Standard Effect Idea

The Main Man

Re: Standard Effect Idea

It'd be just like a NND killing attack that doesn't do body. Determine stun damage normally' date=' and ignore body afterwards.[/quote']

Well, according to Hero Designer it's not even an option for Killing Attacks.

(Hero System Fifth Edition Rule Book, page 104; Revised, page 160)

A character may define his
Energy Blast
as a STUN Only attack against PD or ED.

My personal feeling on SER is that a character should be able to switch back and forth at will .. sacraficing spectacular results for a known result that is slightly less than the average roll .. depending on the SFX. Or at the least requiring a Power Skill roll to "adjust" their power to an "even effect" type thing.

But I may be alone in that camp.

That's what I do. Makes combat much faster.

Oh, just call it a Perk already:

Power Reliability (1-3 points): You can choose to apply the Standard Effect Rule to one or more powers that normally have a random Effect Roll.

• At the one-point level this applies to one power or Framework slot you possess.
  • At the two-point level it applies to all powers of a given Special Effect that you possess, or one well-defined (GM's discretion, but by default the Powers and Advantages of the power must be specified) kind of power that you may or may not possess and may use through equipment or other circumstances.
  • At the three-point level it applies to all powers of a given Special Effect that you ever use, both those that you have bought and those you use through circumstance (such as through equipment or when another character lends you a UBO power).

That's a different way of looking at it.

I notice that everyone only uses the Aid SPD idea, but doesn't address things like Draining Energy Blasts, or Suppressing Darkness, etc, in the case of Aid SPD, it may be a lot easier to gain +1 SPD with that Aid, but the inverse is true too: if someone Drains with this advantage at 2d6, it will do the same.

Oh, just call it a Perk already:

Power Reliability (1-3 points): You can choose to apply the Standard Effect Rule to one or more powers that normally have a random Effect Roll.

• At the one-point level this applies to one power or Framework slot you possess.
  • At the two-point level it applies to all powers of a given Special Effect that you possess, or one well-defined (GM's discretion, but by default the Powers and Advantages of the power must be specified) kind of power that you may or may not possess and may use through equipment or other circumstances.
  • At the three-point level it applies to all powers of a given Special Effect that you ever use, both those that you have bought and those you use through circumstance (such as through equipment or when another character lends you a UBO power).

I like this idea the best, I'd call it a Talent though.

I like this idea the best' date=' I'd call it a Talent though.[/quote']

Sounds good. I said Perk because they are costed rather arbitrarily, whereas Talents are now costed based upon fixed Power constructs. Take your pick. (Heck, it might even fit best as a Skill these days, taking such things as WFs, Defense Maneuver, Two-Weapon Fighting, and Rapid Attack as examples.)

• 1 year later...

good god from what i understand its sounds good main man but i think it would be kinda hard to pudt in our games dont you not many people use aids besides in fu right oh and rifts bruce ,jutsuka and q-tip mans hollowen man and hulk hogan well thats four so maybe in wroung ill think on this