4th Edition supplements??

hancock.tom

Re: 4th Edition supplements??

Horror Hero was an excellent book. It captured the feel of the genre and had some good ideas on implementation. Western Hero was also a good book, but doing western's right is a hard task. Both the GM and the players have to understand the genre. And its a genre focused on a limited number of protagonists (usually one, sometimes two or three). There are notable exceptions, of course, but running an ensemble, which is a requisite for most gaming, isn't easy beyond a single adventure or two (ala magnificient seven). The same can be said of detective stories. They work best as solo games. And even then, both GM and player have to understand the genre. As for Cyberhero. It wasn't a very good book, but some of it was usable. It can be used as written, but its not very wise to do so. Mine it for ideas.

Hmmm, in retrospective I had more fun with Western Hero than with Horror Hero and cyber Hero combined. The background material was nicely done, the included adventure played out very nicely and a had almost everything you wanted to have (train robbers, Indians, a final shoot-out) and some short adventures that gave you more for your campaign. The Deadwood setting was excellent - if only the map had been better it would have been superb. There is a good list of equipment including prices - okay, some stats of Wild West legends might be a little bit high, and you can argue that a scorpion does not nee a Dex of 28, Speed 5 and Running 7", but that is minor to all the good things in the book. Definately worth the money.

Horror Hero and Cyber Hero left me wanteing for some good stuff: Cyberhero feels like converted I.C.E.Cyberspace (which it is), Horror Hero has no feeling of it's own and is second or third (even forth) to other horror games on the market (be it CoC, Chill, Kult, Unknown Armies).

Now, more questions!!!!!!

1. How is 4th ed. Horror HERO? What was it like generally? What did you like/dislike about it?

Thanks to anyone who can help with these questions.

Also, anyone want to sell me your old copy of horror hero??:)

NO.

Being that weird menace is my fave setting, I've found it to be an interesting book.

4th ed had a new -and unwieldy- mechanic for spirits. That mechanic was replaced by the far simpler "inherent power" rules in 5th ed. Basically it was a whole new set of rules for one variant of desolid. So that section is useless, and the large section of monsters -interesting and otherwise- needs a complete rewrite.

It contains three campaigns, a Gothic set post US Civil War, a pulp horror set in the early 20th cent, and a magical conspiracy set in the late 20th century.

The first thing I will say is the the campaigns are *HARD.* The players are normals, and the villians are devious, entrenched, powerful, and have the backing of hell itself, a quasi Cthulloid, and an evil demigod respectively. If you don't have good characters or lots of breaks handy, it can devolve into a Sandy Peterson killfest pretty quickly.

I also found the third section to be "flat" somehow. All three campaigns are atmospheric with 1) Blood and Brimstone 2) Raven monster hordes, or 3) shapeshifters taking over the planet. So you have Hardbitten Cowboys vs Satanspawn, Noir PIs vs Voodoo masters, and ... Guys in Flannel Suits watching other guys doing mysterious things?

Midas