't have to used the published material if you don't want to -- you can even use other source material for it. In fact, I had great success in using Steve Jackson Games' IST superhero setting using the Hero system.

Hope that helps!

BlackCobra has done an excellent job filling in the basics.

Fantasy HERO is one of our HERO System "genre books." A genre book takes a thorough look at a given genre for gaming, exploring its subgenres, themes, elements, and possibilities. It describes how to simulate all of this stuff in HERO System terms, but the basic information is helpful for anyone gaming in that genre.

Genre books aren't tied to a particular setting, so in the case of FH, there are no specific nations, races, or magic system. However, there's a chapter with over 60 sample racial, professional, cultural, and environmental Package Deals that you can use as-is or adapt for your own campaign. There's a lengthy chapter on creating Fantasy worlds, civilizations and kingdoms that looks at all sorts of issues (economics, demographics, religion, technology...). There's an even lengthier chapter on magic -- how to create a magic system, how to create spells, how to create magic items, and so on.

Think of it this way: the HERO System rules are a toolkit that let you build whatever you want for gaming. A genre book, like FH, is a sort of "instruction manual" showing you how you can use those tools to create things for a particular genre, like Fantasy.

I, too, am eagerly awaiting the arrival of Fantasy Hero. (Does it show? :)

I actually started up a Primal Order campaign where the players played gods and helped create a new world ... which will lead to the Fantasy Hero campaign I hope to be running soon. Unfortunately, it didn't exactly turn out as planned (I almost posted it in the Doomed Campaigns thread), but I think I can salvage a fun fantasy campaign out of it.