Mini Review: The Ultimate Metamorph & Until Superpowers Database II

Enforcer84

Got both of these books this week. I have to say I like them!

The Super Powers Database:

Smaller than the first but that's to be expected. The art was hit and miss, again, to be expected but they did include sidebars for the art like the first one did and that was welcome and adds quite a bit of personality to the series. Many of the powers were taken from the Online Superpowers DB that we HERO fans got to contribute to; which is very gratifying for this HEROphile's ego. THe powers added were neat, often fitting into tight niches, but you gotta love the "Planetary Force Shield"...One of it's varients should be on every Galactus write up we do...

The Ultimate Metamorph:

This book covered alot more than I was expecting it too. It breaks down the idea of a metamorph into five or six catagories and gives each a bit of time in the spotlight. Again in the powers section were some sweet ideas. The "Duplication" powers what were not made via the duplication power were keen. I also like the optional powers "Alter Density and Alter Size" and hope they make a future HD update. The extent Steve took Density Increase was damn cool. I loved the bashing damage (also in Utlimate Brick I believe) and the Personal Gravity options were neat too. There's some serious cosmic level stuff going on here; just see the section on entering the Macroverse! Then to wind the book down were metamorph NPCs for several genres and a small beastiary. If I have a complaint at all it's that most of the "named" NPC's; tended towards at best selfish and larcenous behavior. There were no beacons of light among that group. There was "art reuse" but for the first time in a while I found that the new art overall was quite nice.

All said and done that was a nice HERO pick up for yours truely.

USPDII :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Ultimate Metamorph:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Re: Mini Review: The Ultimate Metamorph & Until Superpowers Database II

Glad you're enjoying the books!

the Personal Gravity options

Just to echo what the book's credit page says, I have to give full credit for that stuff to Dr. Anomaly and ajackson (I think I got that last handle right). I could have come up with something of the sort on my own, but it probably wouldn't have been nearly as detailed or scientifically rigorous. Thanx, guys!

Got both of these books this week. I have to say I like them!

The Ultimate Metamorph:

This book covered alot more than I was expecting it too. It breaks down the idea of a metamorph into five or six catagories and gives each a bit of time in the spotlight. Again in the powers section were some sweet ideas. The "Duplication" powers what were not made via the duplication power were keen. I also like the optional powers "Alter Density and Alter Size" and hope they make a future HD update. The extent Steve took Density Increase was damn cool. I loved the bashing damage (also in Utlimate Brick I believe) and the Personal Gravity options were neat too. There's some serious cosmic level stuff going on here; just see the section on entering the Macroverse! Then to wind the book down were metamorph NPCs for several genres and a small beastiary. If I have a complaint at all it's that most of the "named" NPC's; tended towards at best selfish and larcenous behavior. There were no beacons of light among that group. There was "art reuse" but for the first time in a while I found that the new art overall was quite nice.

All said and done that was a nice HERO pick up for yours truely.

Ultimate Metamorph:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks for the reviews. I am SO looking forward to getting these books!

Dang it, I'm getting tired of waiting for my comic shop to get this book. If they "forgot" to order it like they've done before, it'll be a toss-up between my just going to HG or Noble Knight for it, or simply crushing the owner's skull right then and there from a frustration-inspired berserkergang (Enraged: Berserk when "I forgot to order the Hero Books again", go 14-, rec. 8-; Common...)

And if it's not giving anything away, what are the five or six metamorph categories?

THe powers added were neat' date=' often fitting into tight niches, but you gotta love the "Planetary Force Shield"...One of it's varients should be on every Galactus write up we do...[/quote']I'm glad you liked that one (one of my many contributions -- I think I had more material in that book than Steve). Galactus and Silver Surfer was exactly what I was thinking of when I came up with it.