4 Earth shattering questions!!!!

Demonsong

4 Earth shattering questions!!!!

OK I guess my 4 questions are not earth shattering, but it sounds good right? :)

1) A character has Armor defined as a permanent personal protection Force Field. Under normal conditions you can’t see it and have not way of knowing its there. Once it is hit by an incoming attack this hums loudly, glows a pail green and green sparks play along its surface for 3 or 4 seconds making crackling sounds. Is that description just the special effect of is that worth the -1/4 Visible limitation?

2) Same character, same “Force Fieldâ€, also has KB Defense -5, and Flash Defense Sight 10 points. Now it’s all described as part of the same Force Field, but would you -1/2 link them or just describe them as such? I was thinking that the powers are always on so there would be no call for linking.

3) How would you put together a teleport power that could be used as a replacement for dive for cover?

4) A Character has a power called “Spontaneous Excited Bone Growth†C. it’s basically a HKA defined as bones spike’s rip through his skin and he stabs people with them. Now this Character can make the spikes come out any where on his body he wants; is it just a special effect of the power, or is that a variable special effect +1/4?

That’s it for shattering the earth now. I thank you all for your input, and thoughts.

Thanks

Demonsong

Re: 4 Earth shattering questions!!!!

Originally posted by Demonsong

1) A character has Armor defined as a permanent personal protection Force Field. Under normal conditions you can’t see it and have not way of knowing its there. Once it is hit by an incoming attack this hums loudly, glows a pail green and green sparks play along its surface for 3 or 4 seconds making crackling sounds. Is that description just the special effect of is that worth the -1/4 Visible limitation?

Armor, by its very nature, is invisible, but if you hit someone who has Armor it becomes very apparent that their skin is not normal. What you are describing to me is nothing more than a SFX of having armor. You do not see it or hear it, but when you hit it you know it is there.

2) Same character, same “Force Fieldâ€, also has KB Defense -5, and Flash Defense Sight 10 points. Now it’s all described as part of the same Force Field, but would you -1/2 link them or just describe them as such? I was thinking that the powers are always on so there would be no call for linking.

The powers should not be linked. They are all just a SFX of having a "Force Field."

3) How would you put together a teleport power that could be used as a replacement for dive for cover?

If you mean a power that allows you to not use a combat maneuver, I would say you cannot. Movement is complicated in HERO due to the half-phase action it requires. Someone who has no action left in his phase, due to doing a full-phase action or making an attack, cannot do any movement, or a Dive For Cover, so you cannot really make a power that gives you movement if you cannot take it.

There are some SFX that might help you depending on what you are trying to accomplish:

• Levels in DCV to simulate always moving due to the t-port.

• Extra Defense to simulate your ability to move away from area effect/explosion damage.

• Just doing a regular Dive For Cover with your t-port power.

4) A Character has a power called “Spontaneous Excited Bone Growth†C. it’s basically a HKA defined as bones spike’s rip through his skin and he stabs people with them. Now this Character can make the spikes come out any where on his body he wants; is it just a special effect of the power, or is that a variable special effect +1/4?

Powers are not really limited by what part of the body they can come out of. There is no rule that says an Energy Blast or Killing Attack must always come from the same part of the body. That is really nothing more than a SFX to me. Of course if you are trying to simulate a Damage Shield, or something along those lines, you should be forced to buy the correct Advantages. But if you are just wanting an attack that can come from your hands or feet or elbow, I would just define that as the SFX of the power.

1) Visible Armor is Colossus' metal skin, not what you're describing.

2) Since the "Force Field" is defined as Armor, which is Persistant, I would not allow a Linked Limitation for the KB Resistance.

3) Monolith's suggestion is good...Extra DCV/Defenses, Only When Diving For Cover.

4) It sounds like more of a Damage Shield than Variable SFX.

Re: 4 Earth shattering questions!!!!

well, I would think , Teleportation with Trigger: only when attacked with an AoE. then you could if you want make it require an activation roll, if it fails, then the SFX is the teleporter system didn't teleport him far enough away from the explosion

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd buy this as Penalty Skill levels to offset the penalty given for a dive for cover, and have it based on the character's Half move T-port IE if the char's T=port is 10" then the PSL would be +5. This would all be described as a SFX of his T-port powers.

Once long ago on an island far far away, an old friend and I had a 4 hour guard post to walk, and as was normal with us, we'd choose a Powerset for that post, and twink the crap out of it... and that night on the far away island of Okinawa Warp was born... and Boy oh boy do my players wish I'd never stood guard that night ;-)

WC

Well, the problem with replacing "Dive for cover" with a teleport like maneuver, is that teleport is not a defensive maneuver, and it is my understanding that you could then therefore not abort to it. Now, if you have a defensive power, (like, Desolid for instance) and you have it linked to where you cannot go desolid without activating the "teleport" then that might be better, since you could then abort to that action. I'll have to think on it further as there's something about that solution that doesn't sit right with me, but maybe it might help you or someone else get pointed in the right direction.

What is the SFX of the maneuver? That helps alot. Is it like a "Blink" maneuver or does the character actually teleport to another hex. And if so, how many hexes away can they port?

-T

Is it like a "Blink" maneuver or does the character actually teleport to another hex. And if so, how many hexes away can they port?

Yes, defensive teleport, Blink, or "Port out of harms way". His normal Teleport is 20". So I was thinking 10 ".

I still don't think I an grasping what your trying to do TheTemplar.

Demonsong

1,2,3, I have nothing to add that someone didn't already say. 4, however, is the advantage Indirect at the +1/4 level. Normally, you must define a single location for an attack to originate (hands, forehead, eyes, etc). To be able to move this location around, however, the advantage is needed.

Demonsong:

Fireg0lem:

1,2,3, I have nothing to add that someone didn't already say. 4, however, is the advantage Indirect at the +1/4 level. Normally, you must define a single location for an attack to originate (hands, forehead, eyes, etc). To be able to move this location around, however, the advantage is needed.

This is another good way to look at it. Does any one else has any thing to add because I think Fireg0lem has changed my mind on this one.

Now back to number 1:

The FAQ states:

Visible

Q: If a character takes the Visible Limitation for a power that’s already perceivable by three Sense Groups, how should the GM quantify the effect of the “amplification�

A: The GM should determine the exact effects on a case-by-case basis, based on the special effects involved and similar considerations. As a general rule of thumb, other characters should have at least a +4 bonus to PER Rolls to perceive the use of the power, and/or be able to perceive it over much greater distances than normal, or the like.

I am thinking that maybe the above Armor as FF example should more that meet the requirement. Loud sparking sounds and a sickly green glow would make a great night target. Hummmm? Thoughts?

Demonsong

I am thinking that maybe the above Armor as FF example should more that meet the requirement. Loud sparking sounds and a sickly green glow would make a great night target. Hummmm? Thoughts?

To me, putting a Visible Limitation on a Constant/Persistent power implies that it is always visible when it is activated; not just when the character is hit. For example:

Putting Visible on IR Vision means the eyes glow every time the character uses the IR Vision (Superman's eyes).

Putting Visible on Armor means that the character looks armored when the power is activated (Colossus' skin).

Putting Visible on Luck means you can see the character's eye glow when he uses the power (Longshot).

To me those are exceptable uses of Visible on non-End using powers. Saying your characters Invisible Force Field only becomes Visible when hit sounds more like a some-of-the-time when being used issue, not an all-of-the-time being used issue. To me that implies a -0 Limitation, not Visible.

This is another good way to look at it. Does any one else has any thing to add because I think Fireg0lem has changed my mind on this one.

Forgot to add this in my last post!!!

Fireg0lem is correct. Each attack must have a predefined Point Of Origin. To move that PoO requires the +1/4 Indirect Advantage. Good catch for Fireg0lem!

So, if you have OHID on your armor (powered up form), and you look different when you're powered up (metallic, or gray sharklike skin), then you get to take Visible on the armor as well? Same thing if you have Armor through a Focus?

I wouldn't have thought to tack those one, even though the armor is pretty evident in both cases, b/c it's part of the special effects of the armor, and you're getting points back already by using other limitations to describe the same FX. Some FX call for more than one modifier to describe (or we wouldn't need a huge list of modifiers), but this seems a bit like double dipping to me.

Originally posted by Pattern Ghost

So, if you have OHID on your armor (powered up form), and you look different when you're powered up (metallic, or gray sharklike skin), then you get to take Visible on the armor as well? Same thing if you have Armor through a Focus?

It depends on the SFX effect. Colossus, for example, in 5th Edition would probably not have OIHID on his Armor. He is activating his armor when he steels up, not changing into another form (now his extra STR would have the OIHID though). So for him and that power I would only give Visible. If Colossus could turn into the super-form, but did not change his skin (in other words his skin just gets harder but you cannot see it happening) I would not give the armor either limitation. Also, when OIHID is working as a type of Focus, I would not give the Visible Limitation, as Focuses are always considered Visible. So in some instances you might get both and in other instances you might get neither.

In armor's case there is difference between Superman & Thor, who you cannot tell are durable, and the Thing, who you would automatically assume was somewhat durable.

Visible Armor through a Focus...Most Armor bought through a focus in which the Armor IS the focus should be purchased as OIF (which is worth, if you think about it, the same as OIHID and Visible combined) in which case the power is obvious and does not gain the benefit of an additional -1/4 visible. In some rarer cases a focus (OIF or otherwise) may be clever enough (or perhaps convoluted enough) to warrant an OIF + Visible combo, but I think this probably won't happen to often (shimmering armor projected by magic beans in your back pocket).

MANCER