Comparing starship speeds.

Badger

Re: Comparing starship speeds.

I agree. BSG's "FTL drive" IMO functions not as a "speed magnifier" like in SW or ST, but as a "jump drive". Little if any time is spent "in transit", though you did go from point A to point B in less time than light took. Thus it's called an FTL Drive.

I missed the last episode, so this may have already been resolved, but I have to make the following comment:

Galactica vs Pegasus? I'll put 20 on Galactica!

Galactica would win in my opinion. Cain doesn't have a fleet of ships to back her up while Adama does. Granted the ships in the fleet are civilian but they are armed, for the most part, and could lash out with a few weapons before being destroyed. The other thing is that the Pegasus lacks nukes while the Galactica has 3 nukes left.

Spoiler Warning

At the end of the season 2.5's first episode Cain was killed not by Starbuck and Adama wasn't killed by Cain's marines. The person who killed Cain was Gina that Gaius helped to escape from Pegasus' brig by distracting the guard.

I remember me and another of my friends talking about the warp speed (Star Trek) and hyperspeed (Star Wars). And trying to figure if it was the same' date=' one faster, what have you. Any thoughts?[/quote']

IMHO, Speed in Star Wars is generally much faster. In Star Trek, when you are traveling at high speeds (large Warp Numbers), the stars in your forward viewer drift quickly off the screen. In Star Wars, they stream past in vast numbers. Therefor, either Star Wars stars are much closer together (quite possible if the galaxy is a globular cluster), or the speeds are higher.

Occasionally, Star Trek was faster. The first example I can think of was from the original series, where aliens modified the enterprise to travel to a nearby galaxy.

And just to mess everything up, the Millenium Falcon's hyperdrives are broken in "Empire", so they can't jump anywhere. Instead, they have to find a repair facility--Lando's Cloud City on Bespin. Problem is, it's in another star system altogether, so the trip would have to be done sublight. That they manage to do it in anything shorter than several hundred years either shows that Bespin is part of the Hoth system, or that the "speed of drama" truly is faster than hyperdrive jumps, and definitely functions in normal space.

Of course, it's easy to overlook this bit of plot, because the rest of the movie is so enjoyable.

JoeG

*Now, if I can only believe that Jack Bauer can drive across the LA basin in 5 minutes, I can enjoy "24".

I think it's a case of no one caring. Star Wars frequently seems to have a Flash Gordon take on space. Once you're "up there", it's full of planets. At the time, I figured that Bespin was the planet of a companion star of a binary (or more) pair. Maybe a month or two away at most just under c.

Now I realize that Lucas & Co. just didn't care.

Keith "Better than a submarine trip through a planet core at least" Curtis

Actually, the way that Warp speed was handled in both the original series and

movies, it was equal to the speed of light times the cube of the Warp Factor

(Warp 1 was equal to the speed of light, Warp 2 was 8 times lightspeed, Warp

3 was 27 times lightspeed, et cetera).

I once read an article on this where they compared several cases from TOS where actual distances, warp speeds and times were mentioned. The Warp Factor formula worked if you add in a fudge variable. The fudge was pretty low in intergalactic space, so even with extreme warp velocities the Kelvins took centuries to make the crossing from Andromeda. Within the galaxy, the fudge variable was drastically different in various places.

If you ignore that this was really a "at the Speed of Plot" difference and accept it as "reality", it implies that Trek-verse space applies a varying multiplier to a ship's warp speed. In that case, trade routes really work because how you get to a place matters. Mapping becomes very important. Some systems will have advantages beyond simple galactic location. And it is conceivable that some regions could have a fudge multiplier so low that you might get there faster in Real Space!

My suggestion, based on the FTL scale in the book, is:

Warp # x 10 = points in FTL.

Warp 1.0 = 1x c

1.2= 2x c

1.4= 4x c

1.6= 8x c

1.8=16x c

2.0=32x c

3.0=1000x c

5.0=1 million x lightspeed(c. 3000LY/day)

7.0=1 billion x lightspeed(able to travel to a nearby galaxy in a day)

9.0=1 trillion x lightspeed(able to go anywhere in the universe in a week)

10.0 would effectively be instantaneous travel to anywhere in the universe

this is not a ST conversion suggestion, just one for creating a useful measuring system.

I really shouldn't do this, but...

Remember Star Trek V? The Enterprise reaches the galactic core in what seems to be a relatively short time, as such things go. Given the distances involved, that does make warp drive pretty darn fast.

(And I say "I shouldn't do this" because there are so many things wrong with that movie -- and I don't mean in just the 'science' sense -- that it makes me cringe to even think about it. But I did. So there. )

I really shouldn't do this, but...

Remember Star Trek V? The Enterprise reaches the galactic core in what seems to be a relatively short time, as such things go. Given the distances involved, that does make warp drive pretty darn fast.

(And I say "I shouldn't do this" because there are so many things wrong with that movie -- and I don't mean in just the 'science' sense -- that it makes me cringe to even think about it. But I did. So there. )

Which makes Voyager all that amazing for how fast it couldn't go. But, you know, when God needs a starship...

JoeG