Time of Crisis

Tom McCarthy

A nice looking superhero adventure for Mutants and Masterminds that looks like something you could easily adapt to Champions or SAS. The adventure feels very much like Crisis on Infinite Earths or Cosmic Odyssey, with the consequences of the action truly epic in scale, yet the obstacles and challenges in the drama remain very much within the scope of the PCs.

By easily adapt, I mean the plotline and ballpark-close character adaptations.

Re: Time of Crisis

Originally posted by Tom McCarthy

A nice looking superhero adventure for Mutants and Masterminds that looks like something you could easily adapt to Champions or SAS. The adventure feels very much like Crisis on Infinite Earths or Cosmic Odyssey, with the consequences of the action truly epic in scale, yet the obstacles and challenges in the drama remain very much within the scope of the PCs.

By easily adapt, I mean the plotline and ballpark-close character adaptations.

uhh huh... And?

see what I did was just by 3 point deduction and then a whopping amount of INT with the limit activation role (8-)

Sure it meant that my career breathing fire was inevitable or atleast highly likley but when it works it works!!

I picked this up last week, mostly because I tend to buy any super-genre adventure I can find as a source of Ideas.

All in all I would give it a rating of "fair" but with some plot logic issues.

*** Spoiler ***

*** Is that enough space? ***

I'm not real familier with the basic setting, so I assume the various charcters in the alternate worlds are alot more meaningful if you are. There seemed alot of Dues Ex Machina involved in getting the PCs involved and the whole plot moving along. Although the idea of setting off a bomb in the same place on several alternate earths was pretty clever reason for all the Dimension Hopping. Some of the plot points, like the bomb detonators the PCs collect being uber-effective weapons vs. the main bad guy (who would normally be unbeatable for heroes of the recomended power level) were a little too convenient. It's like having Dr. Destroyer fight 4 350pt PCs but giving them 40d6 only vs. Dr. D rayguns to balance the fight. It just felt kind of cheap. The easily overthrown 3rd Reich seemed kind of whussy too.

I liked each world in and of itself, with monkey world just oozing 4-color cool, but the whole adventure seemed a little two disconnected & episodic until you get to the end and fight the final bad guy.

I think the whole thing would have hung together much better if there were minions of the main bad guy dimension hopping with you. Recurrent enemies also would keep the whole thing feeling more like a single adventure and less like a tour of the multiverse with a fight at the end.

Maybe they could be real eager to retrieve the detonators from the defused bombs for reasons mysterous to the PCs. If the villian had to invest of himself to get the bombs to work and is worried about the detonators being loose so takes steps to retrieve them it makes them alot less painful as a plot device.