Two weapon fighting in HtH and Ranged

tunglashr

Is it possible to create a character that can attack in both ranged and HtH combat in the same turn?

The concept is a 6 armed space bug with full ambidexterity and 360 degree vision. I wanted to 'arm' him with 2 pistols and a sword. My first inclination was to give him TWF in both types of combat, but that doesnt allow the combination of sweep and rapid fire.

I guess multiple points of SPD with lims like only usable to make attacks and if properly armed could accomplish the goal, except I was hoping there might be a better solution.

Re: Two weapon fighting in HtH and Ranged

Is it possible to create a character that can attack in both ranged and HtH combat in the same turn?

The concept is a 6 armed space bug with full ambidexterity and 360 degree vision. I wanted to 'arm' him with 2 pistols and a sword. My first inclination was to give him TWF in both types of combat, but that doesnt allow the combination of sweep and rapid fire.

I guess multiple points of SPD with lims like only usable to make attacks and if properly armed could accomplish the goal, except I was hoping there might be a better solution.

A character may use as many Attack Powers (or other attacks) in a Phase as he wishes, provided he meets the restrictions. Combining ranged and non-tanged is generally not allowed, unless the GM approves it. See Hero System 5th Edition Revised, page 358 for details.

A character may use as many Attack Powers (or other attacks) in a Phase as he wishes' date=' provided he meets the restrictions. Combining ranged and non-tanged is generally not allowed, unless the GM approves it. See [i']Hero System 5th Edition Revised[/i], page 358 for details.

Are those rules covered in the un-revised edition as well?

I'm a little confused. Why is Two Weapon Fighting a better buy than 2 Penalty Skill Levels with Sweep or Rapid Fire?

TWF - 10 points.

2 PSLs with Sweep - 3 points.

Hit him twice with your right hand. "Left hand" is just a special effect, isn't it?

This also makes "ambidexterity" superfluous until/ unless the on-hand is injured/ entangled. Am I missing something?

Are those rules covered in the un-revised edition as well?

I'm pretty sure they are, but since I don't have a copy of that handy I can't tell you what page. Look for "Mutiple Power-Attacks" in the index. (It's in the Entering Combat section of the Combat and Adventuring chapter.)

I'm a little confused. Why is Two Weapon Fighting a better buy than 2 Penalty Skill Levels with Sweep or Rapid Fire?

TWF - 10 points.

2 PSLs with Sweep - 3 points.

Well, you can't buy PSLs with Sweep. This from the old FAQ:

Q: Could a character buy Penalty Skill Levels to counteract the standard OCV penalty imposed by a Combat Maneuver, such as the -3 OCV for a Grab By?

A: No. If a character wants to buy PSLs with the attack, he has to define some form of negative OCV modifier they counteract — such as the Range Modifier or Hit Location modifiers. He cannot apply them to, for example, the -3 OCV with Grab By, the -v/5 penalty for Move Through, or the -2 per subsequent attack for Rapid Fire/Sweep. If he wants to counteract the OCV penalty associated with a Combat Maneuver, buy 2-point Combat Skill Levels.

Note that Revised has the same rule, but doesn't specifically mention Sweep which is why I quoted the old FAQ.

But since you can buy two 2-pnt CSLs with Sweep for 4 points, your basic point stands. There have been numerous threads on this topic, and Revised and several Genre books suggest various ways to give TWF a little boost to justify its 10 point cost in games where the optional Sweep Maneuver is allowed. In campaigns where the GM normally disallows Sweep, then TWF is probably worth its cost even without a boost.

TWF - 10 points.

2 PSLs with Sweep - 3 points. [EDIT: or 4 points]

Note that 2WF now also reduces the DCV penalty from halved to -2 (with a suggestion for -1 if the character's halved DCV wouldn't be much better than 2), OR allows the use of Sweep in a game where this optional maneuver would otherwise be unavailable.

I believe this comes from some Fantasy Hero suggestions.

I would allow a character to use a hybrid Rapid Fire/Sweep that included both HTH and Ranged attacks, but they could only apply skills/CSLs that they had in both maneuvers, and would have to do so on a two-for-one basis where applicable.

For example, if a character had the Rapid Attack skill for both HTH and Ranged they could use it with the hybrid maneuver. If a character had 3 CSLs with Sweep and 4 CSLs with Rapid Fire, they would have to apply 3 of each to get a +3 OCV when using the hybrid maneuver, and the fourth CSL for the Rapid Fire maneuver could not be used (since it cannoit be matched with one for the Sweep maneuver). If the character has CSLs that apply to both Rapid Fire and Sweep, they would simply have to use two for the benefits normally conveyed by one CSL.