Dragon Wing-Buffet

SableWyvern

NO. This is not about an exotic smorgasbord.

I'm talking about a dragon beating its wings to upset the movement of nearby individuals. After some serious head-scratching, this is what I've come up with:

RKA 1d6+1

Does Knockback +1/4 (I'm not using knockback in this campaign, so this advantage is necessary)

Does Double Knockback +3/4

AoE (Cone, 5") +1

Active Points: 60

No Range -1/2

Does No Damage -2

Real Cost: 17

Energy Blast seems like a better starting place for a non-lethal attack, but it's much of muchness mechanically, except that the RKA involves fewer dice.

Thoughts?

Re: Dragon Wing-Buffet

I have indeed, but I couldn't see any way to usefully apply it. Going back and looking more closely, I can see how the telekinetic grab may be more appropriate than I first suspected.

Edit: In fact, now that I take a proper look at the grab rules, a grab + throw would be just about perfect. And has the benefit of applying the target's strength to the result.

Thanks.

I have indeed' date=' but I couldn't see any way to usefully apply it. Going back and looking more closely, I can see how the telekinetic grab may be more appropriate than I first suspected.[/quote']

You could then apply a AVLD (Anchored STR Only) which forces everyone to grab onto something or be blown over/down.

- Christopher Mullins

Using the Double Knockback advantage was the first thing that occurred to me too.

I'd write it up as Area of Effect Telekinesis' date=' then use it with the Martial Maneuver [b']Shove[/b] for the effect needed.

Could this be fleshed out into a full dragonish martial art? In addition to Shove with the wings, you could use Legsweep with the tail. (If this is an Asian-based campaign, you could give the human form Shaolin Dragon Kung Fu!)

I'd say go with the EB. For one, you'll get more knockback out of it. The TK idea is nice, but gets somewhat cumbersome after awhile, expecially if you have to go and make a STR Roll for every target (the attacker doesn't, but each target does). If you're looking for fewer dice rolled, just using an attack that does KB is probably better.

Here's one that's on a dragon PC in my Champions game:

Wing Buffet: HA +3d6, Double Knockback (+3/4), AOE (6" Cone; +1); HA (-½)

Sure, it's a munchkin hack using HA, but in this case I think it's justified due to the SFX (the dragon's STR should affect the amount of damage/effect).

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say go with the EB. For one' date=' you'll get more knockback out of it. The TK idea is nice, but gets somewhat cumbersome after awhile, expecially if you have to go and make a STR Roll for every target (the attacker doesn't, but each target [i']does[/i]). If you're looking for fewer dice rolled, just using an attack that does KB is probably better.

Here's one that's on a dragon PC in my Champions game:

Wing Buffet: HA +3d6, Double Knockback (+3/4), AOE (6" Cone; +1); HA (-½)

Sure, it's a munchkin hack using HA, but in this case I think it's justified due to the SFX (the dragon's STR should affect the amount of damage/effect).

You forgot Continuous, because a Dragon should be able to sustain a wing buffet over multiple phases.

Continuous is unneccesary, all it would allow the dragon to do is hit the hex each phase without an attack roll - it doesn't really need to make one anyway (no range AOE).

Also, shouldn't it be an AOE radius? If he's flapping his wings I'd imagine it would have greater effect to the sides than to the front.

Continuous is unneccesary' date=' all it would allow the dragon to do is hit the hex each phase without an attack roll - it doesn't really need to make one anyway (no range AOE).[/quote']

Continuous is absolutely neccesary, because without Continuous, the attack is an instant attack. Anyone running into the AoE on the in-between phases would not be affected by the attack without Continuous.

I suppose it could be Continuous, but I feel it is unnecessary. The idea for my version of it is a sudden gust of wind brought about by a quick and violent flapping of wings. The way I see it, to keep it up would be nearly impossible, or would just create a "strong wind" which has no significent game effect.

But sure, if you wanted a sustained blast of air flowing from the dragon out, Continuous would be the way to go.

Maybe a change environment that does KB?

But seriously, Change environment is most likely the best way to go, since you don't want the power to do damage. Penalties to Running, Ranged OCV, and TK effects all seem appropriate, just that it also seems way too expensive.