Standard Effect Idea

The Main Man

I was just thinking about Standard Effect advantage variants.

The first one is Selective (+1/4), which allows a player to opt for a standard effect or just roll.

The second, which even I somewhat question, is Incremental (+1/4), which allows an Adjustment power to round off if the Standard Effect is applied.

For example, if you are using an Aid SPD 3d6, the Standard Effect is 9, which adds 0.9 to your SPD CHAR. With Incremental (+1/4), it would add 10 instead.

In addition, perhaps there could be a possible setback to this advantage, such as only rounding off to the nearest increment, but not allowing any more points to go past. IOW, it can only add whole increments, no surplus points.

Do your worst.

Re: Standard Effect Idea

37, not 35, but I agree with just buying up the dice a little rather than making a new advantage.

I can't see a problem with the other one, though it might also be too expensive. Still, if it's important to occasionally get a consistent result but you want to be able to roll it the rest of the time, it may be worth it.

My personal feeling on SER is that a character should be able to switch back and forth at will .. sacraficing spectacular results for a known result that is slightly less than the average roll .. depending on the SFX. Or at the least requiring a Power Skill roll to "adjust" their power to an "even effect" type thing.

But I may be alone in that camp.

My personal feeling on SER is that a character should be able to switch back and forth at will .. sacraficing spectacular results for a known result that is slightly less than the average roll .. depending on the SFX. Or at the least requiring a Power Skill roll to "adjust" their power to an "even effect" type thing.

But I may be alone in that camp.

nope, i like that too.

Correct me if I'm too lazy to change my rulings (or look it up) but isn't that how it normally works?

I've always used it that way.

But that could be another case of me 'house ruling.'

EDIT: It's funny. Over the past couple years I've had players pick up FREd and FREdeR and they email me and are all "it says this on page xxx" and I'm all "nah."

Okay, I have the cheesiest, wormiest, most ridiculously munchkin-esque way in the world to buy this.

Ready?

Buy Standard Effect as a Naked Advantage. The cost would be zero (or 1, employing the rule that everything must cost at least one point). But since the Standard Effect is a Naked Advantage -- not part of the Power itself -- you don't always have to use it... :eg::sneaky:

Buy Standard Effect as a Naked Advantage. The cost would be zero (or 1' date=' employing the rule that everything must cost at least one point). But since the Standard Effect is a Naked Advantage -- not part of the Power itself -- you don't always [b']have[/b] to use it... :eg::sneaky:

ooo, catchy.

Oddly, that's really about the right cost for most games, especially for powers rated in a lot of dice. Most of the time you're losing from using this modifier.

Oh, wait, perhaps you weren't entirely serious...

Nope. Under the standard rules' date=' you define it one way or the other when you buy it, and that's what it stays.[/quote']

Oh. Hmmm. How odd.

However, its not often (we only have 1 SE power in all three campaigns) so it's not a real surprise that rule has a little official drift in it.

However' date=' its not often (we only have 1 SE power in all three campaigns) so it's not a real surprise that rule has a little official drift in it.[/quote']

Speaking of which. I think it would be a hoot to get an offical inspection of our rules usage. Have some Steve-ish Type standing behind us making notes whenever we deviate from published rules.

Man would that guy be busy.

Buy Standard Effect as a Naked Advantage. The cost would be zero (or 1' date=' employing the rule that everything must cost at least one point). But since the Standard Effect is a Naked Advantage -- not part of the Power itself -- you don't always [b']have[/b] to use it... :eg::sneaky:

I suspect you weren't being entirely serious with this, Derek, and it is a blatant rules-lawyering sort of build, but...I must confess I admire the thought, and just might use it myself...

RING!

"Hello...yes? Just a moment, please. Uh, Dr. Anomaly? There's a 'Dark Side' on the phone for you..."

The second' date=' which even I somewhat question, is Incremental (+1/4), which allows an Adjustment power to round off if the Standard Effect is applied. [/color']

For example, if you are using an Aid SPD 3d6, the Standard Effect is 9, which adds 0.9 to your SPD CHAR. With Incremental (+1/4), it would add 10 instead.

If it rounds off, wouldn't you be able to get 10 points on your SPD from two dice (standard effect = 6, rounds to 10 for SPD)? So it'd be 2d6 Aid for 20, +1/4 is 25 points.

I don't like it.

On a related note, I made up a (+1/4) advantage while coming up with Human Batteries. They have a Succor 10d6 using Standard Effect, (30pts or thereabouts), and I added the "Extra Control" advantage to say that they can discharge (use the Succor) at whatever rate they want, up to the standard effect.

Does this sound like an appropriately priced Advantage?

I like the Naked Advantage route for 1 point - very cheesy use of the standard rules.

Do we need this advantage? why not just buy a multipower with 2 fixed slots? One has the power at standard effect, the other not at standard effect. Cost = +1/5. That is pretty close to +1/4, so if you feel the need for an advantage, +1/4 is probably a fair price.

Do we need this advantage? why not just buy a multipower with 2 fixed slots? One has the power at standard effect' date=' the other not at standard effect. Cost = +1/5. That is pretty close to +1/4, so if you feel the need for an advantage, +1/4 is probably a fair price.[/quote']The trouble with this would be if you wanted the effect on a Power that was already a slot in a Multipower...

Okay, I have the cheesiest, wormiest, most ridiculously munchkin-esque way in the world to buy this.

Ready?

Buy Standard Effect as a Naked Advantage. The cost would be zero (or 1, employing the rule that everything must cost at least one point). But since the Standard Effect is a Naked Advantage -- not part of the Power itself -- you don't always have to use it... :eg::sneaky:

By that logic, you can purchase Stun Only for 1 pt as a Naked Advantage on your Energy Blast or Killing Attack... :D

Hrm... Stun Only and/or Standard Effect as 1pt NA's for your main attacks...

You know that wouldn't be to far out of convention for a Supers Game. Not so good in a Cyber Game though.

I thin the idea's have merit. If they're deemed to be +0 Advantages for an Attack paying 1pt to turn them on/off doesn't seem all that wrong to me if it helps further the Genre Convention and/or Gameplay in general.